xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DJM

Can A Perminant List Or Table Be Displayed On Your Site By Placing It In The Css Stylesheet? Without the use of frames.

Actually the htaccess file I created is not called anything (ie. when you look at the icon in the folder it is an icon with no name). It will not let me call it .htaccess? Sorry guys I should just give up because I am a total armature and this will probably get to frustrating for you all because I am hopeless at this level.

you are doing it right if you followed my instructions. you just need to upload that file to your domain directory with your ftp program or from your cpanel. if you double click it, your computer might not know how to open it, but if you manually select a program to open it with and select notepad, it will open. the reason why you can't see your file name is because you saved it the RIGHT way and the computer is recognizing it as an extention. in your folder options in your control panel on your computer, you have your extentions HIDDEN.

so again, from how you explained it, you did EVERYTHING correctly. you just need to upload that file now. don't give up or be impatient! this is a learning experience. we are not getting frustrated with you so clear your mind of that. i WILL be frustrated with you if you give up! :)

Has anybody here even thought that maybe the guy doesn't have PHP included in his hosting?Go check if you have PHP enabled in your hosting. If it was enabled, using .php extension should have done the trick.

Has anybody here even thought that maybe the guy doesn't have PHP included in his hosting?Go check if you have PHP enabled in your hosting. If it was enabled, using .php extension should have done the trick.

that is a good thought. if his hosting doesn't support php, then all this is for nothing. i am going on the lines that his hosting DOES support php since most hosting sites support it. also, his website as it stands now is in html so he will have to add that code to his .htaccess file to support php codes within an html document. changing his document from html to php doesn't make sense to me if he is only going to add one line of php code but that would work too, you are right....

I had interpreted that he had tried if it worked by changing his file extension to .php after a few people told him to above, that's why I said it should have done the trick.

I had interpreted that he had tried if it worked by changing his file extension to .php after a few people told him to above, that's why I said it should have done the trick.

it will, but this is a good learning experience for him none the less. he has to learn somehow and i think buffalohelps original post is the best way to go about it. there is also one more way to do it, but i don't want to confuse the poor guy :)
learning how to give his server certain instructions to have more control over his website is just as important as learning a little php along the way. sometimes the easy way isn't the best way :)

You guys are all awesome, I am going to do what you all said when I get home from work tomorrow and let you all know how it goes. I am sure it will definitely work now after all that great advice, thanks again.

Hey guys, I tired and it didn't work. Thanks for your help web_designer, I appreciate your time.

Well I uploaded the ".htaccess" file to my server. I then uploaded the "menu.php" file and it was called "menu.php.txt". I changed the folder options on my computer so I could see file extensions then deleted the ".txt" from the end of the "menu.php" file and uploaded it again. I had the appropriate text in the index.html and home.html files and then uploaded them to test and it didn't work.

Even though I have deleted all those files from my server now to change it back to the way it originally was before this test, I get a weird message when I type "goldenagegaming.com" into the explorer address-bar which is:

You have chosen to open

which is a: application/x-httpd-phd

from: http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=goldenagegaming&e=com

That message above only comes up when I type "goldenagegaming.com" but doesn't display when I type in the full "http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=goldenagegaming&e=com;. That never happened before I tried all this stuff. But I have changed everything back to normal so I don't know what the hell is going on lol.

Anyway everyone, I appreciate all your help SO MUCH and you are all very nice, but I truly give up as this is all over my head and I hate being babied when I can't do something like a dumb retard, and I obviously cannot do this stuff so thanks again for all your help with this and sorry to waste all your time.

well first, your not a dumb retard. second, your site works for me both ways so i don't know why some message is popping up. you might want to refresh your browser. i took time out to create the 3 seperate files you need. i tested it and it works so all you have to do is upload it.

BEFORE YOU UPLOAD THE FILES- you will want to save your current index file to you computer as your backup. then delete it from you domain directory

the three files i packed for you is index.html, menu.php, and .htaccess - you can download the zipped files here

after you upload the files, open them up to try and see what i did. again, i tested the files, and they work. so good luck.

good job anwiii , you precede me of doing that for him, same idea was in my mind? :). i hope it will work fine for you now dgm, and please don't call yourself dumb, you are trying your hard and this is away of being dumb i think. php can be confusing for someone who don't deal with it before, even me sometimes mess everything and get a lot of errors. so cheer up and everything gonna be alright.

I took time out to create the 3 separate files you need.

Hi, thanks very much or taking the time to do that. I just wanted to give up as I didn't want people spending their time doing it for me as it makes me feel bad. I put the files into the folder on my computer where all the files for my site are and it didn't work. I uploaded them to my server on the net and it didn't work also. I get that same message that I said I got prior.

Do I have to put any of the files in their own folder or a separate folder besides the index.html file? When you said it worked for you, was that on your computer? Thanks.

