xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wszone

Beside Novel Or Fiction, What Do You Read? Wonder what books trap17 people read.

In terms of cookbooks, I don't read them cover to cover but I occasionally read about a certain technique or type of food if I'm interested. I like to read pop non-fiction like Freakonomics and The Tipping Point...they deliver information but are not nearly as dry as a textbook. Any book that covers some area I'm at least mildly interested in, I'll usually at least try to read.

To be honest, I don't really read books. I used to read books all the time a couple years back but now, I find it hard to pick up a book and start reading it. To answer your question about what I read, I read internet blogs/articles/forums and that's probably most of the reading I do outside of school. I definitely think it is a good idea to read a more diverse array of books just to be more well rounded in your understanding of different things. If I were to choose a book to read, I would probably read some kind of informational book or maybe fiction once in a while. There's just something about picking up a book and reading that makes me uninterested. I guess different people have their own way of reading.

I also don't read books as much as I used to, at least not cover to cover. Usually I'll just skim the table of contents and pick out the chapters that I think are most interesting. Most of my reading is blogs and online articles as well, and sometimes journal articles as well. I do find though that I enjoy a good book much more than a good article; it's much more satisfying. I'm trying to get back into my book reading again.In terms of what I read, I usually gravitate toward health topics, both mental and physical, and I also really like to read about human factors. Anything that looks well-written and not dry is potential reading material though. I'm not really picky about what I choose to learn about.Nonfiction is becoming my new favorite; I'm not much of a lit junkie anymore, even though I used to LOVE novels.

Well... I'm pretty sure I have never read a "friction" book :)Anyways.... I actually haven't read any books in a while... but the one that I usually do read is my Bible :D.When I do read other books though.. it is usually a novel or some sort of fiction.

I'm an odd sort of reader, I will go through stages where I read loads then stop for protracted periods of time!When I have time to commute I will read various non-ficiton stuff, recently just finished a book on the political history of Britian (by Andrew Marr, the bbc political correspondent), and it was really interesting, I never thought I would say this but I think that Margaret Thatcher was maybe not such a bad prime minister now!I do read novels (I've recently started the Ian Fleming collection of James Bond novels - which are remarkably good fun).I'm also like reading fiction that is based on people experience and observations.Currently I'm reading "a year in the Merde" who's main character is Paul West (I forget the author off hand, I will try to edit the post later), about a bloke who has emigrated from England to France, which is rather amusing (and pertinent as I am about to do the same thing). It is loosely based around the experiences of the author and his other ex-pat acqaintaincies.I generally stop reading when I start traveling to work by car, or I only have a very short trip. I love the internet and being able to download various radio programmes from the BBC iplayer site (this will be very important to me when I get to France!).Dave

i have not read any of those books ( because for one i do not read many books ) and i have not even heard of those books

I like reading a lot of things, but my favorite kind of book is fiction so... But other then that, I like reading magazines with interesting articles (mainly science-y and health-ish things). And then sometimes I read the bible. I also like books on how to do things, DIY/craft books, and maybe a little poetry if I'm in the mood. Every once in a while I open my school textbooks and read them to jump a little ahead.Sometimes I need to check out a few biographies and history books for school projects and stuff. I remember really liking this one on Amelia Earhart. But probably my favorite was this one book on all the different kinds of penguins. ^^

Edited by bk2070 (see edit history)

I think at a place like this you're likely to hear a lot of people saying that they read technical publications, such as how-to guides or language learning books. Personally, I read (of course) technical publications, physics papers, news publications, trade releases, and a few comical prints.

(Oh, and not that it's related, but I can't understand why the Kindle is so popular -- I like my books in print form.)

Anyone read sth like "The Goal", SuZe Orman's books, or cook book?

Hmm. I read science books (physics and chem), to keep up with new things..not really fond of it, it's just work-related. I love reading history books and those books that teaches you how think effectively. Of the books that aren't novel or fiction, I'd say the best would be books about archeology and history (old civilizations, mysteries, etc.)..

Does poetry count? I'm an avid reader...i read anything that has something to do with literature (especially Elizabethan sort of) and as long as something is relevant in out modern world!I do read inspiration texts in my free time and other books include comics, sport mags, etc etc.I read anything..!

I love the mathematics books and especially the tips and tricks book on mathematics. Some of them are so good that you just ponder over for hours even when you know the answer due to sheer amazement.I think to have a positive attitude while learning mathematics helps a lot as we are open to ideas and we a re able to visualize the problems better and understand the results in a much better way.The problem that is given must be understood first. If we fail to understand the problem then the task becomes monumental. We just start with the right attitude and try to understand the problem first.We need to explore maths in our day to day routine for example paying the grocery to finding the electricity bill ammount based on units consumed. Maths is everywhere, we just need to fetch it for ourselves and understand it better. We also need to talk more about mathematics with ourselves and friends, say for example give them a puzzle on maths and seee how they do it. Most often you will give the answer an d see them amazed.This helps in social and intellectual building and is a great booster of mind.

Oh, I do love to read! Have ever since I was a little child. As a kid I read all the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and of course, Little House on the Prairie. Too bad the Harry Potter series wan't around back then. I also loved the series of books by Walter Farley, the Black Stallion series. I usually don't re read books I've already read, but I bet I read the Black Stallion a dozen times when I was a kid. I practicly had the first page memorized. But my reading is stricly for entertainment. I would never read tech manuels, or that sort of thing. And unless I wanted to learn about a particular subject how too books aren't really on my list. What I enjoy reading most now are Sci Fi and fantasy books, maybe the occasional mystery. I was on a kick of Louie Lamour westerns for awhile too. I never could see the interest in romance novels. They are so boring!