xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Ghost Recon 2 Advanced Warfighter - Disappointing

I thought Ghost Recon 2 looked like my kind of game. I love challenging tactical shooters. When I first tried it, I was impressed. Fine outdoor setting, fun gadgets. That was until I started playing the game. What a disappointment. There is so much wrong with the game it is barely enjoyable. First and most importantly, the AI is just about the worst I've ever seen. You control a squad of elite soldiers. Professional shooting range targets more like it. I've never seen AI teammates so unintelligent. Problem #1. None of them seem even capable of shooting an animal, let alone be an elite soldier. I can order the entire team to go around the side of a building, a single enemy soldier looking in the opposite direction, oblivious to the world. My team will round the corner, stand there as if they were blind, and the enemy still shoots them before they do anything. This is on "Assault" rules of engagement. Problem #2. The "Attack" order is completely useless. I like using my squad to do tasks, so sometimes I order my elite sniper to take out a target. I can put them in direct view of the enemy with a perfect line of sight, and they will not fire. Don't even dream that they might actually position themselves in a position where they can see the enemy themselves. It isn't going to happen. They don't even return fire half the time. Problem #3. Vehicles are even more moronic than the squad. You can order them to a place not so far away, and they'll flip themselves over and render themselves useless for the mission.Problem #4. Some missions have serious bugs. At the beginning of one mission, your squad is dropped from a helicopter on a bridge. Immediately after the drop, your squad gets shot up by enemy machine gunners before you even have 1 second to order them to safety. What the heck?Problem #5. Restarting a level is DIFFICULT. You would think they'd know how to give you an option to restart a level, well they don't. You click restart, the obvious button, and it restarts you to the last save point, obviously not restarting. This is stupid, if for example you experience Problem #4. The only way to restart the level is to "Load" one of the auto saves. Problem #6. The game is RIDICULOUSLY hard. Like I said, I love a challenging shooter. I play all shooters (RainbowSix, Call of Duty etc.. ) on the hardest possible difficulty. GRAW 2 is beyond hard, and not in a fun way. It's not fun because the ONLY way you can compete with the enemy is if you snipe them from a distance before they see you. Either that, or sneak around corners very slowly. Otherwise, they'll tear you to shreds from a mile away even on normal difficulty. In call of duty for example, there are exciting firefights, you never know when a bullet is going to hit you, so you take risks and return fire. It's not like that in GRAW 2, if you're visible, and bullets are flying your dead. It's not very exciting. It's downright frustrating. It doesn't help that your squad are incompetent and never kill anything. Problem #7. Despite being a squad based tactical shooter, you HAVE to baby your squad. I just can't imagine anyone using their squad to do anything. I maneuver them individually and they still get killed. Half the time they don't even move into position. I keep them close by under cover and they stick their head out and get shot by a bunch of amateurs. The worst part is, you can't even just forget about them. You have to keep moving them around because at the end of the level they have to join you at the exit. You could kill them, but that's kind of stupid. I got the game BECAUSE I like controlling a squad.So yeah, GRAW 2 disappointed me a lot. Despite looking awesome on the outside, it's tooooo buggy. I can't believe it was released in this state. Patches fixed some bugs, but not many. I know great squad AI can be done, because playing R6: Raven Shield was a blast. I loved making plans and letting my AI controlled team kill everyone and save hostages. Unlike GRAW 2, the Squad AI in RavenShield made me believe I was controlling the best team in the world. I could let them handle a situation confident that they'd succeed if my plan was good.

This game takes on a different approach and more realistic so it might not appeal to casual gamers even the hardcore ones its just on a different genre and yes i know its very frustrating its more of a trial and error game where you'll die 1000000 times before you get it right oh patch the game because there are a lot of bugs and dumb A.I i fixes the game a bit