xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k_nitin_r

Driving In Floods

After having driven through flood waters over the past three days, I've had my ride sputter and choke through one huge puddle but didn't leave me stranded and managed to get me all the way back home. I had the air filters and engine dry overnight and the engine runs fine now. There still is a squeaking sound whenever I start it up, which I believe is a belt that may have come loose from driving around on (the lack of) terrain suited for a boat.There are some drivers out there who were stranded in the water and probably are in need of some expensive repairs now. The key thing to remember is that if water does enter the car through the exhaust, it may not reach the engine because it has a long way to travel and has to go through the catalytic converter. The most damage you can cause is a cracked catalytic converter, assuming that you were running hot before you hit the water. Most engine repairs are required after water enters through the air intake of the engine. One way to tell if water entered the engine through the air intakes is to check if the air filters are wet. Even if your air filters are wet, there is a small chance that the flood water merely splashed onto the air intakes and didn't enter all the way into the engine. Next, check the engine oil with the dip stick to check the color of the oil. If the oil is either golden, brown, or black, your engine should be okay but if the oil looks milky or foamy, you should have your car taken to the service center.Repairs for a flood-affected engine involves taking the engine apart and rinsing it with oil to get rid of the water. While you are at it, you might as well get some decarbonizing done if your engine has clocked a considerable mileage on it. The workshop just might be able to cut you a deal since they've got the engine opened up already.If you have flood insurance, you might want to check with your insurance agent if you are covered when the flood damage occurs while you are driving the vehicle. Some insurance firms cover it while others dont under their standard policy and some insurance companies might leave out coverage due to natural calamities entirely to offer a more competitive rate to you for the insurance premium. Also, some insurance surveyors would check to see if the water entered the engine by checking the dipstick for the engine oil and if it does indicate the presence of water, they will not cover the repair charges. At times, all you need is to just let the car dry and it should run just fine. If it does not, you need repairs but it does not hurt to check the air filters and engine oil.