xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
k_nitin_r

People Unwilling To Share On The Job

At the workplace, there seem to be fewer people willing to share their knowledge with their co-workers. It may be due to the perception that spreading the knowledge would make them dispensable to the company and would threaten their job security. Some software programmers have been practicing some form of holding on to their knowledge for ages - they write obfuscated code that prevents other programmers from getting onto their software projects, so as long as the software project exists within the firm, they get to hang on to their jobs, and possibly even receive benefits from staying on the job and performing work on the project! Sales personnel are less willing to share their contacts with their co-workers even if it means that the organization gets to sell a related product through a different division of the organization from the sharing of information.Knowledge is also seen as a source of power. Not to the extent that they can take over the world, but they do get the respect from co-workers by being the ones with both arms around a bit of knowledge that others seek as they address him or her as the Wise One.Organizations do not, however, benefit from the knowledge-controlling attitute of employees. They would much rather want to replace employees, move them around, and have a sense of comfort in the fact that the business does not depend on the one pillar that could get knocked over and take the business down. The behavior among employees may result from the basis on which bonuses are calculated or on handing employees the pink slip and sending them home.

That is a really hard to manage topic in a company, not only for the employer, but for the other employees as well, because let's say you are new on a company, and your boss already put someone to train you, it happens a lot that this person is not willing to give you all of it knowledge because that person is kind of afraid that you are going to end up replacing him or taking the position or the raise he had been waiting for, so the longer you take to learn your roll, the more time that person is going to have to show that he is "better" than you. It is sad that we see this kind of envious people everywhere, and it's the company's lost because a company is a team, everyone needs to do their best doing their tasks and helping each other whenever they can so everything runs smoothly. I remembered the case of a person near me, that found a wonderful job, a dream job as a general manager of a division in a company. His curriculum was excellent, the human resources people couldn't find a better person for the position. This person took the job and surprise surprise that nobody wanted to work as they should be working because there were a couple people from inside the company who wanted that position but weren't chosen, and they made this person life impossible, that situation last for like a year and a half and his seniors end up replacing him because the division wasn't working the way it should. Probably the story would have been different if the people around the manager did their job correctly and help him, who knows, but it is sad to see people acting like that and being mean to each other, affecting not only the person but the company as well.I saw once a documentary about Asian companies, making their employees take special training to create a sense of commitment and love for the company they are working, enforcing team work and creating an atmosphere of "the company goals are first than individual goals", which I think helps a lot in those cases of controlling information because if you are going to be the stone stopping the company for completing it's goals then you are likely to be replacing for not being a team player. Information is power but if besides that information that you have you are not a powerful person then no matter how hard you try to keep it for yourself at one point or another the company will find a person to replace you with the sharing profile they are looking for.

yes this is true, in workplace there is always some bad mood that makes people thinking if they share their knowledge, you will earn more money than them. actually i was working for a company for two years and the environment was really annoying. people always trying to show each other useless and pretend their works as nothing and worthless. i was always having problem with those guys they even tried to do not say their names! the situation was really bad. anyway i quit from that job and after sometimes i hear they are closing down. so what was the benefit of refusing from sharing knowledge ? they lost everything so why they were refusing ? i never understand why some peoples are thinking this way.anyway i think sharing knowledge is a task that all of us should do it, just like others done. if we don't share our knowledge then science will not progress at all and the efficiency of every company will be reduced. actually i think the people that refuse from sharing their knowledge are very weak people whom can't see any ones success. they don't understand the meaning of team and if one of them exist in a team, will stroke down the whole team. so i think managers are responsible in these situations, they should not close their eyes on these things and not doing anything. if they want their company to be successful then they should employ peoples with morality of team working. helping each other to do something correctly will not led to less income for you but will led everyone to more successful projects and earning much money.the best sample is open source community, no one in 20 years ago was thinking that this community can survive but time showed that sharing source of softwares will not let you down at all and one of the best examples is android. i should say peoples who are enjoying from sharing their knowledge are not few at all. if they were few peoples then many companies which are progressing in this bad economical situation did not exist. we all should learn to help each other in real life just like here :D

This sort of thing pisses me off. But you have to look at it from the standpoint of the software developers. When you're working in a time where your job is not guaranteed, you have to make sure that you don't get replaced. What better way to do so than to make sure you're the only person who can "solve the problems" that the company encounters. Of course, as a software developer, there's always going to be someone better than you, as is with any profession. So in order to make your job secure, you have to make sure that said person can't get involved with your projects. And that's where code obfuscation comes in handy. By making your code unclear or hard to read, you ensure that the other person can't join your project. This is a dirty trick and I despise anyone who uses it. Granted there are existential circumstances but that doesn't mean you have to block someone else's opportunity to excel in the work environment.

yeah i saw that too, people who are not willing to share their knowledge or bothering themselves to answer their co-workers answers. all that because they think that this may affect them in a way or another or their position in the company or workshop.but in the same time, i must say that it is the fault of the head of a certain company or the boss i mean, because they really do that sometimes. they could get rid of a good employee who worked for them for a long time as soon as they find another one is better than them in a certain field. and even it is their right, but i think it is unfair to do that. they should respect that employee, and give him/her the chance to develop him/her self. or at least keep him/her in his/her position but not fire him/her. but what can i say, after all it is all about business and money, even it looks unfair.in the other hand, i also think that every employee or a new one should not accept to get well trained or help always and from everyone around him/her. if you want to be something! a professional in your alley then be thankful for everything you learn from others, and do your best to learn more. you should only rely on your own self to get your special touch and to be special person among the others. with the hard work you can reach your goals fast. and then you can be proud of yourself because you did all that by your own.