xisto Community
Jonnyabc

Men Who Wear Necklaces: The Cut-throat Report Is it appropriate for men to wear girlie apparel?

You Decide  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First, it has been a month or so since I've probably written anything of value in (the newly named) Xisto, but I'm back. [Applause] Thank you, thank you. Second, it was difficult for me to find the right location for this discussion/debate. Should this be considered beauty and hygiene, is it more a matter of a society, or that of art? Third, I'm sort of surprised I'm writing about this of all things, but I noticed a photo of a friend and it came to my attention that I should consider creating this topic.Since my first visual encounters of it as a boy, I have always been troubled by seeing other guys wearing (what I would call "girlie") necklaces?no, I?m not here to discuss military dog tags or a Catholic priest?s cross which serve as professional functions. I'm not so aggressive that I would discriminatorily criticize a stranger out of the clear blue about their apparel choices or create a scene where the police would have to drag me off the premises, but it does somewhat bother me when I notice it.First, let me be clear. In man's own defense, I dare say men have been wearing necklaces just as long, if not longer than women. I would be negligent in this report if I did not allow you to see the entire picture. Take a look at native tribes around the world. Almost every male ruler, whether Pharaoh of Egypt or chief of an island in the middle of the Indian Ocean (just for an example), wore at least one necklace of some form or fashion. I'm no historian or anthropologist, but it doesn't take much to recognize that this is a show or presence of power and domination, a gift from one empire/emperor to another as a reminder and promise of peace or imperial submission to a greater kingdom.But in the last several centuries, necklaces became less symbolic of male dominance, and more symbolic of women's apparel and beauty, although it is only fair to mention that it still represents class in the greater sense that the more costly it is, the more money you have which is a form of power. The issue arises when you consider, is it manly to wear little silver chained necklaces? I would personally be less embarrassed to wear a four foot long, bear-claw necklace down the street than a little silver one with a couple initials on it. If men are going to go with chained jewelry, go buy a nice, windup pocket-watch.Where do we draw the line? The next voice you hear will be someone claiming that I also imply that Sitting Bull should not have had long braided hair and that Irish and Scottish kilts (skirts) should be banned (although I don't think you'll ever see me in one of those anyhow). By no means am I saying this is true, nor am I saying it is not. Either side has good points...I'll let you decide and debate that for yourself.Should only men OR women flaunt colorful garments and jewelry? Typically, people might assume that women are the primary leaders in this department, which is commonly true. Men wear suits or tuxedos, but most of the choices look alike (black suit and the typical white shirt). The primary variation might be the tie that they wear. Women, on the other hand have a wider range of mediums, whether it's the cut, color/design, material, etc. They have the unlimited choices (so what if they?ve filled up four closets and still ?haven?t a thing to wear??). But let us take a minute to look at nature. Both men and other large male mammals attempt to proudly prove their strength to the on looking women and female mammals (respectively), hoping that winning a fight against the competition will prove to be the romantic charm. I dare say women think it is more childish, using the exclamation "Men!" to generally explain our rough and "mindless" behavior (in their eyes). While all of this is creditably true, with the birds however, it's the male who struts his colors while the female, with less elegant features, watches onward.I don't think men should wear women's apparel, and likewise women with men's apparel. Although, like the popular joke that goes, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" we should ask ourselves, who wore the skirt first, the man or the woman? Today we all know that blue represents boys, but more importantly that pink represents girls. However, did you know that at one time, those colors were once the reversed? That?s right, pink used to represent boys. Odd, yes, in today?s terms, but not back then. However, the rate of men wearing pink bears the question, will it once again reverse someday? People never learn.I want to persuade men to stop wearing girlie necklaces and earrings?Fine, wear jewelry, but please, find something that looks manly as well as something that makes you an individual. Yes, bear claws will do if you can?t think of anything better (I jokingly write that of course). I would like to say something to the same effect about women and their apparel, but by doing so I would be considered a discriminator for sure, so I?ll leave that for a woman to bring up that can of worms. So where does that place us? I never really answered or completely proved or persuaded my point 100% either way. That?s for you to decide. I gave you the rundown, now I await your replies and criticism (I imagine anyone who reads this and has an opinion will certainly cut this up, bit by bit, and forcefully ask where my references are).

Edited by Jonnyabc (see edit history)

my take on it is this....men should be allowed to wear anything they want. as long as they have a beer in one hand and a remote in the other, it's all good. women however....well.....they shoudl just remain barfoot and......ummm....completely naked. they shouldn't be wearing anything at all.welp, i hope this helps your thread. i tried. in any case i am sure i took some heat off you. i had to vote that i didn't give a crap.......

You should note that all of the options within the poll do not reflect the conclusion which you stated. Also, the terms "women only" and "men only" may come off as ambiguous. But i'm guessing you mean the ones that are labeled "women only" should only be chosen by women, and the ones labeled "men only" should only be chosen by men. Or is it that anyone can choose whichever?

As for my stance, i can't say my stance is accurately reflected in the poll, so i will not vote in the poll. But i agree with your opinion except that i wouldn't just go with what is considered manly, but rather by whom it was made to be worn. Jewelry should be used in accordance with the decision of its (their) maker. If it was designed for men, let it be for men only; if it was designed for women, let it be for women only. The only unfortunate part is that not everyone labels things "just for men" or "just for women." Sometimes they are obvious, and sometimes other terms are used to differentiate between the two (e.g. perfume and cologne), and some may place them within the "men's section" of the store. But when there are no obvious signs, i wouldn't call it safe to assume that it is gender-neutral.

I should mention, though, that one does not need to absolutely consider the maker's purpose for the jewelry. Rather, it should only be considered when one is seriously looking to buy jewelry for themselves. In this way, any designers who like to play around with terms and style where the jewelry obviously looks like it should have been in the men's section instead, or vice versa, but is labeled for the section it is in, can be avoided.

My take on this is that people should be able to wear whatever they want. It should not be up to society to determine what is and what isn't appropriate. I personally would not be caught dead wearing a pearl necklace or a diamond studded gold necklace with charm on it, however I grew up in southern california as a surfer and skater boy. I do get my neck wear at a store that most would consider girly, but there is only certain types of shell jewelry that I will wear that looks good on me. And I am talking good by society's standards not my own ;)P.S. As much as I am for individuality, clocks should be banned from being worn around the neck *cough cough Flava Flav*