xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

Do Widows Have No Rights?

Today I intend to share my feelings about some customs that are followed in India. I can't really make out if they really hold some logic. I am talking about the custom of making widows suffer, like they are the ones who are responsible for their husband's death, even if so is the case,then is it not right to hand it over to the police? For no significant reason, they are treated like inferior beings. In earlier times, as when my grandmother lived, the widows were a cursed lot. They were not allowed to have non-vegetarian food, betel leaves and nuts, even red lentils or anything that would taste good, for only the fortunate women with husbands alive could have them. They had to sleep on a mat and not on the bed, couldn't wear sandals, had to walk bare footed , had to shave their hair off and turn bald, couldn't attend any occasion as they were considered unfortunate, not even their own son's and daughter's wedding! Moreover, they were allowed to have meal only once a day. The "Widow Remarriage Act" came into being in the nineteenth century, it was revolutionary but it is always difficult to impose something related to tradition on the masses.There were cases when the widow of the deceased was set on fire with her husband's dead body, she had to prove herself a "Sati". What made the society so cruel that they turn the lives of the widows into hell? Probably, they feared that if had long hair or had food full of protein, or had beautiful feet or wore various colorful costumes( they wear only plain white clothes), they would attract attention of other men, so whose fault is this? How is a widow suffering for her husband's death considered justified? The society should stand by her in support rather than increasing her grief, she has lost one of the most important persons in her life, after all. Nowadays the situation has got better if not changed totally. They are allowed to lead a normal life, also remarry at times, though some people still maintain the conservative bent of mind, being a member of the educated society, they keep their mouth shut. This is a very desirable change in the society and be continuing with an ever increasing pace.

Here I would mention that as education is spreading consciousness in the society with lightning speed, the atrocities have taken a downward trend. The suffering of the widows is now mainly about the loss of their soul-mate, the advocates of social injustice have shaken their hands away out of fear of facing mass resentment. Even my own mother, who unfortunately turned into one, a few years back, was dictated by her in- laws to live a healthy, normal life for her children's well being and more for her own sake. All I can say is that I am proud of my family.

You should be proud of your family if they have have taken a stand against such inhume treatment of women. It is always best to lead by example. I hope eveyone follows your lead, this barbaric treatment of widows should end and end now. It still boggles my mind that female humans are treated so poorly around the globe.