xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
suprkat

Dvd Drive Help

I have an HP desktop pc with Intel 2 Dual Core processor. My question is this: I am thinking of purchasing a music recorder that records in mp3+g format. The promo says that I need a DVD drive that can read CD+G discs. I have a TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Z DVD drive - how do I find out if this is able to read CD+G files? I also need a CD-ROM that is able to extract CD+G files, but I don't have a clue how to find out if mine can do this or not. I used to be smart with all this technical stuff, but it went WAAAAAY over my head about 10 years ago and I am left feeling more like the village idiot!!! Anyway, if somebody could help me with this I'd be forever grateful -- I don't want to spend money for a new piece of equipment until I know whether my computer can handle the files. Thank you in advance for any help y'all can give.

CD+G is not a very common format, i mostly heard them as karaoke CDG discs and if you want to know if your drive can write these type of discs then i should say cdgs are containing additional graphic data which most of the times they are written on unsued subchannel area of the disc, this place is also used for CD title (text). so if your writer can write in a subchannel area then it can write CDG discs. actually i haven't seen any DVD-RW drive that can not do that so yours will do it probably. i searched your drive model and i found some people having problem with it writing CDG discs but i think it is not related to the drive it self it is related to software you should use for doing that, so if you don't know your drive supports that CDG format or no then first upgrade your firmware to the latest one (as you said it is a HP PC then go to HP support website for any firmware update) and then download the trial version of Power CD+G burner and then install and open it and see if the software has recognized you drive as a CDG compatible one or not, if it didn't recognize your burner as a CDG compatible one then i can say it probably do not support CDG media. its very strange that i have not found website of maker of this drive, is TSST an original brand ? i have found some website saying about toshiba past drives and it seems that TSST is a combination of samsung and tooshiba working together some years ago producing optical drives which i hadn't hear till now.