xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
deadmad7

How To Decode Wordpress Themes Essential to Wordpress Coders

Ever download a theme from the internet and 'Activate' it and found that you want to edit it a bit? Want to change the text on the bottom? Make the sidebar blue? Add ad positions? Then found yourself looking at a bunch of gibberish with words like eval(str_rot13('shapgvba or $_F=__FILE__:? Alot of people quit when they see these words on their screen. Ever get a 'threat' that says that if you decode the theme they will sue you? Don't listen to them, because every time you load through your site, you are actually decoding all of that and end up with real words on your screen. Though, it is recommended that you get a theme without any encoded objects and that is 100% open source because decoded themes usually contain malicious codes and stolen code also there is no authorized reason for a theme author to encrypt a theme file but accidentally end up with this one, don't worry, this trick will help you.

1. Load Up your theme.

2. Go to 'Theme Editor'

3. Go to the encoded area.

4. On top of the encoded area, add <!-- Below is the encoded stuff -->

5. Below the the endcoded area, add <!-- Above is the encoded stuff -->

6. Save the theme .php file.

7. Load the theme file in your browser, for example, if the archive.php is encoded, open a archive.

8. Right click and select View Source (firefox) / Open Page Source (Chrome :P)

9. Press Crtl + f and search for 'encoded stuff'

10. Copy the code between the php comments you added.

11. Open your theme editor, in your admin dashboard.

12. Paste it on the encoding, replacing the encoding.

13. Save the file.

14. Now open the encoding page, for example, open the now-decoded archives and if you don't notice any changes and it looks exactly the same as before, you did it right!

15. Now repeat this step with all the encoded files, if there are any.

This works for most of the time, and it is the simplist way to decode a theme file, a wordpress or any php/html file (steps in html files vary abit). If you can't get your files encoded this way or find it too hard, you can also go automated way.

For most of the encoding, it starts with a eval(gzinflate(base64_decode('...')));: for this encoding, go to http://www.tareeinternet.com/scripts/decrypt.php

If you have $o=fs$fds : encoding go http://ottodestruct.com/decoder.php

If you have $_F=__FILE__:P encoding go to http://www.tareeinternet.com/scripts/byterun.php

If none of this works for your encoding, as a last resort go here http://ww5.decodethe.net and try every method and it should work 99% of the time ;)

It's a good yet basic method: if you have to decode the loop or some code that is dynamically generated (e.g. a list of the latest posts), the HTML output code won't work for you.Still, this is very valuable info. I remember I had once found a theme that I liked, installed it but it had that kind of too notorious footer notice about the theme author which really looked like an ad banner. And I tried to search in footer.php file of the theme and some other files how to remove it, but it called some kind of function to deliver the whole footer section, something like writefooter() . And as I couldn't find where it was defined, I finally gave up with that theme. It must have been encoded! Silly me...