xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nirvaman

Google Is Using Site Speed In Web Search Ranking Google Adds Site Speed To Web Search Ranking Algorithm

News

Yep like you may heart , or read on the news article published on the google's official webmasters central blog ,Google added a new signal in the the search ranking , and it's website speed , they evaluate website speed for a web request .

Adding this to the Google algorithm will not affect your ranking , as much as other signals , they actually said that less then 1% of the search queries are affected by this new signal , and this apply only on english queries on google.com , soo theorically it won't be a problem , but if you are willing to rank #1 for an english keyword , then you have to think again about your webhosting account ;)

I think that a lot of websites will be affected by this change,i mean websites with a lot of images , flash coded websites *like Xisto homepage*....etc

What do you think about that trappers?
Edited by nirvaman (see edit history)

They're giving up quality for speed. Not a very good trade, in my opinion.True, sometimes I get frustrated when a page doesn't load in the first few seconds, but it's better to have a page with relevant information and wait a little longer than to have a page that loads fast but doesn't help.HOWEVER- I don't think this will be much of a problem. If your site ranks very high, then chances are it probably will also be fast to respond.

I can understand somewhat where Google is coming from. You might have the coolest and navigable website on the internet, but if you cannot handle the user load to it then it is taking away from your site. The last thing a visitor to your site wants is slow loading pages. If you are hosted on slow servers that is something that is easily fixed. If the servers are slow because of an abundant number of users then that is not necessarily a bad thing, but again easily fixed by moving to more powerful hosting.

They're giving up quality for speed. Not a very good trade, in my opinion.

I think soo too ! we have seen a lot of good , or should i say great websites that loads quite slowly , but it not the webhosting problem i think,but it's because of the images and javascript.
Css may take your speed down too, javascript,a lot of includes ....etc ,what Google want to see on the net according to this is website without css , javascript , images ....etc

I think that Gmail is slow ,Google analytics code will slow your website if you put the code in it ; so is Gmail going to lost ranking because of this new speed signal.Are people going to continue using google analytics if they know for sure that it will slow their website and ruin their ranking ?

A lot of questions needs answers , and till now i can't find it!

I don't think this is a good idea, at all. What about all the ads, twitter modules and images that people have on their site? This is definitely going to bring those people down. Though, I could optimize my site and go to #1 beating all my competitors, but that won't be just right, they worked hard for years and all I have to do is make useless paragraph posts and my site loading time average will go up and I will get better SERPS. What about all the websites hosted on a slow server somewhere in the middle of nowhere? The websites will be loading slow and google will rank them down.

All of you guys should strip down your site and get rid of useless code like Google Analytics as they take too long to load. It would be useful if Google told us how to make our sites load faster. Before it was all : Have unique content and update your site alot. Now its : Make your site faster. This is actually a great draw back for us, but for GOOGLE they are actually cutting back expenses by having faster website to crawl through.

Though this does help alot of users but not us developers and web designers. Also, Google has recently messed up Youtube and now its going for the throne . Bravo Google. Your Google Adwords has a loading screen on it and you are telling US to make OUR site faster???

I suggest you guys use these tools to make your site faster:

Page Speed, an open source Firefox/Firebug add-on that evaluates the performance of web pages and gives suggestions for improvement.YSlow, a free tool from Yahoo! that suggests ways to improve website speed.
WebPagetest shows a waterfall view of your pages' load performance plus an optimization checklist.
In Webmaster Tools, Labs > Site Performance shows the speed of your website as experienced by users around the world as in the chart below. We've also blogged about site performance.

I doubt this is going to change that much but if it really does rely a lot on speed then little sites with no pictures are going to be at the top of search engines which is bad. Like I said I don't think it with change the current order that much but still I think they should stay how they are.

I don't have much to say:

There are a lot of portfolios out there. There are a lot of photographers that need to have some pictures online to show off their work. And web designers need to have appealing websites to sell their work.

It seems to me that since Google introduced Buzz their popularity is like:

| Apple

|

| Microsoft

|

\/

----------------------

Ouch!

I do agree with Google. I think fast pages are important. I see many sites using PNG where they could've used GIF, many loading fancy javascript drop-down menus, many using image gradients and corner images where they could've used pure CSS. And if IE compatibility is that important, heck, you can use IE filters.
And take it easy guys, it will only affect 1 percent. Anyway, I see many plain sites in results when I search for information anyways! Sites like Tizag.com and such. This could affect news sites tho, and maybe some of the top news blog sites would be 1# in search results rather than a content-heavy and stuffed-with-ads news site when you search for quick news.

It would be useful if Google told us how to make our sites load faster.

I have written an article about web page optimization. Here's the link if you're interested: http://tutoriary.com/.