xisto Community
rob86

Captcha's Are Getting Ridiculously Hard To Read.

Agreed! It's sometimes so hard to read, especially with the crappy capatcha code generators. Often it could take me up to three attempts.And also no capatcha security codes should be case sensitive. And I think if the user gets up to 5/6 characters correct, then the site should assume that it is not a script, and that the action was performed by a human. I think this is relatively easy to implement, and programmers are just being lazy!It's not so annoying right now, people may find it a stupid rant. But arrgh i hate wasting a minute on just capatcha codes!

mahesh2k I'm glad you are able to find humor in what is for most of us a very anoying situation. I have seen a few on one of the ad sites I visit that can be kind of funny. But I couldn't get your link to work to see your funnies. But they really are annoying to try to figure out. Especially when you have gone threw all the trouble to fill out an ad form and you've spent hours on line putting up ads and your butt hurts from sitting in the chair typing. They run the letters together for example, if they put an r next to an n it looks more like an m than a r and n. Those dang things drive me crazy.I like rvalkass's idea, of Apple, banana, cat, strawberry. But with my luck they would get to asking questions about computers that were so far over my poor head I'd never get any ads posted. Picking out red or some other color charectors would be good too, unless of course you were color blind. But I suppose captcha's are just like everything else on the internet. Sooner or later someone is going to figure out a way around them no matter what we do or how they are made. So someone else will have to come up with a new idea. And on and on it goes. Leaving little old me in the dust. I just figured out what captcha's were a few days ago.

Nowadays, many hosts are using the captchas that helps to translate books. I forgot what the parent company was called thought.Therefore sometimes the captchas they offer are really ridiculous. And IIRC, they often show 2 words, 1 is the word that they want you to translate, the other is the control, so even if your translated captcha is wrong, as long as your control word is correct, they'll let you through.With that said, half the time, the translation captcha word is unreadable, probably due to the way the books projects it and with further distortion from the system, it's just a pile of mud sometimes. <_< This reminds me of the audio captchas that are accompanied with the text ones. There was once I couldn't get the text version to load so crazy me went ahead and switched on the audio one. It was music to my dogs. Robo cop can do better. I couldn't get 5 letters out of the 10 that was blabbered, so I gave up trying to sign up for the forum hahaha :lol:

Yes this is really bad, now if you want to comment in the most blogs you sometimes have to answer three antispam systems like math problem + captcha + a random question like saying which country we are in or something like that, this is really bad because now it takes you more time to enter those answers rather than typing the main message and you know when it get worse when you enter one of them wrong and you have to renter all of them and this is just not acceptable. some websites will not show you captcha after registration but many websites are still having those captcha things after registration too, so is there any better spam protection which do not need neither the capthca or the registration ?Actually captcha is the best way we know because with some plugins like recaptcha you are 99 percent sure about not having spams in your website but as many spammers now register an account themselves and then use that account on a spam bot to spam your website, so this is why many websites are using captcha even after registration, now i can say i enter 30 percent of recaptcha plugin answers wrong but with some simpler ones this percent reduces but i can say building a robot that being capable of reading captcha is not a hard thing, because if you know what image processing is then you should now that a robot capable of processing image is able to detect where is the image of captcha and then using its own software (you can find samples of doing an image processing using c or C++ or many other languages just with googleing it ) it will find the answer if captcha be simple, even i have seen bots capable of reading those captcha which we can't :D , so the first thing most developers should be worried about is that when you try to make a hard captcha maybe you have done it wrong because bots are more precise than us and we enter it wrong but they enter it right and this is annoying for users.With help of image processing techniques captcha is getting useless and i think we should think of a new system, maybe even eye scan for registering on a website :D , but anyway with having a group of admins for your website you don't need any spam protection system, if you make sure that at least one of your admins will see the website every 2 hour then you can be completely sure about don't seeing any spam and this is a better way rather than annoying your visitors.