xisto Community
nanna

My Animals

WOW, I think I wetted the heads of puppies of an entire town :lol: Because I faintly remember the scotch and slideshow bit. As for the slinging around, sheepdog is right.. Many times mums will tug too hard while biting it off or they'll scramble around with the pup still attached, A German Shepherd once stood up and RAN! the pup got yanked a lot and it developed into a really bad hernia, it survived though :)

My own dog had done it during the first pup, I think she was confused about what was happening >_< so she kept twisting and turning and the pup got spun around before I caught it. Distemper too, I hate it when pups develop it even if it happens rarely... It is horrible.

Well, I don't mind my Scotch with ice.**Takes the glass and takes a sip** mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. perfect, you chose a good make too, what a full aroma and flavour.

HA HA HAHAHAHA you were really rubbing it in weren't you? :lol:

Puppies are 3 days old today.I cant believe how much they have grown each of them.Lady being the biggest of all 8.I dont know if this a normal thing but Dido growled at 2 of them we were quiet shocked at this.But other than this she is good with them she feeds them cleans them its so cute especially when all 8 are feeding at one time.She also has mum on her own time so what we do is leave the gate of the whelping box open so she can come and go as she pleases.I hope we are doing the right thing doing this as we looked at it as she cant feed the pups all day long we think she she should have a break from pups now and again.Dido dont stay to long away from her babies.We having to keep mozart and dad Lucky away from Dido and the babies as for the moment as when they come near the sitting room she gose to attack mozart and lucky so weve got a stair gate in the door way of the sitting room we are lucky niether lucky or mozart can jump the gate.Me and Mrdee are so enjoying having the puppies here :-)

I think it is best for everyone concerned if mom can get away from them when she wants to. It is rare that they want to be away from them much the first few days, or even a week, but before long they are wanting a break. Especially when the puppies teeth start coming in and their toenails grow out and harden. It would concern me a bit that she growled at them. I have had a few dogs over the years, nearly all the Mastiff breeds that would growl or even bite their pups if the pups would happen to crawl by the food dish. I have had most of the Mastiff breeds at one time or another, including the Dogue De Bordeaux, Neapolitian, Bull and English. Never raised any English Mastiff pups, lost my females to rectal prolapse before they ever had pups, so I don't know how they would be with pups. However, all 3 of the other Mastiffs would bite their puppies if they got near the feed. They really suck as mothers. If she continues to growl at them, you may have to keep the feed pan out of the pen, if that's where your keeping it now. It's better for the moms to be able to eat when they want to, but if they chomp the pups you have to feed them only when they are away from the pups. As mean as my little Terriers are to each other as adults, they are amazingly good with their pups. It is rare that they will bite their pups, but sometimes at about 7 weeks or so they will snap at them once in awhile.

Sheepdog i dont think Dido growling and snapping at the puppies has anything to do with her food as she dont eat in the whelping box she eats in another room.This has been happening the last three days its not constant its now and again.Im wndering if its she goes to clean a pup and it wont let her so she telling the pup off.Or maybe when pups are feeding and one just been fed and it goes to feed again she maybe telling the pup not to be greedy.Apart from this problem she feeds them and cleans them with no problem.Is it normal that she still nesting as she keeps scraping the blankets into one pile.

Humm, she could be talking to them I suppose, maybe nobody told her pups can't hear till they are a couple weeks old. Only senses pups are born with are smell and touch. Eyes will open at about 10 days. Don't panic if they are milky looking when they first open. Yes, the mom's will root around in any bedding all the time. She could be looking for puppy poo's to clean up or just trying to get more comfortable, you know, like when your pillow is lumpy under your head.

I noticed today Dido seems to growl and snap at the puppies when they go to feed from her when a puppie gets close to her face or mouth then she growls and snaps at that puppie.Yesterday when Dido rolled the blankets up they was to puppies rolled up in them.so i took the 2 blankets out and just left one in the whelping box which of course she rolled up.Luckily the bottom of the whelping box is soft.

I have always avoided using towels, or blankets in the whelping box for that very reason. I'm always afraid that a puppy will get rolled up or tangled up in the blanket and end up starving cause it doesn't get to eat when it should. It only takes the smallest amount of dehydration, which they can get in a very short period of time to end up with fading puppy syndrom. And once they start that you can pretty much kiss them goodbye. Pups need to eat very often when they are tiny newborns. It's also easier for mom to clean up after them if they are on a firm surface. And as pups start to walk around, those little toenails get hung up in the blankets and can cause leg injuries. You don't want pups on a real smooth slick surface, or you can end up with "swimmers." What works best for us here is replaceable hard board floors we can take out not only to wash, but they are easy to replace should the dogs end up digging them up. They give the pups really good traction when they start walking.

The puppies are two weeks old today the last 14 days have flown by.Their ears have been opened for three days now.They have been walking for two days now its funny seeing them walk then all of a sudden they wobble over :D .And today they eyes opened its made them look like puppie dogs now.And tomorrow we got someone coming to look at the puppies and they are interested in the golden lab a boy.It makes you think that now with the ones to go we got another 6 weeks with them which i want to enjoy every minute with them as then comes the sad part of them going to new homes.I will post more photos on here over the next few days.

