xisto Community
aizeebaby

Router, Card And Usb Issues LINKSYS ONLY: Router, Cards, USB---Ill help you for FREE

If you got some issues with your Linksys router, cards and USB (wireless or wired), you can count on me. Just follow this thread and post your questions about the Linksys networking device that you have and I'll do my best to help you out alright? Just be patient enough to wait for my reply 'cause you know I can not be online 24 hours a day. But I promise I'll be entouch as soon as I can. And you can also add me on my facebook account (it's on my profile) so that we could have a chat and it'll be easier for me to help you if incase we need to troubleshoot some stuffs. I'm doing it for free because I love you guys :P Okay! I'll wait for your questions =)Limitation: Linksys routers and computers only. No 3rd party devices like wii, nintendo, ps3 etc.

Hey, someone who actually volunteers herself in a topic to help answer questions? I love it! I'll help you get started immediately by asking you a question that you might be able to help answer.I'm using (AT&T) DSL to access the internet. Because it's a dynamic IP address, the router usually get's messed up whenever the modem changes IPs. However, a former classmate of mine recommended changing the PPPoE over from the modem to the router to let the router take care of it. That used to work.Ever since a power outage a month or so ago, I had to reset the system. As far as I am aware, I set the PPPoE back up exactly as before. For the most part, it works fine...whenever the address changes, the connection fails, and it takes a few moments and then I'm back up and running. However, at random times the router still needs to be reset (i.e. unplugged and plugged back in). Why is this, and how do I permanently solve it?That'll give you something to respond with, I hope. Just so you know where I fit into the tech world, my current focus is web/database management (and a fair amount of programming) but I'm still very weak on the hardware/diagnosis side. Sounds like you'll be a valuable asset on Xisto...welcome!

@Aiz: I think I know we're you're working. I worked their for 20 mos. I'll drop by this thread from time to time to help out with solutions. Is that okay with you? :lol:

Hey, someone who actually volunteers herself in a topic to help answer questions? I love it! I'll help you get started immediately by asking you a question that you might be able to help answer.

I'm using (AT&T) DSL to access the internet. Because it's a dynamic IP address, the router usually get's messed up whenever the modem changes IPs. However, a former classmate of mine recommended changing the PPPoE over from the modem to the router to let the router take care of it. That used to work.

Ever since a power outage a month or so ago, I had to reset the system. As far as I am aware, I set the PPPoE back up exactly as before. For the most part, it works fine...whenever the address changes, the connection fails, and it takes a few moments and then I'm back up and running. However, at random times the router still needs to be reset (i.e. unplugged and plugged back in). Why is this, and how do I permanently solve it?

That'll give you something to respond with, I hope. Just so you know where I fit into the tech world, my current focus is web/database management (and a fair amount of programming) but I'm still very weak on the hardware/diagnosis side. Sounds like you'll be a valuable asset on Xisto...welcome!

Thanks Jonnyabc! I'll give you some of the basic steps that we usually do in order to troubleshoot our linksys router.

--If your modem is set to PPPoE, here's what you're going to do:

1. Call ISP to get the correct Username and Password of your DSL modem

2. Hardwire your router to your computer (from the numbered port of the router to computer)

3. Look for the default gateway *(if you're not that familiar with this step PM me)

4. Router still wired to the computer, let's open our browser (IE,Mozilla,Google Chrome,Safari) and we will access the U.I. or we can call it the router page. *(if you're not that familiar with this step PM me)

5. Click on the Set-up tab. Below will be the Internet Set-up, kindly choose the PPPoE settings.

6. Type in the correct Username and Password, the one that was given to you by your ISP.

7. Put a check on Keep Alive.

8. Make sure you're able to click on save.

9. Connect modem to the Internet port of the router.

10.Wait for some few secs and wallah! It should be up and runnin' :P

---hope this helps---

Edited by aizeebaby (see edit history)

@Aiz: I think I know we're you're working. I worked their for 20 mos. I'll drop by this thread from time to time to help out with solutions. Is that okay with you? :lol:

Goodness you don't have to ask of course you are very welcome to help. :P
We're friends... :D

Hey, someone who actually volunteers herself in a topic to help answer questions? I love it! I'll help you get started immediately by asking you a question that you might be able to help answer.
I'm using (AT&T) DSL to access the internet. Because it's a dynamic IP address, the router usually get's messed up whenever the modem changes IPs. However, a former classmate of mine recommended changing the PPPoE over from the modem to the router to let the router take care of it. That used to work.

Ever since a power outage a month or so ago, I had to reset the system. As far as I am aware, I set the PPPoE back up exactly as before. For the most part, it works fine...whenever the address changes, the connection fails, and it takes a few moments and then I'm back up and running. However, at random times the router still needs to be reset (i.e. unplugged and plugged back in). Why is this, and how do I permanently solve it?

That'll give you something to respond with, I hope. Just so you know where I fit into the tech world, my current focus is web/database management (and a fair amount of programming) but I'm still very weak on the hardware/diagnosis side. Sounds like you'll be a valuable asset on Xisto...welcome!

Some AT&T DSL Modems have built-in DHCP Server (the same function you see on the Linksys router). Power outages often reset the router's settings or messes up a router's firmware sometimes even completely destroying the router's NAT function turning it into a normal switch. Since your router still works except for the constant disconnect, it could be just some minor problems with the firmware on the router. Flash it and change the router's LAN IP to something other than the default 192.168.1.1, you may use 10.10.10.1 or the familiar 192.168.2.1. These are the most common workarounds with AT&T DSL connections.