xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

Adding Home Page To My Website...

Depends on how much part is static. Parts like sidebar, footer and navigation remains static for almost any site. But if you just added feed to static page then it will serve no different than those static pages which are manually updated. Search engines rarely considers those pages as dynamic. More updated content(full posts or full feeds) in dynamic sites is what crawlers are looking for. Even short feed is not sufficient because that way crawlers can find out lesser updates of page.
If you want readers for your blog then getting static page is worst thing you can do-from both SEO and user point of view. But for portfolio and occasionally updated blog it's enough to keep feed and your folio on front page. But in later case don't expect search engine traffic and reader involvement to your site.

Now that's a scary thing, and I don't know about web_designer (who started this thread!) but I'm now certainly in a fix whether to concentrate on maintaining the look and quality of my site or focus on SEO rankings :P It's not like I want my site to be super-popular, so I guess I'll continue with the static home page for now and when the site's ready I'll put a link in my sig here and that should manage to grab a few eyeballs ;)