xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Sata Drive Now Not Detected In Bios SATA HDD with Windows 7 OS now not recognised

After getting several blue-screens with (mostly) different codes each time, BIOS now does not recognise SATA WD 1TB HDD with Windows 7 OS. BOOTMGR missing, tried to repair using install CD to no avail. Tried re-install but not recognised by windows either.Please help!

Hi!If your computer tells you that the BOOTMGR is missing, that does not mean that the SATA drive is not being detected by the BIOS, but rather that means that the bootloader is unable to load the files needed to start up the computer. The fact that you got blue screen errors means that you could have problems with the hard drive too. Open up the case and check all the cable connections. If all else fails, then you probably have yourself a bricked hard drive. You may be able to boot up with another medium, perhaps a LiveCD or another hard drive and then copy some of your data across.I have a Western Digital external USB hard drive and it ran for a couple of years and is still running as it should be. Perhaps your drive just lived its life. Most people have hard disk drives that just keep running on and on and on while others have had to replace their disk drives every other year. Typically, a hard drive should last you at least two years before they run out of the warranty period, so any life you get out of the hard drive beyond that point is just about being lucky... and most people I know have been incredibly lucky to not have had even a single hard disk crash. Their hard drives grew obsolete because they were too small or they used a different interface type.There are two different schools of thought about how to get your drives to last longer. One group of people says that you ought to leave the hard disk drive running all day unless you plan to leave it unused for over 6 hours to prevent the wear and tear from affecting it while another group of folks say that you can turn it off unless you plan on using it within the hour to reduce the wear and tear on the bearings. With solid state drives, it depends more on the number of reads and writes than on being turned on and off. I have my computers running all day and they haven't had any real problems yet.