xisto Community
karanv

How To Setup Up Dlink G Router With Mtnl Router

Hello Members,Please help me out on how to setup this D-Link G router with my current MTNL ADSL router. I tried doing thing which didn't work. I hope someone would help me in this issue.Thank you.Regards,Karan

I have never set up a d link but I will give you a few tips. 1. Connect via an ethernet cable to the router the first time. 2. Make sure it is compatable with your PC, older routers dont like WIN73. Most routers have a master rester button4. Install the software that came with the device.

Hello Members,

Please help me out on how to setup this D-Link G router with my current MTNL ADSL router. I tried doing thing which didn't work. I hope someone would help me in this issue.

Thank you.

Regards,

Karan

Hey, from what you are saying it sounds you are having trouble figuring out what to do and not exactly running into problems. I've used a D-Link router before and turned out it is very smart. I suggest the following steps. I'm making it as basic as possible and apologies if it is too trivial.

1) Contact MTNL and make sure your connection type is "Always on", and that you don't have to run a dialer to login to the internet.

2) Locate the ethernet cable that comes out from the modem and plug it into the 'WAN' port in the router. This is usually on one of the extremes, and stands separately from the rest of the 'LAN' ports.

3) Now, get an extra LAN cable and plug one end of it into the router, and the other into the ethernet port in your system.

Thats it! Now, everything should be up and running automatically. But here are a few problems you might run into.

Faulty IP address:

In this case, you will have to manually set the IP address. This happens if there's a conflict of the Local IP addresses that your modem and router want to use. To sort this out, connect the modem directly to the system and figure out what addresses the modem wants to use. For eg, it could be 192.168.1.1 , while your router prefers a 10.0.1.1 address, though this doesn't usually happen. Now, go to Network connections in your computer and set the IP addresses manually. Let the modem remain at the original IP address and configure your system to use an address that is different from the modem in only the last digit. To clarify, if the modem uses 192.168.1.1, set the system to use 192.168.1.2.

Internet Not accessible:

In this case, try shuffling around the connections. Also, make sure that the IP address settings are done correctly. Some ISPs provide IP address manually while others do it automatically. Contact the customer care of your ISP and ensure your settings are correct.

Hopefully, by now you have configured it correctly. But, I doubt you will be using it for one system. Connect more systems to the network and make sure internet is accessible by all systems simultaneously. If you are using WIFI, make sure you encrypt the connection and preferably hide the network and use MAC addresses to limit the systems that can connect to it. If you still have any issues or need help with the WIFI settings, post here and we'll be glad to help :)

Hello Members,
Please help me out on how to setup this D-Link G router with my current MTNL ADSL router. I tried doing thing which didn't work. I hope someone would help me in this issue.

Thank you.

Regards,

Karan

Hi,
I've setup a Belkin G router with MTNL's MT882 Modem

Could you please post a copy of the settings screen of your Router. That would definitely help me tell you better.

If u don't then also its fine, I'll try posting what I did.

1. You should have connected the Modem's Ethernet cable to the router and Router's Ethernet cable to Computer.
2. Now, if you type 192.168.1.1 , You should be able to access the Modem and If you type the address for router , it should go to Router's login page.
3. Double click on the Lan icon (the one that shows connectivity) > Properties > TCP/IP > Properties > and select Obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS automatically.

These are important since if you screw this up you won't be able to access anything.

3. When you go to router's main page - (on my page its on the left hand side , dont know about yours,) there should be Lan settings. DONT CHANGE THOSE. This is important. If you've messed it up then do a reset.

4. Now go to Connection type. First choose static. - Fill in the settings which you put in the TCP/ IP settings like Ip Address 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Gateway - 192.168.1.1

5. Now Again click on Connections type and this time select PPPoE - then put in the Username , password that you put on the MTNL's modem (its generally phone no. and CA no. as password if you haven't changed it)

6. Now, you select DNS settings and put in the DNS that you had configured in the TCP/IP properties.

7. that's it, now if you restart your Router, you should be able to access the net.

8. Worked for me, if it doesn't you might put up your settings snapshot and I'll point out the changes :)

Hope this helps

If you do not use a dialer for the Mtnl modem then just enable(auto ip)and dhcp in ur dlink router im sure dlink has most of the configs ready....If its a dialer you will have to setup pppoe or pppoa settings.... You will have to get all the settings before setting up your dlink router..... You can try searching on google for the settings maybe call mtnl and ask them for it .... Called Reliance and the girl either did not know but she did know a lot of excuses.... I found my reliance setting over Google and it worked fine..... It was pppoe and i found all the other settings like vci and vpi over google.....