xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Doubt About Li-On Battery Life

I think I've asked a similar question earlier but this time it's a slightly different doubt. I got a new router yesterday and since it didn't work well with my PC I've been using my netbook a lot since then. I've had to charge it twice today and the processor is slowly starting to get louder. The base isn't too hot but there is definitely some heat coming out much more than usual. I think it needs a break and that's what I'm going to give it after writing this thread; I just wanted to know this - suppose I were to put it through this sort of work daily (just browsing the net daily; no other work), how long would the battery (6 cell Li-on) survive? And are replacements available readily in the market?

It all matters on the Power Usage of your Netbook and the battery capacity of the netbook. It could also be the age of the battery, the more the lithium ion batteries cells get used up, the less effective they become. A standard 6 cell lithium ion could last about 4 hours at a time but if you put the brightness up or use any other power consuming activity, the amount of time goes down. If you keep using it at a regular sessions per week, you should see that the battery loses it's power capacity every year by about 1/4 capacity.

Also, if you take good care of your batteries it should last for even longer periods, try to use the netbook charged if you are at home. Use the netbook through at least one full cycle charge a month, you can do this by completely draining the battery and then letting it charge fully to 100% at time. Try not to charge after it becomes 100% as this is major cause of batteries losing their power capacity.

I do that "cycle" thingy once every two weeks - I drain out the battery fully and recharge it again. I've read that it is a good practice :) And yes I'm getting 4 hours of backup on an average. I've put brightness to bare minimum and mostly use the netbook only to browse the net. To be honest, I'll be happy if the netbook lasts for two years (bought it three months back) because then I'll be purchasing a laptop. So if the battery lasts till then I'll be satisfied :)