xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Casper7526

How Is Everyone Doing? I'm New Here And Had A Question.

Hey everyone, my name is Casper7526 and I'm new here. I've been looking for a reliable webhost for a while now and thought to myself that this would be a great idea. I mean posting for virtual money that you can spend on a webhost... whoever thought of that gets some big kudo's in my book.Anyway, I'm mainly interested in webhosting for my minecraft related websites, so all you minecrafters out there, whats up! I've tried a few random free hosting services and even though most of them "do the job", I've recently been messing with a new mod on Minecraft called "ComputerCraft" and I've developed a sort of IRC server. So basically it connects to php pages and gets the data thats returned from a mysql database to build a chat program persay.Now the problem I run into with free servers isn't CPU memory.. because even though my scripts are run pretty frequently (each user rechecks a php page every 1-2 seconds (script takes about .1-.2 seconds to run and load) (just simple SELECT from mysql stuff). It's the fact that a lot of free web hosts limit you based on CPU time... So with a decent amount of users I hit the CPU time limits pretty frequently causing major lag issues as it waits for the next minute to pass. (My current host... bytehost allows me 40 seconds of cpu time every minute) Now that's decent until you get 10 people on the IRC server at the same time.)So here's sorta my question, are the packages hosted with Xisto (the site I had to sign up for to get myCENTS) restricted like this? And if they are, what plans are restricted and/or by how much.Thanks again for reading my length Intro, and I hope to see you all around the forums as I do my best to help others and learn more about your community. (While earning myCENTS) hopefully.Sincerely, Casper

First of all, Casper, welcome to the Xisto community.

If web hosting (decent web hosting) is what you are after, you have definitely come to the right place, and as you have seen for yourself, he price is right.

First of all, never mind what your website subject is, as long as it is legal, above board and appropriate (the usual terms and conditions that go about anywhere), it does not matter what your website is about.

Now the problem I run into with free servers isn't CPU memory.. because even though my scripts are run pretty frequently (each user rechecks a php page every 1-2 seconds (script takes about .1-.2 seconds to run and load) (just simple SELECT from mysql stuff). It's the fact that a lot of free web hosts limit you based on CPU time... So with a decent amount of users I hit the CPU time limits pretty frequently causing major lag issues as it waits for the next minute to pass. (My current host... bytehost allows me 40 seconds of cpu time every minute) Now that's decent until you get 10 people on the IRC server at the same time.)

Now, it is unlikely you will run into this kind of problem here, there is no CPU time based time limit here.

Another common problem, usually had with free webhosts, does not exist here: the PHP SAFE MODE is not turned off here.

That was a problem which has proven to be extremely annoying to me on some free web hosts (some of which I only used for testing things anyway), because of the SAFE MODE restriction, sometimes even the simplest scripts refused to run, showering me with errors all over the place.

Once the script was ran here (unaltered), it ran good as gold and without generating any errors.

So here's sorta my question, are the packages hosted with Xisto (the site I had to sign up for to get myCENTS) restricted like this? And if they are, what plans are restricted and/or by how much.

As far as I am aware, none of the Xisto plans know those restrictions.

There are a number of plans, but all of them are quite generous and, what is more, very reliable.

There are also quite a few extras, such as ready-made scripts to run on your site, and Wordpress and Joomla support, and the best one is, none of them will break the bank.

Even if you start with the Logic Plan at $1.95 per month (I started with it and then upgraded to Logic Pro at still only $6.66 a month) you will find there is a lot you can do.

Not only is the web space and bandwidth quite generous, it is also good in the way of the number of MySQL databases you get, the SAFE MODE issue, which I mentioned earlier, and the uptime.

So, if I were you, I would register with Xisto soon and start collecting MyCents credits.

Have fun.

Yep, I've already registered and I'm not sure how long it takes for myCENT to start appearing, but I'm very exicted by the statements you've made. I actually was just suspended yesterday from a free web host for going over the "cpu time" limit as they like to call it even though my scripts accounted for less than 1% of cpu usage. So hopefully I'll see myCENT appear soon and I can start working towards some basic hosting ;)

Your MyCents credits should appear after you have made about 10 posts.You still get your credits in the mean time, and once they are visible, you are good to go.

Hi Casper!The idea of posting messages to the forum to earn web hosting credits has been around for quite a while - Xisto was known as Trap 17 back then.I haven't played MineCraft yet, but there are some gaming community and clan websites being hosted through Xisto / Xisto - Web Hosting (it's where you get to spend your web hosting credits).If your web application takes a lot of CPU time to execute, you probably want to optimize your script or choose a dedicated web hosting package. Xisto does offer a dedicated web hosting package with no limits on the CPU and memory usage of the server that you get. I am not sure if they implement any kind of bandwidth restrictions as I have only used their shared web hosting packages. I have heard of a lot of shared web hosting service providers that deactivate an entire website if the CPU usage gets too high so with ByteHost simply limiting the usage of your website for a minute, it sounds like you are getting a good deal from them.The best part of Xisto / Xisto - Web Hosting is that there are no restrictions placed on the PHP functions that you can use. You can send out email, such as for new user registrations and you can use fopen. However, you shouldn't use the database server for tracking user visits because of the database load.We look forward to hearing more from you on the forums and if you ever need help with some thing, feel free to make a post.

While I can't answer any of your questions, computer geek I am not, still want to say Welcome to Xisto! I'm sure others here will have no problem understanding you. I don't even know what minecraft is. When I first read it I thought maybe you were into jewelry making! :)

Hello CasperWelcome to Xisto if you any questions im sure someone here will be happy to answer for you .You will find that everyone at Xisto very friendly and helpful.If im not wrong is minecraft a computer game as ive heard people mention minecraft.I wont be able to help you with any questions to do with computer but any thing you want to know about cooking dont be afraid to ask i am also an animal lover.So start posting to build your mycents up there are plenty of topics to post in.I look forward to seeing you around and reading your post and learning more about Minecraft.