xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Opinions And Suggestions On My Computer Network

My final consisted of designing a computer network and since it was my first time doing it, I had to go through many revisions to get somewhat passing. I keep it professional and so what I want is some comments and suggestions of my network to see how it can be improved based on the following specs.

You have been asked to design a network for a new office. Your network has the following requirements:
100 workstations and 2 printers on the first floor
50 workstations and 1 printer on the second floor

All workstations use DHCP
Wireless is available anywhere in the office.
A web server that is available on the Internet
A mail server that is available on the Internet
A web server that is only for internal network use.
A file server that is only for internal network use.
VPN access for remote users.
All computers are behind a firewall.

You have an account with an ISP, who has provided the following network information:

IP address range: 214.216.100.16 -- 214.216.100.24
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.240
DNS: 214.216.100.253

Develop a network diagram (or diagrams) that shows the following:

1) How do the workstations connect to the Internet?
2) The IP configuration of each server.
3) The IP configuration of 3 example workstations on the 1st and 2nd floor.
4) The IP configuration of the router.
5) The kind of cabling and network hardware (ie. hubs/switches) used between computers
6) The ports that should be opened on the firewall
7) The IP address your users must use to connect to the VPN
8) The DHCP address range for your workstations
9) The proper IP configuration for your wireless access point. (Also, where do you think is the best placement for the access points?)

Attach are the PDF files of my computer network so take a look and see what you think.

First_floor.pdf
second_floor.pdf

I'm not a guru with large networks like this. From my understanding of a router, an IP Address (Public IP) comes in and distributed to devices connected to (Local IP Addresses). All requests to the servers will first go through the main router/firewall. I believe the 2nd router on the network set up you have is unnecessary. I would recommend transferring the 2nd router to handle all data within the local network. Oh. I got tired of talking, currently drawing up plans. Please wait. Post it in a bit.

For some reason, I can't edit my previous post.

Anyway, here's a quick plan I created. For one thing, the printers should have a static IP Address that is easily reachable by the computers in the first floor. And, in case, one breaks down, the other printer should also be available. The same goes for the printer in the 2nd floor, if it breaks down, the printers on the first floor should serve as a back up. (and vice versa).

The requirement of the project is that there should be wireless connectivity throughout the area. I assume that since its in an office area, the wi-fi should also be within the network where the 150 computers are connected and should also have access to the printers (1st or 3rd floor), so I put it on the the same network as the other computers. Ohh. My bad. Instead of being a wireless router, it should only be a wireless access point.

It's really simple. Will think about a better plan later this evening. I did not take into account security issues, possible problems, etc. Just want to make it work.

Posted Image

Edited by linekill (see edit history)