xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FouGilang

F# (F Sharp) anyone?

well it happened that i went to my friend's house and playing around with his PC. then i found out in his installed programs list, along within microsoft visual studio 2010, this " F# ". since i haven't heard anything about it, obviously i asked him like "what's this F#? " and he just said that he don't know anything about it and just installed the ms visual studio for his university's task so he doesn't really care what it contains (oh that just like him... dammit) :) . it really disturbed me because other than the fact that i haven't heard it at all, i never found any books or articles related to it too

so now i'm interested to find out more about this programming language and went to google and wikipedia
this one is from wikipedia :

F# (pronounced F Sharp) is a multi-paradigm programming language, targeting the .NET Framework, that encompasses functional programming as well as imperative object-oriented programming disciplines. It is a variant of ML and is largely compatible with the OCaml implementation. F# was initially developed by Don Syme at Microsoft Research but is now being developed at Microsoft Developer Division and is being distributed as a fully supported language in the .NET Framework and Visual Studio as part of Visual Studio 2010.[2]

and some introduction overview :

F# is a strongly typed language that uses type inference. As a result, data types need not be explicitly declared by the programmer; they will be deduced by the compiler during compilation. However, F# also allows explicit data type declaration. Being a CLI compliant language, F# supports all CLI types and objects. But it extends the type system and categorizes types as immutable types or mutable types. CLI objects classify as mutable types (which can be edited in-place), and are used to provide an object-oriented programming model. Immutable types (editing such a type creates a new instance without overwriting the older one) are primarily used for functional programming.

more wikipedia on this link : http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
got this one from the microsoft itself :

F# brings you type safe, succinct, efficient and expressive functional programming language on the .NET platform. It is a simple and pragmatic language, and has particular strengths in data-oriented programming, parallel I/O programming, parallel CPU programming, scripting and algorithmic development. It lets you access a huge .NET library and tools base and comes with a strong set of Visual Studio development tools. F# combines the advantages of typed functional programming with a high-quality, well-supported modern runtime system.
This combination has been so successful that the language is now a first class language in Visual Studio 2010, and can also be used on Mac, Linux and other platforms. F# originates from Microsoft Research, Cambridge, and the MSR F# team, led by Don Syme, continues as partners with the Microsoft Developer Divsion. We seek to continue to break new ground in programming language design and implementation by making F# even better in upcoming versions.

the microsoft F# developer center can be found here : https://www.visualstudio.com/

more googling about this "F# programming" only leads to other definitions, sample code, and other things that looks like can be found on the ms developer center (which is i think the best source for now lol). well it seems that it just released on april 2010, and there aren't many books about it yet

has anyone tried it yet? just want to hear some opinions out there :P
Edited by FouGilang (see edit history)

GOD, thank you a million, i didn't know about that even i installed "microsoft visual studio 2008" 3 months ago and didn't see anything like that. what are they microsoft, they come up with new software every month or what!! Posted Image

thank you for sharing fougilang.