xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Need Help Opening A File.

It is listed as "File" (no extension). It is a flight analysis from FS2004. I clicked print and checked "Print to file" then pressed "OK". The file is in the flight simulator folder w/o an extension. The reason I didn't print it to paper is because we have no ink, plus the printer is unplugged. Any advice?

This is a tricky one. It'll be a problem to figure out what software to use if you don't know the file extension. You're probably going to have to look around a bit more the net to find out what file extension that thing has.

Try opening it in notepad. If it is plain text, which would make sense, then you will see text that you can understand. If you see weird characters then it is in some propriety format and i have no idea what extension it needs. The extension is however irrelevant. It only tells the computer what program to use. For example if it sees ".txt" it knows to use notepad.The extension doesnt change the content of the file at all. Try opening it in flight simulator perhaps...

the first thing to try is to see if Windows Explorer reveals the known file extensions. This is said supposing that the operating program is Windows. To reveal the known file extensions works this way:1. open start.2. -> all programs3. -> Accessories4. -> Windows Explorer5. -> Organize6. -> Folder and search options7. -> View8. -> Advanced settings9. -> Hide extensions for known file types.10. -> OKthis reveals most extensions of most file types.so come back after doing this and tell the file extension of the file please.

The OP stated that the file has no extension :)

Try opening it in notepad. If it is plain text, which would make sense, then you will see text that you can understand. If you see weird characters then it is in some propriety format and i have no idea what extension it needs. The extension is however irrelevant. It only tells the computer what program to use. For example if it sees ".txt" it knows to use notepad.
The extension doesnt change the content of the file at all.

Try opening it in flight simulator perhaps...

I don't think the simulator can, will try.

the first thing to try is to see if Windows Explorer reveals the known file extensions. This is said supposing that the operating program is Windows. To reveal the known file extensions works this way:1. open start.
2. -> all programs
3. -> Accessories
4. -> Windows Explorer
5. -> Organize
6. -> Folder and search options
7. -> View
8. -> Advanced settings
9. -> Hide extensions for known file types.
10. -> OK

this reveals most extensions of most file types.
so come back after doing this and tell the file extension of the file please.

What shadowx said.

The OP stated that the file has no extension :)