xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Soviet Rathe

Help Me Build My Stereo System

I want to build a badass system but I really don't know how, I already picked out my speakers, below I will show you what I had in mind.These will go on the outside https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-Floor-Standing-Speaker/dp/B000OG4E1G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1283468143&sr=1-1These will go on the inside of the above ones https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Woofer/dp/B000OG6I6A/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1These will go on the inside of the above ones https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-8-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_cAnd these will go in the center https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-CN5000-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B000OGA81Q/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_bAm I choosing the best speakers? I wanted to put them all side by side, is that a good idea or will it make them all sound like crap?secondly, if I buy all these speakers, what would be the best thing to power them? I'd like an amp with a built in CD player if possible.Thanks, please reply cause I really wanna make this happen :)

Wouldn't it be better to have a dedicated Subwoofer instead of two speakers with a Woofer built in? If you get a good stereo amp, it's going to have connection just for a dedicated subwoofer. I don't think it really makes sense to have so many speakers side by side. Why not have a surround sound setup instead? I imagine two speakers + center speaker would be just fine in front. That's what most set ups look like. I can't imagine more (of different speaker models) than that improving the sound, it might make it worse. There are lots of pictures on the internet of how to set up a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 setup depending on how much you want. I think the 7.1 amplifiers cost a lot more than 5.1 ones too so you have to ask whether it's worth the money for you. You could buy something cool instead of two extra speakers and an extra costly 7.1 stereo amp, like, I don't know, some gadget to control your system from the computer or a fancy universal remote. Some amplifiers don't even come with CD players (they are sometimes seperate). A CD Player might not even be necessary. You could rip your cds and turn your computer into a media center that can play all your music, your games or movies.. that'd be cool and modern. Make sure you find one that has all the options you need too. Stuff like, an AUX/MP3 input in comes in really handy. And an optical input. I wouldn't be surprised if most/all have these options now anyway. I'm not really an expert on sound, but I think it does make more sense to have a real surround sound set up instead of a single row of speakers. I think there's a real live sound engineer here on this site somewhere...... Anyway, have fun with it. I love setting these things up (not that I'm good at it, but I like it)

Wouldn't it be better to have a dedicated Subwoofer instead of two speakers with a Woofer built in? If you get a good stereo amp, it's going to have connection just for a dedicated subwoofer. I don't think it really makes sense to have so many speakers side by side. Why not have a surround sound setup instead?
I imagine two speakers + center speaker would be just fine in front. That's what most set ups look like. I can't imagine more (of different speaker models) than that improving the sound, it might make it worse. There are lots of pictures on the internet of how to set up a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 setup depending on how much you want. I think the 7.1 amplifiers cost a lot more than 5.1 ones too so you have to ask whether it's worth the money for you. You could buy something cool instead of two extra speakers and an extra costly 7.1 stereo amp, like, I don't know, some gadget to control your system from the computer or a fancy universal remote.

Some amplifiers don't even come with CD players (they are sometimes seperate). A CD Player might not even be necessary. You could rip your cds and turn your computer into a media center that can play all your music, your games or movies.. that'd be cool and modern.

Make sure you find one that has all the options you need too. Stuff like, an AUX/MP3 input in comes in really handy. And an optical input. I wouldn't be surprised if most/all have these options now anyway.

I'm not really an expert on sound, but I think it does make more sense to have a real surround sound set up instead of a single row of speakers.

I think there's a real live sound engineer here on this site somewhere......

Anyway, have fun with it. I love setting these things up (not that I'm good at it, but I like it)

So I would be good with

Outside:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SSF-5000-Floor-Standing-Speaker/dp/B000OG4E1G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1283468143&sr=1-1

Center:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-CN5000-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B000OGA81Q/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

idk, I was thinking it would be easier to just buy this:
https://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=927

HOWEVER. do you think I should just go to Stereo One and have them tell me whats best? like go there with a CD and test everything, and maybe have them help me in building my own setup

The LBT-ZX66 looks cool. It depends what you want I suppose. What are you going to use your stereo system for? Does surround sound matter? I don't think it does true surround sound, and you'll probably be limited to two speakers, and since you were looking at a whole bunch of speakers I assumed you wanted something that did surround sound. Having a bunch of speakers side by side is probably too extreme unless you're having a rock concert. You could get a similarly priced A/V receiver that does more and offers more customizability and flexibility, but it won't have the flashy appearance, and I have to admit it's a pretty sweet looking self stereo system.. and would look pretty cool as room decor, but would I trade cool looks for surround sound for games and movies (and Surround Sound Pink floyd albums)? I don't know.. I don't think so. Surround sound is pretty awesome. I'd rather put a bunch of speakers and a bassy subwoofer around my room and enjoy awesome surround sound effects. It's pretty cool when a sub woofer shakes the room during explosions.. Oh, when you look at A/V receivers they sometimes say like "110W" which in comparison to the LBT-ZX66 at 560W seems pitiful, but that really means 110W per channel/speaker not 110W in total.I guess you can't go wrong asking the experts either.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

The LBT-ZX66 looks cool. It depends what you want I suppose. What are you going to use your stereo system for? Does surround sound matter? I don't think it does true surround sound, and you'll probably be limited to two speakers, and since you were looking at a whole bunch of speakers I assumed you wanted something that did surround sound. Having a bunch of speakers side by side is probably too extreme unless you're having a rock concert. You could get a similarly priced A/V receiver that does more and offers more customizability and flexibility, but it won't have the flashy appearance, and I have to admit it's a pretty sweet looking self stereo system.. and would look pretty cool as room decor, but would I trade cool looks for surround sound for games and movies (and Surround Sound Pink floyd albums)? I don't know.. I don't think so. Surround sound is pretty awesome. I'd rather put a bunch of speakers and a bassy subwoofer around my room and enjoy awesome surround sound effects. It's pretty cool when a sub woofer shakes the room during explosions..
Oh, when you look at A/V receivers they sometimes say like "110W" which in comparison to the LBT-ZX66 at 560W seems pitiful, but that really means 110W per channel/speaker not 110W in total.

I guess you can't go wrong asking the experts either.

Surround sound will be useless to me because I only plan to be listening to music, I likes to rock/metal so I wanted something that was POWERFUL, that's why I was looking at all those speakers, but now that I think about it, I would probably be spending more money on all those speakers then on the sony system and they wouldn't be as good, I think i'll go to stereo one and see what they have, if nothing I like I'll go with the sony system.