xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zanzibarjones

What Free Accounting Software Is Out There?

I know of Microsoft Accounting and I think Intuit offers a free version of quickbooks, I could be wrong though.I have used the Microsoft Accounting package, and for a free app, it's pretty nice. Very customizable and easy to use.Any others out there you would recommend?

Bookyt is a web-based accounting system written in Ruby. FrontAccounting, written in PHP, is web-based too. Ledger SMB, and its parent SQL Ledger, are Perl-based. TurboCASH is Delphi based and is primarily targeted at Windows-based systems but you may be able to use Wine to run it on Linux-based systems as well. WebERP is more than just an accounting system and is developed in PHP. Compiere and Adempiere are Java based and are quite popular in the Java community. GnuCash is C based and is often available on most Linux distributions. JGnash is Java based. I noticed I haven't included any Python based accounting systems, so I'll mention Tryton here though it is not as popular as some of the others listed above. PhreeBooks is again PHP based.You may want to try a demo of the software, often available from the project websites or as a download as all of the above are free and open source software.I spent a couple of minutes with Microsoft Accounting and it does offer a simple user interface, but it is proprietary software so you can't modify it and it has a (relatively low) licensing fee associated with it.