xisto Community
bigboss

Microsoft Uses 20% Bandwidth

I had this seto to 0, for over 3 years now (yes, same win instalation, no reinstalls for 3 years), and there are no side-effects... I would agree, that the system reserves 20% of badnwidth when commiting updates, and I'm quite sure it reserves 20% of bandwidth when it's communicating with microsoft servers, sending them who knows what data... I have this as a fact, as when I installed a firewall, I could see that certain processes are attempting to contact a certain IP (that is registered to microsoft) very often, somewhere between once a minute, to few times a minute... So, there's your privacy...Anyways, since I have never ever used that update feature, and never updated from m$ site, I set this to 0, nad I'm happy about it... Though, I suspect that this setting is sort of for show, and that the system still reserves certain amouont of bandwidth for it's own tasks...

My system arrived witht this option DISABLED, so I doubt that setting it to 0 will have any adverses side-affects: I think rather it is better used for the opposite use, so if you are browsing a simple text forum or something and automatic updates is running, boost it up to 50% so that it actually downloads the same day, as opposed to you having to wait several hours after surfing for it to finish downloading...

Just out of perspective, isn't bandwidth actually the CAPACITY of a connection as opposed to its speed?This would explain why you wouldn't receive a boost to your connection speed with the testing server, but you could possibly MAINTAIN that speed with THAT server PLUS maintain a connection with another unique server.Basically, I'm trying to say that bandwidth is to network as RAM is to processing ability. :XD:

I just activated the tweak in my computer. Now let me see whether I am gonna get a boost in Bandwidth or not. I honestly hope this doesnt have any side effect to my networking and Windows in general.

Thanks for the tip bigboss. This will probably get my internet speed going to the speed it is supposed to go if not faster, instead of slower. :P