xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Eza

A Tree Garden Why the mycents calculation is secret.

A story with a message

The owner of the tree garden hires some workers. He sents the workers into the tree garden. Some workers work under the apple trees. Other workers work under the pear trees. And some members work under the orange trees. At the end of the day the owner of the tree garden pays the workers their share. He says: 'What tree did you work under? The apple tree? Than this is your payment.' The other worker he asks: 'What tree did you work under? The pear tree? Here is your payment.' And to the last worker he says: 'What trees did you work under? The orange trees? So here is your payment.' And because all the workers get different wages they ask the owner of the tree garden: 'Why did you not tell us before we started to work what work under which tree pays out the most?' And the owner of the tree garden replies: 'Now the complete tree garden is taken care off. When I would have told you before the start of the work which work under what tree would pay more and what work under which tree would pay less you all might have been working under the trees that pay the most.'

Posted Image

The meaning of the story

The calculation of mycents.

The same idea of the story applies to the earning of the mycents. When the system that calculates the mycents is published people might start to write posts that are composed in the way that generates the most mycents for the less effort. This probably means that it is a good thing that the calculating system of the mycents is for a big part secret.

Posted Image

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

welp, very creative post and i believe there is a lot of truth to it as well. it's been a long time theory of mine. but even with some of the best intentions, it will most likely lead to some negative consequences. now i don't know if buffalo help was let in on the little secret algorythm of the mycent system, but he was the only person(not opaque) who posts about how users will be able to make the most of the mycent system. i tried to find that post a while back but it seemed to have either been deleted or hidden along with the original updated mycent thread or i was just looking in the wrong place.in any case, i know i am one of the very few members who remember what it said. opaque is a coder so i always assumed that it was more complex than people were trying to assume.if anyone is ever up for it, we can try a little experiment and each write exactly a 200 word post or so and see who gets the most mycents out of it. there couldn't be any posts but that one post/s between when the mycent system updates though.again, nice creative post, but double posting is still against the rules....

The MyCENTs system remains a mystery to us just as Google is a mysterious search engine and more of a black box to most people. Yet, there are lots of people who claim to be able to put their websites on top of the Google search results page because of certain guidelines that they follow. The guidelines are often developed through analysis of different websites that appear on top of the search results and the differences from others that did not quite make it to the top.The experiment to write a two hundred word post is an interesting one. It's an attempt to reverse engineer the myCENT system by using the inputs and outputs and attempting to guess what it is that the application or script looks for when it evaluates the input to produce the given output.One thing is for sure though. Word count is definitely one of the metrics that helps in earning myCENTs because if it were not, the one-liners would have received as many myCENTs as the long one-page posts that anwii and some others on the forum are popular for. When accounting for the posts that add to the myCENTs there is no real way to determine which of the posts count toward the the myCENT credits. The myCENT script simply emails the number of posts and the myCENTs received so it would take a period of inactivity after making a post to be able to analyze what really happens behind the scenes. Even if there were someone manually setting the myCENTs against each post, we would not really know.