xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spawn_syxx9

Limewire Users question

Does the new Limewire file sharing prog work with Windows XP Service Pack 2?I used to use Kazaa or WinMX and both wouldn't work due to the firewall even though I put it through so that it excluded them from the process. I even went onto their sites and got the neccessary numbers I guess to put in and it still didnt' work. Do any of you use both?

i dont know if it works, but limewire is PACKED with spyware. even more than Kazaa! if your going to use it, then go to download.com and do a search for adaware se. it's amde by lavasoft and is probably the BEST free syware/adware removal tool available. it's even better than the stuff norton provides.

i used to be a fan of Kazaa, but one of my friends introduced me to limewire, and since then i dont even use kazaa any more, it has no spyware, and it is so much easier to search for things, but answering you question it does work with SP2 of windows.

Yes it does and I love limewire I used to use kazaa and I mesh and Blubster but then I switched to limewire. But I have a feeling it will end up being like Kazaa were all the songs are messed up and you get viruses easily. So hopefully it doesn't because I love limewire and it is easy to find like underground bands that aren't that popular yet.

i use limewire. it works fine with sp2. limewire is better than winmx and others. but itunes and napster own all.

I'm entirely sure that Limewire has no spyware and I'm quire sure that it doesn't have adware. It does have something called Grokster though that is addded to the regsitry. If it is removed it comes back, as I've tried getting rid of it (one scanning program of mine said it was malware of some sort).

I just Googled it and the result is http://www.grokster.com/ - another P2P utility. It seems to me that Limewire shares its technologies. The Grokster web site says that it uses adware on it's program, but I haven't noticed any adware/pop-ups from Limewire.

I don't know what this Grokster installation from Limewire is from, but it doesn't seem to cause any trouble.

If you have Limewire and it makes your computer slow (internet), it's because you're allowing a lot of bandwidth to be used by people downloading from you. Close the programs or change the settings to avoid this problem.