I would like to reply to this topic too and share what animals/pets I have :)I like animals and pets myself too, even though I live in a flat, I have a dog, which is 10 years old now. It's a mixed Schnauzer, it's color is black with some white feet and white stomach. Also it has a long tail :)My wife has a small fish in an aquarium.Moreover, I used to have a chinchilla, two nice white lab rats, 3 birds and lots of cats :DChinchilla is really a nice pet, even though it needs a lot of space to run around.By the way, my brother has a snail, it's called Achatina fulica, it's quite easy to take care of it, it needs to eat something, calcium and water, it really likes water :DHere is how it looks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achatina_fulicaAs I live in a flat, I can't have a lot of big animals, so small ones are quite nice too, the main thing is to take care of them. :P

The puppies are two weeks old today the last 14 days have flown by. Their ears have been opened for three days now. They have been walking for two days now its funny seeing them walk then all of a sudden they wobble over :D . And today they eyes opened its made them look like puppie dogs now. And tomorrow we got someone coming to look at the puppies and they are interested in the golden lab a boy. It makes you think that now with the ones to go we got another 6 weeks with them which i want to enjoy every minute with them as then comes the sad part of them going to new homes. I will post more photos on here over the next few days.

Awwwww Your update is so heart warming and heart breaking at the same time... It feels so amazing to watch them grow but it is so sad in your case that you'll have to let them go soon. Is Lady(golden girl) still snowy and tubby? We are all waiting for the pictures :)

I like animals and pets myself too, even though I live in a flat, I have a dog, which is 10 years old now. It's a mixed Schnauzer, it's color is black with some white feet and white stomach. Also it has a long tail :) My wife has a small fish in an aquarium.

Wow, it is good to know we have so many animal lovers here, Sheepdog has a Schnauzer so maybe you could share a picture of your doggy, what kind of fish does your wife have?

Moreover, I used to have a chinchilla, two nice white lab rats, 3 birds and lots of cats :D Chinchilla is really a nice pet, even though it needs a lot of space to run around. By the way, my brother has a snail, it's called Achatina fulica, it's quite easy to take care of it, it needs to eat something, calcium and water, it really likes water :D Here is how it looks: Achatina

Never had a chance to own a chinchilla but are they as fast as squirrels? I had a few squirrels. As for the snails, I love them had these when I was a school girl, our school used to have groups of students pick them off the school walls or classrooms :P so I used to bring back home many(Don't think mum ever approved of them :D). Sadly, I was forced to rehabilitate them into the garden since they became a nuisance.

Wow, it is good to know we have so many animal lovers here, Sheepdog has a Schnauzer so maybe you could share a picture of your doggy, what kind of fish does your wife have?

Never had a chance to own a chinchilla but are they as fast as squirrels? I had a few squirrels. As for the snails, I love them had these when I was a school girl, our school used to have groups of students pick them off the school walls or classrooms :P so I used to bring back home many(Don't think mum ever approved of them :D). Sadly, I was forced to rehabilitate them into the garden since they became a nuisance.

My wife has a Siamese fighting fish, it's about half year old and can only live alone in an aquarium, as it eats other fishes or fights with them :D But it looks nice and looking at it you may also relax, as it's quite gorgeous. Here is a link about that little fish:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siamese_fighting_fish

The fish my wife has looks more like this:

Posted Image

It lives for about 3 years.

I am currently at work and don't have a photo of my dog, but it's not really a Schnauzer, it's a mixed Schnauzer with a mixed dog, as it has long tail and the body isn't like a real Schnauzer.

Chinchilla I had was really fast, it could run with it's two legs from one room side to another really fast and could jump quite hight, over a meter, but it was afraid to jump down or from table to the chair if it's a bit longer distance, don't know why. But it was like that when it was young, later, it got slower, I guess due to it ate quite a lot and got a bit fat? and could jump like it used to before.

It really needs a lot of space to run around and as most of it's live is in a cage and it only runs in the room for 1 hour a day, it's the reason it could get fat. My chinchilla didn't want to use the wheel to run, don't know why :D If you live it alone in the room without watching what it does, it might gnaw things, like my remote control buttons, my mobile phone buttons, wires and etc. :D

Here is some info about chinchillas, my chinchilla looked similar to the first chinchilla photo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchilla

I used to have a web-page about my dog and my chinchilla, but they're off-line now.

Thanks for joining in the topic. Gosh, just think of the fun you could have if you didn't have to live in a flat! If you even had a house and yard no telling how many pets you'd have! You'd just go plum crazy if you were out on a farm!I am glad you are at least able to have one dog. Schnauzers are great dogs, even the mixes are nice, they usually get the Schnauzer's smarts. I used to think chinchillas were kind of cute, and fish can be fasinating to watch in their tanks but I'm not much of a fan of those types of pets, what can I say, I'm a dog person. I want a pet that can react to me. One I can interact with.

new photos of the puppies.I hope you like them.More to come soon.The first puppie has been taken the boy golden lab goes by the name of Buster.

post-123091-0-74812500-1321394493_thumb.jpg

post-123091-0-78907900-1321394517_thumb.jpg

post-123091-0-42700600-1321394535_thumb.jpg

post-123091-0-21138600-1321394554_thumb.jpg

post-123091-0-99097400-1321394586_thumb.jpg

Well people your not going to believe what happend to me today.I had two shocks but funny shocks.I was stood looking at the puppies in the whelping box and all of a sudden i got the urge to pick one up for a cuddle.So i picked up lady the puppie that our daughter is keeping and im looking at her fat belly and i look and i notice that lady has got a willy so lady is not a lady now he is a marley lol.I laid Marley back in the whelping box and see gaston the puppie we are keeping laying there so i pick him up for a cuddle.While im cuddeling Gaston im looking at one of the other chocolate labs and i notice the chocolate lab has a willy so i look at Gaston thinking ive picked up the wrong chocolate lab and Gaston has a willy too.We now have the task of choosing which chocolate lab we are keeping.Im a bit sad as we were keeping gaston the first born puppie but which one is the first born one now we will never know now.