xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OpaQue

I Like The Chinese/japanese Style Of Having Tea

Hey Guys,How many of you have noticed in Chinese/Japanese movies about the peculiar style of having Tea. I so love it! Please post your comments.

By the 'peculiar' style do mean drinking tea with a Kimono on and setting down on those small chair thingy? or the style of the cup and how they hold it with two hands? Or is it the tea itself and how healthy it is? Cause I like all the above ;) I tried it once in a Hong Kong restaurant with one of those sliding doors, its fun for a day and then it gets boring :P

i saw that strange way of drinking tea, do you really like it?

for me, not at all. the perfect way to make tea, put the water in the electric tea pot, put tea-bag in a hug with a little of sugar and VOILA, i have a quick and delicious tea and i will give it to my husband ;) because i don't like tea a lot but may be add some milk and took it to myself.

this way of making tea is complicated, for the god sake how much time it takes, i will spend an hour or more making tea and make nothing to eat :P , may be because they used to it, or they have a lot of time, but i know that it is one of their traditions and they are so strict about traditions.

if you want, see these links oh how to make Chinese/ Japanese tea

http://www.chinatownconnection.com/making_chinese_tea.htm
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

by the way, they called it tea ceremony, because it take too much time. :P

I guess tea making must be an art cause frankly I am not patient at all. I just cant wait 10 minutes for tea. After all we are an impatient generation now. We need everything instantly. I remember when I was a kid and my nan (grandmother) used to make tea it took like half and hour, you did not have tea bags then they were for rich posh people, you had tea leaves which basically look like the stuff inside a tea bag. You had to bring the water to a boil then add two teaspoon fulls of the tea leaves and the let that boil for a while to brew ( hence the nick name in England for tea is brew). The smell would change from one that didnt smell like tea to one that smelt like tea and if you had tasted it before the boiling for few minutes the taste was totally different. Then she would add milk and let it boil again and it would taste really good. Now everything is instant, instant coffee, instant tea no brewing just boil kettle and pour water in cup, dip the tea bag few times and its ready. What is impressive for me is that I have also come to realise that there are thousnads of teas aroound the world. Growing up for me tea was black always. Maybe light brown if you put lemon juice and creamy brown if you added milk. Then came green tea when I was about 100 years old. Then Ice tea. Now I am grown up and go shopping and I realise on shel there is strawberry tea (its red) Lime Tea is yellow, there Twinning Relax tea which is pink, there is every color of tea that is imaginable except gold and silver but other simple colors they are all available and I ask who is deciding that this plant makes blue tea and this one makes purple or orange color tea. Tea must really be something a treasured art form for sure but alas for our children they will grow up knowing this as the way to make tea and they will never really understand that tea making is probably an art. You see, I remember once i tried making tea and I was only 7 seven. I thought tea was just heated water with tea leaves and because when you a child you dont like hot tea i thought no need to much about boiling it when I will add cold water to cool it down so save myself time and just get hot water from a tap and when the water is right temperature that I like. Use that to just make tea and save me the trouble of waiting for it to boil. I did this, the color was perfect but when i tried dringkign it, the taste was rubbish and the smell wasnt pleasant at all.Another thing is that I have realised that tea also relaxes you if you drink it it calms you down but thats another topic that.

I remember when I was a kid and my nan (grandmother) used to make tea it took like half and hour, you did not have tea bags then they were for rich posh people, you had tea leaves which basically look like the stuff inside a tea bag. You had to bring the water to a boil then add two teaspoon fulls of the tea leaves and the let that boil for a while to brew ( hence the nick name in England for tea is brew). The smell would change from one that didnt smell like tea to one that smelt like tea and if you had tasted it before the boiling for few minutes the taste was totally different. Then she would add milk and let it boil again and it would taste really good.

ah mandla, you remembered me with the sweet old days, my gandmother and my mother, in fact even my sister till now using tea leaves for making tea, and waiting a while till they get the perfect test. but for me i am a little impatient. boiling tea is really gives many flavors every minutes. it was delicious even for me who don't like tea so much.

but in the same time, we have a tradition about making tea for visitors, of course i won't make a tea bag for anyone visits us. first we boil water adding cardamom seed to it, it gives it a great smell and good flavor, then we add black tea leaves, wait for 5 minutes or more and pour it in tea set (i really love tea set with tea pot, cups, milk pot and sugar pot, even sometimes containing tea spoons and a tray) and serve it with cake or cookies. sometimes i prefer adding ginger powder to tea and milk to become something like french tea type which called "the au lait".

about the tea types, there are many flavors now in many colors but the most healthy one is green tea but it is not very delicious at least for me, and all kind of tea have a little amount of caféine which help you relax and concentrate.