xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevey

Linux, Linux, Linux................... Hey i thot it was supposed to be cheap.

hey peeps well i guess free doesnt necessarily mean cheap, well i downloaded my linux for free but setting it up cost me a *BLEEP* load of money, well actually u know , when i come to think about it , it cost me more than it would have for windows, well maybe its coz i wanted to run both windows and linux the same time, coz with dual boot the system did not recognise my usb modem and i could not connect to the internet, well so i bought the vm workstation for a whole 200 and something dollars then i had previously also bought.Acronis disk director suite for something close to 90 dollars, so do the math lol. costs alot, *****************and i aint evens sure its worth it , is it??????????*******

Rely, how did you do that. I get mandrake for 1 dolar, and slackware for 0,5 dolars. What?s your modem, maybe I can help?

Actually, if use SuSE, Slackware or Fedora Core, they SHOULD be able to detect your USB devices. It works with me, I have a USB keyboard and a mouse, which it detects, plus SuSE Linux will ask you if your modem is USB or using a CAT5 cable.xboxrulz

Yes, It?s nice whwn tou are saying USB mouse or keyboard, but for many USB modems need driver. For my USB modem if SmartLink modem driver ( http://www.slink.com/ ). USB modems are actualy software modems, but those rs232 doesn?t need anu drivers!!!!!

I Love Linux Very much.Because of its performance.I tried the whole versions of OS By Microsoft(Windows 98,2000,ME,XP,Vista etc) but the main problem of these Operating System is that It slow down after we using it a long time..We want to reinstall after a long time.But in the case of Linux the performance will be similar from the time of installation and for a long time.

hey peeps well i guess free doesnt necessarily mean cheap, well i downloaded my linux for free but setting it up cost me a *BLEEP* load of money, well actually u know , when i come to think about it , it cost me more than it would have for windows, well maybe its coz i wanted to run both windows and linux the same time, coz with dual boot the system did not recognise my usb modem and i could not connect to the internet, well so i bought the vm workstation for a whole 200 and something dollars then i had previously also bought.Acronis disk director suite for something close to 90 dollars, so do the math lol. costs alot, *****************and i aint evens sure its worth it , is it??????????*******

It does cost sometime but not in the way you mentioned. some of the ways you mentioned, there we can cut the costs. Here, You used paid software "Acronis "and in fact there are plenty of freeware available as alternative of acronis disk creator. that settles for disk and partitioning. on that point can you tell me, how much you paid for software on windows and linux? i mean by comparison.

Also some linux distros also available as free cd which are shipped to your mail for free of cost. for example, ubuntu, mint etc. some of the distors in events and linux user groups meet are available free of cost. and on that point can you tell me windows 7 as free release in future? not only that windows 7 targeted region wise users and discriminated based on continent. so definitely some os services will vary as per these editions and you've to pay for features. now is this thing happens with linux?

another point is recognizing some of the devices, so let's clear one point even windows do have problem recognizing some hardware. linux has limited support in case of drivers, and if anyone contributes it becomes available instantly to the rest of the world. so there are few distros where usb devices can be easily recognized while some distros have trouble with it.

and let's talk about virtualization software. Do you know Sun's VirtualBox is free? Bochs is also free. in that case why you purchased VMware?

I think you took few decisions in a bit hurry.
Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)