xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

4Th Of July And Dogs

As we near this favorite holiday, I would like to remind everyone to that while most of us get a great thrill from the flashes and bangs of fireworks, our dogs are not always so enthusiastic about this holiday. Many dogs are terrified of loud noises, and will panic and run away when the noises start. Make sure your dog is under strict control during this season. Many dogs escape in a panic and run away and are never seen again by their owners. This is not a good time to leave a frightened dog loose even in a fenced yard, panic can cause a dog that otherwise would not even consider leaving his yard to jump the fence and be gone. Only taking walks on a secure leash and properly fitting collar. Double check your dogs collar before the fire works season starts, checking for wear and tear and weak places that could break under extra pressure. Also make sure a name tag with your current contact information is on the collar, or if you have been putting off getting your dog micro chipped or tattooed, now might be the time to take care of that little chore, before it is too late. You might want to consider keeping your dog in a crate during the evenings when most of the noise is occurring. If a crate is not available, pick a secure room inside the home, that is as quiet as possible, and has no large windows, a bathroom would be a good choice. In extreme cases of noise fear, and as a last resort, you may want to consult your veterinarian to see if he thinks a mild sedative may be in order.

good call in posting this announcement. i only wish it was more closer to the holiday so people will remember better. we will have to remeber to bump this thread possibly when july comes. even the most loyal dogs will run away. my dog is known to stay by my side no matter what...but i remember one year, i took him outside for the 4th and he ran away to the other side of the house. scared the crap outta me because before you knew it, he was outta there. he's a golden retriever. now our standard poodle was a different story. THAT dog not only didn't mind the firewors, it would chase them along with bottle rockets.but i am with sheepdog. it doesn't really matter what dog you have to ensure it's safety! so be safe and ensure your pets are safe as well!

hmmmmm, so dogs running everywhere and loose their minds. good you told me guys, never be out in 4th of July :), or let's say never visit USA in 4th of July, even i like fireworks a lot? :( ?. like i could stand a walking dog, what about a dog acting weird, or loosing his mind.

Well, when it comes to people and taking care of animals properly especially on 4th of July, most haven't, but in recent years I see people not bring many pets with them when it comes close to the fireworks show. So, more people are aware of the damage that can be caused by fireworks which means less damage to a dogs hearing and a more safe environment for everyone around you.