xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
flatron

Please Help With Pc Not Starting

hi, really hope someone can help me.Came home last night. My PC is nearly always on, but it had turned itself off when i got home.It now wont start.When i try to power up, the power light comes on for a second and the fans start to move, but after about 3 seconds, it shuts off. Whilst experimenting, ive realised that if press the restart button and the power button at the same time, then the light and the fans stay on, but the monitor still says ''no pc input'' and nothing actually happens.I've tried with a different monitor and its the same.i use XP home edition.PC is about 3 years old.not sure what to do. I've also given it a clean inside this morning, as in the past, that has helped when i've had issues with itcheers

If you know how to remove and insert RAM modules on your mother board, then just remove them once and insert it again, mostly your problem will be solved. Most of the time a damaged RAM will cause problems like that, so just check it once.. but just little careful when doing so..

Could you please elaborate more. Does it give out any Sounds before turning off ?Is your SMPS heating up ?If its not heating and the sounds are also not there .. then may be the CPU is heating up.Kindly give us some more observations, without this we can only guess

hi, thanks for your replies. I am having to type from my mothers laptop which i think has its own issues as it seems to move the cursor as i type at random meaning i have to keep correcting and editing what i type!!anyway:I removed my memory sticks and the cd rom plugs, and now, I stays powered on without me having to hold down the restart button at the same time as the power button. Still not able to get a reaction from the monitor or the keyboard though.I will give all the details I can, but I dont know much at all about PC's.You asked about sounds. There aren't any sounds to report at the moment. No unusual beeping or anything. I press the power on and all I can really hear is the sound of the fans spinning.nothing feels hot. It's been turned off over night.I dont know what or where the SMPS is, but before when it ws only on for a second (unless i held down restart at the same time as the power button) nothing had time to get hot because it was only on for 2 seconds??

friend of mine who knows a little about computers says it doesn't sound good and i'll likely have to replace the motherboard at least, and that im probably better of getting a new pc.Really annoyed. This computer has been so cool. Gutted I've only been able to enjoy it for a few years.I cant really afford a new PC either, so i guess ill try and see if any friends have any old slow ones lying about that i can have :(Next question. I have lots of documents and files on my pc that i didn't back up. It would be a double kick in the teeth if I also lost all my stuff!!Assuming that my PC isn't broke due to a virus how can I go about copying the stuff from the hard drive to a different pc?I guess I cant just install it into a different PC and away I go??What can I do??thanks