xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NeXDesigns

Warning To Msn Users

I have just had about 5 contacts send me a link in about 2 minutes and then their computer crash right afterwards.
Im not positive if it is a virus, but the file extention tells me it is.

g.geurts1/handcuffs.pif

Be cautious around these files, they may be harmful to your computer, so ask before you click!

Ive heard that it is an automated program that send out the links through your buddylist and then crashes your computer.

Moderator Edit: Link Masked to prevent damage to users, or users who will use it for harming people.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

not sure, from what i see just anyone who clicked on it, sent it to everyone on their buddylist, and then crashed.One solution is you can use system restore, that seems to work well.and it worked on msn 7 and msn 6.

Guys I get these emails all the time with the '.pif' extension. These are deadly files. I dont even know where .pif came from or even what its really for. So juts stay away from it. :D

Wait a minute, so the link only being sent via msn???Or it could also to any messenger, and possibly email?In that case, you should change the name of the topic...Btw, thank you very much for the information, really helps me. Hope that it won't happen to me...

Could this infect you through the MSN messenger function of trillian? or is this just the browser program?Because .pif is an image format(IIRC) and ive gotten a lot of links to that or similar files, and i was worried if it worked through trilian since one of my computer non-literate parents might click it :D

Could this infect you through the MSN messenger function of trillian? or is this just the browser program?

Because .pif is an image format(IIRC) and ive gotten a lot of links to that or similar files, and i was worried if it worked through trilian since one of my computer non-literate parents might click it :D

51437[/snapback]

Image format? It's a format that is non-windows but lets windows run it or osmething like that. I think you're thinking .pdf, whcih is an image format.

Im not sure if it effects the trillian contacts, but it will crash your computer on anything you use, and if you click the link on this page it will do it, i might test it on one of my older computers that i dont use to see what it does.

.pif extension definitions:.pif-----0S/2 Graphics Metafile.pif-----Macintosh Compressed File Archive.pif-----IBM PIF Drawing.pif-----GDF Format Vector Image.pif-----Windows Program Information File <Most Likely Your Welcome, GuySpook

My tip is to message back the user who sent you the link. The virus will send this link with something like "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; with the message like "omfg" or "rofl" "lol" "omg" etc. Please do not click on those! And avoid posting the actual link in the forums, because some people might accidentally click on it. At least, don't use the /url tag for the link.