Hi, thanks very much or taking the time to do that. I just wanted to give up as I didn't want people spending their time doing it for me as it makes me feel bad. I put the files into the folder on my computer where all the files for my site are and it didn't work. I uploaded them to my server on the net and it didn't work also. I get that same message that I said I got prior.
Do I have to put any of the files in their own folder or a separate folder besides the index.html file? When you said it worked for you, was that on your computer? Thanks.

no. all files should be in the same main directory. what web hosting company are you using to host your website? when i tested it, i uploaded the files online and went to the index page. everything worked except the formatting as i don't have your css file but the formating didn't matter. i just wanted to make sure everything else worked.

so now we have to figure out why it's not working for YOU. i don't get any message when i visit your website with or without the "www". so i don't really know what your talking about? where do you get this message and when do you get it? is it an error message of some sort? do you see your site at all? i am not fully understanding what you are meaning. someone mentioned earlier that your webhost may not support php. have you verified that your webhost supports php? if so, what version is it?

someone mentioned earlier that your webhost may not support php. have you verified that your webhost supports php? if so, what version is it?

yeah DJM, please check if your hosting supports PHP  or not, if you like, just give us the link of your hosting and we will check it for you. and really don't panic. i am sure it is a simple thing you missed there, since anwiii tried the code before and everything worked fine for him. just do your best and things will be fixed eventually.

no. all files should be in the same main directory. what web hosting company are you using to host your website?

So now we have to figure out why it's not working for YOU. I don't get any message when I visit your website with or without the "www". so I don't really know what your talking about? Where do you get this message and when do you get it? is it an error message of some sort? do you see your site at all? i am not fully understanding what you are meaning. someone mentioned earlier that your webhost may not support php. have you verified that your webhost supports php? if so, what version is it?

Hi, my site is hosted at 50webs.net. That error message won't happen right now because as soon as I saw it didn't work I removed those files from the server and put the original index.html file back in there. I got that message when I uploaded the php and htaccess files plus the new index files and went to the site. Once I changed the site back I got it once again, but like you said I probably just needed to refresh the browser. So basically the message is only displayed when I add the modified index.html file plus the php and htaccess files. I assume 50webs allows php as it has a PHP Settings link, there is lots of setting in there such and choosing PHP 4, PHP 5 or PHP 6 and the following settings, (I have put what the current setting is for each next to the headings).

register_globals (ON)

The register_globals setting controls how you access form, server, and environment variables. By default this variable is set to Off, requiring you to use special arrays to access these variables. When register_globals is set to On, PHP scripts are more vulnerable to attacks.

short_open_tag (ON)

Tells whether the short form (<? ?> ) of the PHP's open tag should be allowed. If you want to use PHP in combination with XML, you can disable this option in order to use <?xml ?> inline. Otherwise, you can print it with PHP, for example: <?php echo '<?xml version="1.0"?>'; ?> . Also if disabled, you must use the long form of the PHP open tag (<?php ?> ).

display_errors (OFF)

These settings define whether PHP should display errors in the browser or be silent. It is recommended that you turn this setting Off during production to avoid any accidental display of sensitive information about your website. This holds true especially for dynamic websites that send usernames and passwords to access a database.

magic_quotes_gpc (OFF)

Magic Quotes represent the process of escaping special characters with a '/' to allow a string to be entered into a database. The process is considered 'magic' because PHP can do this automatically for you if you have magic_quotes_gpc turned on.

file_uploads (ON)

The file_uploads settings allow you specify whether or not to allow HTTP file uploads.

allow_url_fopen (ON)

This option enables the URL-aware fopen wrappers that enable accessing URL object like files.

allow_url_include (OFF)

This option allows the use of URL-aware fopen wrappers with the following functions: include(), include_once(), require(), require_once().

memory_limit (8M)

This sets the maximum amount of memory in bytes that a script is allowed to allocate. This helps prevent poorly written scripts from eating up all available memory on a server.

post_max_size (8M)

Sets max size of post data allowed. This setting also affects file upload. Note that this value must be larger than upload_max_filesize.

upload_max_filesize (2M)

This setting specifies the maximum size of an uploaded file. Note that the upload_max_filesize value must be smaller than post_max_size. Otherwise the post_max_size value should be used.

max_execution_time (30)

This sets the maximum time in seconds a script is allowed to run before it is terminated by the parser. This helps prevent poorly written scripts from tying up the server.]

zend_optimizer (OFF)

This setting enables Zend Optimizer and Ion Cube for your PHP version. Note that if this setting is enabled, the APC module should be automatically turned off.

apc (OFF)

The Alternative PHP Cache (APC) is a free and open opcode cache for PHP. Its goal is to provide a free, open, and robust framework for caching and optimizing PHP intermediate code.

If enabled, this setting will automatically turn off the Zend Optimizer and the Ion Cube modules for incompatibility reasons.

unfortunately, your hosting website is blocked from my server and my antivirus, so i couldn't open it. but i remember this site, it supports PHP and MYSQL. anyway, i checked it through the net, and i found it supports CGI, Perl, PHP, MYSQL. so the error then in your files.?now i don't know why you are insisting that your index file extension to be .html or .htm. just change it to index.php and use the include function and everything will be great. this way you don't have to use .htaccess file.try it please and inform me the result.

well i tried to sign up at 50webs to see what is going on over there and it wouldn't allow me to sign up. they said i was using a proxy which i am NOT.

you might want to turn on url includes to ON. i really don't know what that is for. maybe for server side includes. it wont hurt to turn it on though if you have the ability to turn off and on your settings.

take a look at the working code here. don't mind the background and stuff. i have my own css file. if you view the source, you wont see the include fuction. it is replaced by the menu itself, but the menu IS in a seperate file, and the fuction IS there. it's just showing the code for the output.

also, you might want to check if a .htaccess file is supported under your current plan. some free webhosts wont allow you to change settings through an .htaccess file. if you find out that this is the problem, then you need to do what web designer said and change your site to php. i don't recommend this way though unless all other options fail. the code would be the same, but you wouldn't need the .htaccess file.

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)