xisto Community
iGuest

Are There Extension Limitations? Does Ftp Work Here?

I probably should have done some searching here, but it doesn't look like there aren't much topics about it.

But anyway, I've been searching long and hard for free web hosting and almost gave up because there happens to be a lot either "paid" web hosting or those that include free templates with no option of allowing your own coding that I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT!!

For those of you who want me to get straight to the point:

Are there extension limitations? Besides basic

-html, css,

-gif, jpg, png, bmp, and

-mid, wav, mp3 and other mp and music formats and Java

do you support server-side scripting like php, perl?

I'm trying to transfer all my school files, so I can later have a reference to them and eventually build upon.

Also, will there be any problems with using the FTP server? Thanks.

For those of you who want to bother with reading my story:

I originally came from using Yahoo! Geocites that has either options--options of making you own coding or use their web builder and the option to pay if you want larger bandwidth and size. I was cool with that, because I didn't want to pay as I was a kid at the time wanting to learn and experiment with html. One day last year, Yahoo! decided to close their free hosting, and I was left without a web host. I didn't make a big deal about it because I trouble coming up with content and I had no connections with it whatsoever.

However, I still wanted a free hosting site; came up with one, but only provided templates for you to use or you own css with no chance to practice the web coding. Came up with another. It was what I wanted; used it to experiment when I needed it, especially when I took a web-programming class at my junior college early this Spring. They had their own server, so I used theirs to let my instructor review my work. Throughout my use, I've noticed it was difficult accessing through FTP or a Secure Shell program.

Now that I'm no longer enrolled in one of their web programming classes and because now that I'm at another school, they've expired my account and I had to copy all my files before they could do that. However, I wanted to use my site for references and show others my examples. I recalled they didn't allow certain extensions and went to research on that web host site to see which extensions were allowed. To my dismay, they didn't allow the perl extension that I was shown how to use in class. For some reason, they didn't want to explain why. I knew how difficult it already was to find free hosting sites that do not force templates on you. I only came by this site by a mention of another user when I googled for an explanation why the host site I was using didn't allow the .pl extension. A few other users noted how difficult it was to access FTP.

I probably should have done some searching here, but it doesn't look like there aren't much topics about it.

But anyway, I've been searching long and hard for free web hosting and almost gave up because there happens to be a lot either "paid" web hosting or those that include free templates with no option of allowing your own coding that I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT!!

Hey Diana! If you are looking for free web hosting... i mean a GOOD one, you came to the right place! horray!

Are there extension limitations? Besides basic

-html, css,

-gif, jpg, png, bmp, and

-mid, wav, mp3 and other mp and music formats and Java

do you support server-side scripting like php, perl?

Also, will there be any problems with using the FTP server? Thanks.

No, as for as I know, every format is accepted. There are no problems with the FTP server, don't worry. The there are 2 file managers in the cPanel and you can also use FileZilla or another FTP client.

For those of you who want to bother with reading my story:

I originally came from using Yahoo! Geocites that has either options--options of making you own coding or use their web builder and the option to pay if you want larger bandwidth and size. I was cool with that, because I didn't want to pay as I was a kid at the time wanting to learn and experiment with html. One day last year, Yahoo! decided to close their free hosting, and I was left without a web host. I didn't make a big deal about it because I trouble coming up with content and I had no connections with it whatsoever.

However, I still wanted a free hosting site; came up with one, but only provided templates for you to use or you own css with no chance to practice the web coding. Came up with another. It was what I wanted; used it to experiment when I needed it, especially when I took a web-programming class at my junior college early this Spring. They had their own server, so I used theirs to let my instructor review my work. Throughout my use, I've noticed it was difficult accessing through FTP or a Secure Shell program.

Now that I'm no longer enrolled in one of their web programming classes and because now that I'm at another school, they've expired my account and I had to copy all my files before they could do that. However, I wanted to use my site for references and show others my examples. I recalled they didn't allow certain extensions and went to research on that web host site to see which extensions were allowed. To my dismay, they didn't allow the perl extension that I was shown how to use in class. For some reason, they didn't want to explain why. I knew how difficult it already was to find free hosting sites that do not force templates on you. I only came by this site by a mention of another user when I googled for an explanation why the host site I was using didn't allow the .pl extension. A few other users noted how difficult it was to access FTP.

Trust me, KS (xisto/Xisto - Web Hosting webhosting) is like 100x better than Yahoo! Geocities, I've used both. I've also been through the troubles of free web hosts and blog sites that ONLY allow their built-in templates and you don't get to upload your own theme, but KS (xisto/Xisto - Web Hosting webhosting) is exactly like PAID WEB HOSTING, but you only have to pay with some posts in the forum. Try it if you want, it will take a mere few days to get enough posts/myCENTS to get a Logic Plan on Xisto with your myCENTS...its easy.... start here and read all the help files!