xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

What Do You Do When You Feel Depressed?

I sull up like a whipped pup. Stay up half the night, wasting time on the computer, don't do my work, or just what I absolutly have to do and not one iota more, get withdrawn and won't talk to anybody, sometimes I get a book and read until the wee hours of the morning, I get quite self destructive when I get depressed. Of course, all this just makes me more depressed because I know I have things I have to do. I just can't make me do them. I really hate it. Fortunatly it passes in time. I really don't know that there is anything I can do about it. It seems I just have to ride it out. And it case you look at the time of this post, you can see it's almost 2:30 am, so guess what......

I sull up like a whipped pup. Stay up half the night, wasting time on the computer, don't do my work, or just what I absolutly have to do and not one iota more, get withdrawn and won't talk to anybody, sometimes I get a book and read until the wee hours of the morning, I get quite self destructive when I get depressed. Of course, all this just makes me more depressed because I know I have things I have to do. I just can't make me do them. I really hate it. Fortunatly it passes in time. I really don't know that there is anything I can do about it. It seems I just have to ride it out.And it case you look at the time of this post, you can see it's almost 2:30 am, so guess what......

it is a good way sheepdog, this way you can fix things between you and yourself. better than some people, when they get stressed or angry they disturb everyone around them, they even do stupid things they regret it later.

I sleep when I'm depress. Sleep relaxes me and though I'm still depress when I wake up, it clears up my mind and I get to look for ways to lessen the effects of depression. When I'm really depress, I watch movies even if it's really lame. There are people who pigs out when they're depress. I think each person has his/her own way of managing depression. Exercise works for some while not for others.

I go out and take a walk ..maybe go to the beach, relax a little you know?

walking on the beach is the perfect way to relax, i try it myself. i lived for a period of my life near the beach, and i experienced that feeling of peace. sea has its unique charm that effect on people in positive way, when you walk on the beach sand , and hear the sound of sea waves, it is just like a soft melody or it's like a giant orchestra plays just for you. especially in dawn or sunset. nothing compare to that feeling silence it forced you to relax if you want it or not.

therefore, doctors advise persons who have psychological disorder or suffered from stress and depression to live near the beach or rural areas at least for a couple of weeks .

I don't get depressed often, but when I do I either write poems, lyrics, or I just sing... sometimes when I am really depressed I listen to Home by 3 days grace, and I cry, it really helps >.<

When bored I play Chess or watch cricket.I'm one of the weird types of people, I rarely feel depressed lol. I'm sometimes in the dumps but one way or the other I find a way to get myself out and enjoy life.I was reading a book once that recommended some deep-breathing and putting on a big smile to feel better when feeling blue and eversince I started, I think it has helped me loads! When I wake up and start feeling bad...i just know improving, or should I say paying attention to my body language helps me in a big way.For all those who feel depressed from time to time, i'd recommend getting a hobby and doing the thing that you like when you're feeling a bit down. It has worked for me in the past and one other thing...you have to force yourself no matter what!! It will be worth in in the end!!

I was reading a book once that recommended some deep-breathing and putting on a big smile to feel better when feeling blue and eversince I started, I think it has helped me loads! When I wake up and start feeling bad...i just know improving, or should I say paying attention to my body language helps me in a big way.

depression is usually linked to stress and anxiety so taking a few slow deep breaths is ALWAYS a good technique when depressed

you also bring up a good point in knowing yourself and paying attention to your depression because your body language or tone of voice or actions which could be a direct action from your depression, can affect others negatively so it's important to pay attention to that too because someone might give you a negative response which triggers a more negative response from you and the cycle begins in how we affect eachother......even strangers.

in this topic i want to add an important thing that we didn't talk about.we all know that depression is a slow pain that eat us inside, that maybe ends in a few hours, in a few days or in a few months, depending on who we are and what are we capable of. my new addition here is GOD. GOD is the true power in our life, this power that gives us faith, believe and the ability to continue living no matter how we live. although GOD is the ultimate power that show us the way but not everyone depend on it when be in troubles. if we every time feel depressed, cross our hands and pray from our heart and ask GOD for our interior peace i am sure we will feel more peaceful and relieved. maybe it's not work for everyone but at least it works for me, it kinda depending on the faith we kept inside our soul. i tried that many times before whenever i feel so depressed or lost and no one could help me, i just pray for my god from the bottom of my heart and i always could see my way back and feel much more better, thank you GOD for being always by my side and never let me down, you are the only truth that never change in our life and our only shelter.

When iam depressed i either shop a lot ,try n spend a lot of money :) .If this is not possible i try n keep myself busy in the company of kids.This is such a great anti depressing therapy.U play with the kids and enjoy their silly things and forget the large worries.U sometimes realize that what we are missing is the innocence in us and how we make our life complicated.Kids teach not to worry and enjoy life.

