xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Setting Up A Wan Expert help required

I would like to set up a WAN between my home and my business partner's home.We live in the same town, about half a mile apart, and we both use Windows machines, although different OS'es (one uses Windows 7 Ultimate and one is on Windows XP).As far as I am aware, a WAN has to be set up over the Internet (please correct me if I am wrong, have used lots of LANs, both wired and wireless, but I am a novice when it comes to WANs), so, I don't know whether that would be a problem, but we both use different ISPs.Is it possible to make that WAN, eg. for sharing and exchanging files, even though we are with different ISPs?Since we are in the music and recording business, it might be that some reasonably big files need to be exchanged, eg. pdf files of whole music books, or hefty mp3 files with whole band arrangements and even video clips, which could come to several 100s of Mb.Also, if it is possible, how am I to approach it?Is there any special software needed to do the job, or will configuration alone do, just like with a LAN?If anyone has some useful advice, I would love to hear from them, all help will be very much appreciated.

I would like to set up a WAN between my home and my business partner's home.
We live in the same town, about half a mile apart, and we both use Windows machines, although different OS'es (one uses Windows 7 Ultimate and one is on Windows XP).

As far as I am aware, a WAN has to be set up over the Internet (please correct me if I am wrong, have used lots of LANs, both wired and wireless, but I am a novice when it comes to WANs), so, I don't know whether that would be a problem, but we both use different ISPs.

Is it possible to make that WAN, eg. for sharing and exchanging files, even though we are with different ISPs?

Since we are in the music and recording business, it might be that some reasonably big files need to be exchanged, eg. pdf files of whole music books, or hefty mp3 files with whole band arrangements and even video clips, which could come to several 100s of Mb.

Also, if it is possible, how am I to approach it?
Is there any special software needed to do the job, or will configuration alone do, just like with a LAN?

If anyone has some useful advice, I would love to hear from them, all help will be very much appreciated.

Half a mile apart.... I would say that there are really two options here that I know of:

1) You can get an antennae that plugs into your router (or his -- more or less you take the little antennae off that it comes with and swap it out -- these can be expensive). This is a little effective but due to the distance it may not be feasible due to the costs

2) You could set up an FTP server on one of the computers. This would be using your bandwidth/Internet connection to transfer files but it is *very* effective. More or less you set up which folders you want to allow access to (or the other person does) and then you get a username and password to download and upload to that folder. Think of it as being on the same network but online.

I think remote desktop may also work but I'm not completely sure as I've never really dealt with that before.

If you don't mind going back and forth (half a mile isn't far) you could also use an external drive and just visit each other every x amount of time and sync the drive to the PC's.

Please let me know if I misunderstood what you're looking to do and I'll see what else I can come up with.

Note : All of the above options will work for both of you, even though you're on different Windows OS's.

First of all, thank you for your reply, rpsearcherz.No, you have not misunderstood.What you explain is exactly what I want.I didn't know that aerials on the router could be used to cover that kind of distance, though (but, then again, if they are expensive....).I will have a further look into Rmote Desktop and see if that can help.Some interesting points you have made.Thank you again.

First of all, thank you for your reply, rpsearcherz.
No, you have not misunderstood.
What you explain is exactly what I want.
I didn't know that aerials on the router could be used to cover that kind of distance, though (but, then again, if they are expensive....).

I will have a further look into Rmote Desktop and see if that can help.

Some interesting points you have made.
Thank you again.

Not a problem. I actually just know about the antennae thing because we did that at one point to share our network with my grandparents next door. It was a $300 one and only enhanced the network enough to go about one house over though.

Keep in mind that remote desktop is a full takeover of the other PC (meaning your friend must allow you to have full control when you connect, or you must allow them full control).

OK,my ISP provides up to 20Mbps, while my partner has a fibre optic connection of up to 50Mbps.As you can see, we use different ISPs. (But I think I mentioned that in an earlier post).Thank you, everyone, for the replies so far, by the way.

With that kind of speed, you can easily use internet based file hosting services. If you want more privacy and better syncing, use an FTP server.You can also use a service like DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/

Its free for a space of 2GB. More on pricing: https://www.dropbox.com/pro/

They have a multi-platform software to ease the uploading and downloading. Its works very much like a hard-disk connected to your computer. Just that its online.You can find many similar services if you don't like this one.

OK,my ISP provides up to 20Mbps, while my partner has a fibre optic connection of up to 50Mbps.
As you can see, we use different ISPs. (But I think I mentioned that in an earlier post).

Thank you, everyone, for the replies so far, by the way.

1st you are using 2 different connections and you both need to get onto 1 internet service provider...

That will get u onto the same wan network that is of the same internet service provider....

U have to request the service from your internet service provider or if you choose to stick with 2 Internet service providers you will have to request the service from both. Trust me the rent is not cheap but it depends on your Internet service provider....

Down side is that you will spend a lot of money on setting this up

Did you ever try a Virtual private network ????

Its better to just buy some ftp space online it will be faster...
Edited by Maggot (see edit history)

If you want to make sure that all the files that will be transferred are secure, it's best to setup a VPN (Virtual Private Network) instead. You only need to buy some USD 45.00+ VPN router. With a VPN network setup, you're not even limited to that half-mile distance. You can be anywhere in the world and have direct access to your network for file sharing, updates, etc.