xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Why Is Real 'art' Visible Only To A Few People?

By Art, one doesn't have to talk just about paintings. There are many varied types of art out there. However, in this thread, when I say 'art', I mean just 'paintings'.

We often see reports about how some works of art were sold for millions of dollars, and wonder whether it's really worth to pay that much on a paining. I've seen some famous paintings which sold for a lot of money and frankly speaking I couldn't see why it was worth so much. Does that mean I don't know how to appreciate art? Or am I just blind? :) I do think paintings like Mona Lisa and even The Scream look good, but some of the modern paintings don't appeal to me at all. And it looks like I'm not alone. Quite a few people around me remain puzzled when they see such astonishing prices on paintings which are made of a few strokes. So is it true that only a few people possess the skill required to really appreciate the talent in these paintings? How is it that the same work of art appears as a gem to some people and a worthless piece of junk to others?!! What's the secret behind this?

i really think that the secret here is about the personal taste of individuals. some like art, some not. some like to watch it but have no intention to get it, some think that they should buy it. but after all it is HOW DO YOU FEEL about certain piece of arts. for example, i am a huge fan of painting arts, usually i like the realistic art, that represents the nature, human, and environment, but in the same time i like certain kind of modern art, this kind that represent a deep idea or give me a deep impression about something. therefore i don't get attracted to certain painting of certain artist, only see the painting and see if it affects me or not, i remember once i saw a painting represent a crying baby when i was young and till now i remember that painting and really want to get it if i find it somewhere.in the other hand, i believe that paying a lot of money sometimes in millions on a painting is a wast of money, even some consider it as investment but i am not, if i have a lot of money and want to spend it on something then i really prefer to donate them for some poor children or anything that could help others. even having a painting you are fond of and put it in your house is a great idea but still helping others bring more joy and happiness.?so i think i am that kind of people who prefer watching arts more than buy it.?

i believe that paying a lot of money sometimes in millions on a painting is a wast of money, even some consider it as investment but i am not,

Not all rich people are art lovers, and not all see it as an investment. There are many people who buy art just to show off how much money they have. When they have guests they proudly display their collections, even if they really know or don't, about its original value.

Not all rich people are art lovers, and not all see it as an investment. There are many people who buy art just to show off how much money they have. When they have guests they proudly display their collections, even if they really know or don't, about its original value.

and this is absolutely silly, even i like put ting paintings in my house but never show up in front of others. this is a bad part of human being that they should get rid of it not show it more. and i really won't call them art lovers, they  distort the meaning of art. the people who i will call them art's lover those who buy expensive paintings, keep them in their house and show them only to those who know the meaning of art, so that they can discuss and share thought with them not with everyone.

the people who i will call them art's lover those who buy expensive paintings, keep them in their house and show them only to those who know the meaning of art, so that they can discuss and share thought with them not with everyone.

well to be called an art lover one doesn't need to buy paintings all the time. If they can get it that's good but the true art lover will be satisfied by looking at the art and getting lost in it. If the person enjoys just one glance at the art and feels bliss in that one moment, then that person is a true art lover!

well to be called an art lover one doesn't need to buy paintings all thetime. If they can get it that's good but the true art lover will be satisfiedby looking at the art and getting lost in it. If the person enjoys just oneglance at the art and feels bliss in that one moment, then that person is atrue art lover!

agree with you in here simpleton, but i was replying  you at what yousaid before

Not all rich people are art lovers

or else i wouldn't consider myself as an art lover,i enjoy looking atpaintings and watching art wherever it is, in museum, in galleries, in thestreet, even through the net.

Hey I remember replying here -where'd my post go? :(

Anyway I had just said that when we don't get to buy art, i.e, when we don't possess it, only then can we appreciate its true value. If we manage to obtain the art easily, then we might not be able to realise how precious it is.

@wd: Oh and I also said that thanks for sharing is slowly becoming a sort-of catchphrase for you :P

Art for me is the product of your feelings. How you put yourself, your thoughts, your emotions into your heart and the price of it varies on the meaning of your art. How you affect the people who look into it. It is just something, you paint that looks beautiful, it should be something meaningful to be valuable.

More or less,art is a subjective matter to discuss about. A piece of art in any form needs insightful viewing(if it appears to be complicated), to be understood. Personally, I would try and evaluate a piece of painting taking into consideration the painter's thought process or the set of experience that lead him create the piece. Not to rule out the fact that it is .difficult to find and analyse what the actual thoughts would be. Mostly the creation carries symbolism that needs to be decoced with patience. Having said so, it would probably take away the pleasure derived from the appreciation of art simply by having a look at it. So, any art form carries a message that is from the creator, but its interpretation is very individual and unique