xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bhatnaashish098

Installation Of Linux How to install linux

Sorry wanted to edit this post that really made no sense what I first put forward lol.Apologies I will boil it down to as minimal points for you to understand better what I am trying to explain.Linux is just purely an OS right?You may think if you've been using Windows or OSX up until now, which includes all these nice apps (short for applications, hopefully I am not sound patronising, just want to educate you a bit in how an OS really works) right?The apps are not part of the OS, the apps are what talks to the OS (in Linux this is reffered to as the Kernel), that is all Linux is, is a kernel.There's all sorts of flavours of Linux out in the digital world, which have the Linux Kernel (the actual OS), which does nothing else but handle requests by the actual applications, and carries out whatever they require right?In a nutshell i would say if you havent ever used Linux before I would go for the LiveCD, that is what I first did when I wanted to play around with it, but did not want to adjust my hard drives to accommodate for it.I won't go too indepth with the actual install as this can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be, even for the higher end devleoper systems like say Solaris, which is an Open source operating system that Sun Microsystems used to own before Oracle took them over, is quite a high end developer Operating system, you'd have to do some tweaking to get it working the way you want it to.With Ubuntu (the one I'd advise you use) the Desktop edition of it, would be the best, that way you can really have a play around with it, I would go for the LiveCD version if you haven't used any flavours of Linux before.That way you can see if you actually like Linux.Hope this is alot better than my first post on this thread, went far too much into the technical advances of the Linux OS.Finally best of luck with it!

Edited by Jez (see edit history)

Yes you can use live DVD/CD to boot up linux, but if you want to install linux just download them from distribution website and burn image on a disk (there is other ways too like copying the image on a flash memory but if you want to do it as fast and simple as you can just burn the image you have downloaded on a disc) and boot from it, in the boot options you will got some options for installing the distribution that you want. after choosing that option you will get some other options about choosing partition or creating one (if its the first time you install linux you need to create a linux partition, I recommend you to create one specially for linux) and other steps is just easy to follow. and remember that providing a password for admin in linux is necessary and the password should be long enough too.About above post i should say nowadays linux are more complete than windows when you just install them, now if you install ubuntu you will get lots of default apps like office , GIMP , media player and many other things that you will not get on the default installation of windows. with help of software manager and synaptic you will have the advantage of getting any software you want with just some simple clicks and everything you get through them is completely legal and you don't have to worry about the license. and for any newbie i recommend Linux MINT , it is a complete distribution with lots of multimedia compatibility and many other built in advantages.

Hi!

Anybody know the steps of linux installation . i want to install linux on my pc but i don't know the procedure of installing it kindly guide me the procedure of installing linux.

hi..

first of all i am happy that you want to install linux

here is the procedure to install linux or UBUNTU operating system in your system.

assuming that you already have windows on it

step1 : you create a partition using partition manager where you want to install linux(ubuntu).

partition manger can be accessed in the following manner

Start>controlpanel>administrative tools>create and format partitions harddisk

step 2: you use ubuntu USB stick which can be created by using unetbootin software or the ubuntu CD which you got

step 3 : if you are using usb stick

1) restart

2) go to bio setup and set boot order from internal HDD to boot from USb drive as primary priority

3) system will start

4) set the language, default key board settings

5) set the clock

Posted Image

6) during the partition allotment go for some thing else option

By default, Ubuntu’s installer configures two partitions – the first for /, the root directory, and the second for Swap. When creating partitions for installing any desktop Linux distribution, my recommendation is to create the following four partitions:

/boot, the boot partition. This is where programs critical for booting the system will reside.

/, the root directory. The bulk of the programs used for running the system will be installed here.

Swap, unformatted disk space for use as virtual memory.

/home, the partition where your home directory will be located. In the course of using the system, files and folders you create will reside in various folders here.

Posted Image

first of all you delete the partition you allocated for it

then it will show that much amount of unallocated space

To begin configuration, select the free space as shown, and click on Add.

The first partition will be for /boot. When setting up an LVM-based system using an Alternate Installer ISO image, the default disk space allocated to /boot is 258 MB. However, only about 22 MB of that is used, so anything thing between that size range will do. For this tutorial, the default will be used. The mount point will, of course, be /boot. The default file system is ext2. OK.

Posted Image

The second partition will be for Swap, disk space that the computer may use as virtual memory. The suggested size for Swap is 2000 MB. Select “swap area” from the “Use as” dropdown menu. OK.

Posted Image

The third partition will be for /, the root directory. The default journaling file system on Ubuntu 11.04 is ext4. You may stick with it or choose another journaling file system available. The installer recommends a minimum of 4.4 GB for Ubuntu 11.04, but on a new installation, less than 3 GB of disk space allocated to / is used. Note that as you install additional application after installation, disk space used will grow, so be generous here. I think 10 GB should be more than enough. OK.

Posted Image

The last partition will be for /home. The file system is ext4, and you may allocate all available disk space to it. OK.

Posted Image

All the partitions have been configured. Before clicking Install Now, you need to change where GRUB, the boot loader, will be installed. By default, it will be installed in the MBR of the computer’s internal disk. But that is not what you want. You want to install GRUB in the MBR of the external disk. So, under the “Device for boot loader installation” section, click on the dropdown menu, and select the entry that matches the external disk that you just partitioned. Once that is done, continue with the rest of the installation.

Posted Image

after selecting appropriate disk for boot loader you click o installl now