xisto Community
Jonnyabc

Windows 7, Fedora, & Ubuntu A review of top OSs (except Apple)

Just this last weekend I decided to upgrade my 5 year-old Compaq from Windows XP to Windows 7. Additionally, I've been using a program called VirtualBox (a Sun product/project) that allows me to run multiple operating systems within an existing OS...so I've been playing around getting Fedora, Ubuntu (and also MS-DOS) installed.As any computer guru knows, if you have a Vista you can simply "update" to 7, but with older releases you do not have that luxury. Instead, you will need to "upgrade" it, which means replacing the existing operating system as you would when you do a full system restore and wiping everything clean. However, much to my surprise, you are given the option (at least with the 7's upgrade version) to either wipe the drive clean or save the contents from your previous operating system. I did this, and forgot all about it until a day or so later I was inspecting the very full drive to find the entire XP system still in tact. Long story short, it is nice to know that you can do a full system restore if you do not like the way Windows 7 works. Keep in mind that it takes up a ton of space, and the safest way to remove it is through Disk Cleanup utility (which requires you to erase all restore points as it is in a way a massive restore point of its very own).After updating the heck out of Windows 7 and installing a few of the basic programs (fortunately I found PortableApps.com for use on my external drive which has saved me from installing everything all at one time) I reinstalled VirtualBox and transferred the existing Ubuntu file over and installed Fedora...I won't go into a lot of details regarding the program as it is a post of its own, but a really nice program once you get used to it.So, who wins the prize in my eyes? Is it behind door #1, door #2, or "deskspace #3"?7, same good ol' Windows, but someone has begun to use Windex for a streak free shine. Although it looks more pleasant and in some ways has some nicer features, Windows is Windows. Same typical bugs, same typical solutions...except that the Control Panel and other utilities have been jumbled in a completely different order (some for the good some for the bad).The taskbar and the still unused Alt+Tab live preview features are great if you get Home Premium or better and use Aero. And being able to "peek" at the desktop (and all its added gadget goodies) is an added plus. The start menu loses something to me by placing icons before folders under All Programs, but they make up for it by placing a search bar to find all index files and programs.Explorer may come as a shock to people who have used and enjoyed the sidebar with is many options to "copy to", "delete this", etc. Yes, it has been replaced with what I affectionately call the '95 feel...back to the old folder frame, allowing you to quickly find a location. Speaking of locations, 7 supports various library to setup multiple folders as Documents, Pictures, and Music. Think of them like albums where you say you'd like to "add" a photo to an album, even though its physical location hasn't really changed. So if you've got a My Documents on your external drive, it works very nicely.One other thing to note about Explorer and most everything Microsoft now is the removal or hidden treatment for the menu bar. I guess after Office 2007 they're beginning to rethink the way people using (or are forced into using) menus. Nope...you want the File/Edit/View menu in IE, Windows Media Player and Windows Explorer? Looks like you'll have to do that yourself if it's your fancy. And of course it's now BELOW the address bars, buttons, etc.Ubuntu...land of fairy-tales...knights and dragons, damsels in dire distress, giants and dwarfs...[rip] Let's not get too carried away here. Linux is a great operating system and all, but unless you plan to study command lines or stick with the very basics in packaged software (which there is nothing wrong with that), I wouldn't recommend it to the average user. However, Ubuntu has a good CPU on their shoulders. They seem to know just exactly what they're doing and is the closest thing you'll find to a completely user-friendly GUI interface for Linux.Some of the software prepackaged are Firefox, GIMP, Audacity, and OpenOffice. There's some really nifty desktop features you'll find interesting such as a small weather tool, but the biggest one is the built-in chat feature, a service that Ubuntu themselves operate and maintain. Log into virtually any IMs and as many as you want all at one time. They even give you the option to find other people using the service on your local network and connect with them.Red Hat's Fedora distribution of Linux is very similar to Ubuntu in that they offer a full featured GUI. However, some features are left wanting, and prepackaged software is few. Please realize this is done on purpose, because developers could care less about the outer workings of the system and would rather have one that runs bare-bones minimum for maximum performance. However, while Fedora may not be as polished as Ubuntu, they're goal is not to be polished but rather a beta testing ground for new Linux technologies. If you are interested in developing/testing Linux applications, Fedora is the place to be.Between the two, one can easily find subtle differences, whether it be the GUI, software (or utilities), or slight differences in the command line code, but they both use the Linux Kernel.So who wins this race to the finish? In my book, nobody. Each has their flaws, strengths, weaknesses, capabilities, compatibilities, and user-friendliness. I have great respect for how well Linux has progressed from humble beginnings over the last 50 years and has become a huge success both in the server field as well as an open source operating system with constant collaborative efforts to invent and improve. Windows too has made leaps and bounds to catch up and greatly surpass Linux regarding the workstation environment, while Linux is still making up for lost time.One can only say so much in a post, and I think that's it for now. Let's celebrate the OS variety that are offered, and hope for a glimmer of light that maybe...just maybe...someday they'll all be compatible with each other!

technically, you will only get what you need.

For an average person windows or Ubuntu will win having a tilt more to windows since school and offices forces users to learn windows.

For gamers, windows will tilt the winning more since most developers write for windows.. there are a lot of workaround for this that can give high end advantage for Ubuntu and Unix (Unix is much more compatible to load stuff cross platform)

If you want to run servers, windows is on the loosing list but corporations wants windows server not because it is better but because most of them believe via marketing propaganda that Windows server are much better. Corporation that knows what they want uses Unix/Linux and even Microsoft have accidentally admitted on some of their press cons that they are using Unix/Linux servers for critical server system than the product they are selling. Ubuntu is only good for home servers not a big big server.

The list is pretty long and will only stop until everyone follows standards.. as of writing, i am very happy to announce that most of what I need can be found on Ubuntu, Linux, Unix, Fedora (harder to setup, much security) and Mac.. most are cross platform compatible but only a few of them have windows binaries.

so pick what you need, as long as Microsoft have the manufacturers on a blackmail situation.. no one will see a huge upgrade from windows like bug fixes and others.. also, anyone knows that BLUE SCREEN is still present on windows 7? It will only crash your computer and hang it up and still show you the same desktop you are working with and the only time the blue screen will appear visibly is when the error console also encountered an error which for me is a paradox.

It is not sure that the old version of Windows XP that is stored in the computer will be able to work again. It seems that the only reason this version stays on the computer is because of the personal files that are kept too after an update of Windows. It seems that Windows 7 is made to be a fast program. And it seems that Microsoft succeeded with this goal. Ubuntu seems a bit slow compared to Windows 7. This is understandable since Ubuntu is not build according to the new approach Microsoft used after Windows Vista. Some features are left out of Windows 7 in order to speed the program up. Like a program like Windows Movie Maker is left out. The idea is that the user can download it for free from the site of Microsoft.