xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Can Anyone Identify This Rifle?

I'm trying to figure out what this old gun I have in my possession is supposed to be. I'm going to take a picture of it maybe some of you intelligent people can identify it.

Posted Image

Haha! No, just kidding. It's not quite so impressive. Here's the rifle I want to know more about:

post-83050-092984100 1290281846_thumb.jpg

It was one of my grandfather's many guns, I don't think it's particularly impressive since my uncle kept the good World War 2 stuff for himself but I'm still interested to know what it is. My grandfather died long before I was born and nobody seems to know anything about his belongings.

It's hard to read the markings on it, there are quite a few, but I'll try to write down some stuff I see:

Looks like initials in fancy written letters, maybe F G Mad 71/84

There is what looks to be a small crown symbol underneath it says maybe KW or something. On top it says Spandau with a crown symbol

It says 8990 all over it in multiple spots.

On the metal pieced screwed on to the butt it says 10 R.E. 3.103.

That's the most important stuff as far as I can tell

I have an even older gun thats falling apart, but one mystery is enough for now...

Any ideas? Is it just some cheap old hunting rifle or is it more interesting?

Hi!The first gun that you have posted a picture of is a minigun and is capable of a very high fire rate, possibly over 6,000 rounds per minute! I believe they featured one of those on Myth Busters when they tried to prove that it is possible to use a minigun to cut down a tree in under a minute. Heck, they even managed to set fire to the tree after it had been cut down by a minigun. I guess that beats using electric chain drills for cutting down trees, huh? You do, however, need a battery to power the gun and the use of multiple barrels means that you do not have to worry about overheating the barrels of the gun as it cools during its 1/6 cycle (the fired barrel is not fired again till the each of the other five barrels have been fired sequentially, providing sufficient time to cool down).The second gun in your post looked like a Springfield rifle. They have bolts that are used for re-loading and so are not of modern-day military use, but you are right - it can be used for hunting where all you need is a single shot to be fired. It was used in World War I and was a standard issue in World War II. My knowledge of the variants of the rifle is limited, but they did have sights attached to some of those Springfield rifles while others had the barrel cut shorter. Some Springfield rifles were also used as sniper rifles. There are some variants that are collectors' items, but I believe all of the collectors' edition Springfield rifles have a sight or some other device attached to them. Rifles have a model number indicated by the year in which they were designed. Most of the Springfield rifles issued during the World War II were designed in 1903 and were designated the M1903.However, the letterings that you found engraved on the rifle did not bear the M1903 designation so I figured it was something different, and that's when I noticed you mentioned about "Spandau". What you have is a German rifle manufactured by Mauser! The butt plate contains the serial number. The number you found on the rifle indicates that it was designed in 1871 and the design was later modified in 1884. Again, I cannot tell you much about the variants but some asking around would say that you could fetch about $450-$550 for it at an auction (but you never really know at an auction because you may end up getting more or may get less).Do post about your other rifle.

Hi Rob, the rifle you're looking for looks really similar to this weapon described in this link.
Can you show us some close ups of the rifle?
Either way I think I found your rifle, haha.
Cya.

PS:We are waiting for the next mistery :D