Depression is the state which is necessary to be discontinued as quickly as possible.Life comes with multiple ups and down but this what it is made up of.We can't help it. When iam depressed i either shop a lot ,try n spend a lot of money :) .If this is not possible i try n keep myself busy in the company of kids or pets.Cats n dogs are so innocent and enthusiastic that they fill happiness in one take.This is such a great anti depressing therapy.U play with the kids and enjoy their silly things and forget the large worries.U sometimes realize that what we are missing is the innocence in us and how we make our life complicated.Kids teach not to worry and take life easy, make us realize what we are missing in our day to day life.

well, the best thing for me to do is just listen to music....coldplay is usually on the list. Secondly i just text any one special or just give them a ring, don't know why but it usually helps. Lastly i just sit back and enjoy a game of wii to free mind from all the stress going. that usually works the best for me!

When iam depressed i either shop a lot ,try n spend a lot of money .If this is not possible i try n keep myself busy in the company of kids or pets.

i agree with you  chinin, shopping is the best way to get rid of depression, even it means that you will spend a lot on useless things. lately, i went to do shopping to relax a little and end up buying two hats that i don't even need  :), but still a great way for me. but unlike you i always stay away from children, very very far away when i am depressed because they really can drive me crazy when i am in my mood, then just imagine what will happen if i was depressed  :P.

I strongly feel you cant fight depression by getting into it contemplating, introspecting or trying to solve it rather the best thing is get out of it.... when you do stuff that takes you of the subject bothering you for sometime you give your mind which is already stressed a much required break..... once you have settled your thoughts and anxiety.... thats when u try to solve it.... and you will be surprised at how easily things work out and solutions spring up..... okay a few things i prefer to do when Im disturbed/depressed....

Cook: Cooking is the ultimate blessing of God they say, i personally find it as an Art. Cooking anything usually takes atleast 30 mins... and for those 30 mins (atleast) you fully concentrate on only one thing, the chemistry happening in your pan... (that is if you are a good cook that is...) you need to continuously monitor the change of color, texture, aroma and taste (presentation I leave it professional chefs only). it is a brilliant distraction and at the end of it you get to eat too.......

Swim: Thats again very much on the lines of cooking, you got to completely focus or u gonna have water where air should be Posted Imagenow we all know thats worst than depression.... so hey its just you, the water and your breathing .... at the worst even if u swim for 30 mins its 30 mins of pure synchronisation of the above three and nothing else... again its a brilliant distraction and at the end of it you have more rippling muscles to display... now hows that to come out of depression, eh?Posted Image

Play an instrument: Like a guitar, flute, drums whatever you can get your hands on... I do obviously realise the horror your neighbors would endure.... but hey people help people dont they... and being neighbors they have a right to know when things are blue with you... Ok maybe you can avoid the drums.... You never know there could be others in the neighborhood who are depressed, you could come together form a band or something.... it could be the solution if your reason for depression was loneliness in the first place. Again a brilliant distraction (because you atleast try to sound good and that sure needs a hell lotta concentration, and for amateurs like me who play like their life depends on it its a indeed a good physical regime... infact guitar sessions are responsible for half of my six-packs..Posted Image. dont ask me which half... I hate people to know that Im a leftie... Posted Imagei guess Im driftingPosted Image) and at the end of it you emerge talented, if things go well.. u meet the neighbors, form the band, get signed by virgin, have timbaland produce your tracks... you could be the next Michael Learns to Rock.... (who wants to put on that they didnt start that way, this is what good neighborhoods can do... see Beatles, UB40, Black Sabbath....

Well there is another "activity" Posted Imageyou could "engage" Posted Imagein, that I would strongly recommend but the board rules prohibit me from discussing it in graphic detail.... and without graphic details its no fun discussing Posted Image

Martial Arts: you need some training initially just know which way to kick... always use the opposite hand next.. its the most logical thing to do...Posted Imagemartial arts require concentration, discipline and dedication of the highest order (or your sensei's gonna whack your crack.... infact the training you undergo itself makes you realise the power of simple things in life.... I mean ask a guy who is been punching a stone wall for three weeks what a hand spa means to him... you can almost see tears in his eyes by the mere mention of it.. But thats how it is infact post the training people claim they never feel depressed... they say Posted ImageWhat sensei put us through not even life Can... ha ha ha.... I mean those guys are happy u kno.... Again its a brilliant distraction and you never know maybe there is a 9-tailed fox sealed within yeahPosted Image

Thats it for this post.... hopefully this helps... will give more tips next time....

Edited by jackknife (see edit history)