xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
T X

Why?

Among the fundamental human rights can remember the right to individual liberty, the right to life, the right to self-determination, the right to a fair trial, the right to a dignified existence, the right to religious freedom with the related right to change their religion, including, recently typed legislation, the right to protection of personal data (privacy).So if you see it in such a perspective it is something linked to fundamental rights.

I guess I could say that I believe in religion because of my parents, they stressed upon the necessity of having some sort of deity or god in your life to make you achieve for something. Its different with me though, I believe in God, that there is one, and He does watch upon our very actions. But I can't accept that man's definition of him is true, I don't know whether its the Bible, the Bhagavad Gita, Q'aran, or the Torah is correct. There even more concepts and faiths that split our true God into different forms. I think that in the core principle we believe in a Creator is the fact that we must exist, and the fact that we exist is the problem, who controls chance, the fact that a quark actually exists, even if we get down to the most basic particle of all, in the case of String Theory, the actual string, or ring or whatever the current iteration is, who created that particle. If energy cannot be made or destroyed, where did the first energy come from, if it was matter that was converted into energy, where did that matter come from. There must be a source, and whether that source is dictated by Science or Religion, I do not care, but the fact is that there must be a source, and that is why we believe, because we do not want to be insignificant pieces of matter and atoms, who's only purpose is to survive and reproduce, but rather that our actions here account to something over there.

I guess I could say that I believe in religion because of my parents, they stressed upon the necessity of having some sort of deity or god in your life to make you achieve for something. Its different with me though, I believe in God, that there is one, and He does watch upon our very actions. But I can't accept that man's definition of him is true, I don't know whether its the Bible, the Bhagavad Gita, Q'aran, or the Torah is correct. There even more concepts and faiths that split our true God into different forms. I think that in the core principle we believe in a Creator is the fact that we must exist, and the fact that we exist is the problem, who controls chance, the fact that a quark actually exists, even if we get down to the most basic particle of all, in the case of String Theory, the actual string, or ring or whatever the current iteration is, who created that particle. If energy cannot be made or destroyed, where did the first energy come from, if it was matter that was converted into energy, where did that matter come from. There must be a source, and whether that source is dictated by Science or Religion, I do not care, but the fact is that there must be a source, and that is why we believe, because we do not want to be insignificant pieces of matter and atoms, who's only purpose is to survive and reproduce, but rather that our actions here account to something over there.

I love it, a religious person who doesn't get hostile!

In all seriousness though, you put up a great argument. If a child was adopted from birth and raised, he will never question whether his guardians are his real parents unless they're too different (ethnicities etc). I also like how you take other religions into consideration but your own. However, what I love most is that you use modern-day science to justify your answer.

I have a few questions for you, however:

1) If you doubt some forms or definitions of God, you obviously pick and choose from the Bible to what fits your life. If you do, then why pick and choose at all? You can just live by the morals that you believe in without living by some of the (let's face it) silly stories in there (no offense to anyone). I guess you'll answer "because something had to have been there to start it all", and I agree with you. Science has not yet reached the point where it can answer every question.

2) If there was a completely comprehensive proof that proved the beginning of the universe (we're really far away from that, I know), would you still believe that God created the universe?

3) Simple question. How old do you think the Earth is?

Thanks for taking the time and being open-minded, Xalor ;)

If god is all about faith, why doesn't he come down and show his face? Then everyone would have faith.

Yeah, but what if God(Allah coz I'm a Muslim) doesn't have a face like us, why everyone believes that The God is like humans with legs, arms, face He is more complicated than that. In the bible you read that God is the father of Jesus Christ, ut it can't be possible coz to be the father of someone you must be a human a living organism and God isn't like that we know that all humans one day die and God can't die. If you read the Qur'an you will see things more clearer than now. ;)

Yeah, but what if God(Allah coz I'm a Muslim) doesn't have a face like us, why everyone believes that The God is like humans with legs, arms, face He is more complicated than that. In the bible you read that God is the father of Jesus Christ, ut it can't be possible coz to be the father of someone you must be a human a living organism and God isn't like that we know that all humans one day die and God can't die. If you read the Qur'an you will see things more clearer than now. ;)

Most people in the U.S. are Christian, and Christians believe that God made humans as reflections of himself. Therefore, Christians believe that God looks what we call 'human'.

'Father' is also a general term. There can be a 'father' of a concept, but that does not mean that the person is a concept.

Most people in the U.S. are Christian, and Christians believe that God made humans as reflections of himself. Therefore, Christians believe that God looks what we call 'human'.

Actually, that may be a misconception on the Christian belief. While it is stated that we are made in God's image, Biblically there is no definite, physical description of God, and there are hints elsewhere in the text that suggests "in God's image" deals with other attributes or characteristics. And while it may mention being under His wing or the angels seeing His face while in Heaven, those aren't definite and are mostly metaphorical. However, Biblically there is a physical description of angels, though there is no mention of them having wings (as seen in paintings).

In Qur'an it states that angels light creatures made to follow Gods orders. There exist different angels for different jobs, for example Gabriel the angel of revelation, Azrael the angel of death etc. I haven't read for any "wings" in Qur'an.

proof proof proof. now i'm no preacher of god. far from it. but when people want proof that there is a god and neglect talking about wanting proof on other things as we walk this earth in ignorance of many things, it's just ridiculous in my eyes

Asking for proof is futile, but asking for evidence is not. Asking for evidence, or reason, if you have none, should be commended.

you either believe or you don't.

Agreed, those two options represent the full set of possibilities and thus the statement is a tautology.

you either make some sense out of what you don't know, or you don't.

What do you mean by "make sense out of what you don't know"? Because as far as I can tell the statement is an oxymoron, you cannot make any sense out of something that is unknown, by definition. You need to have knowledge of something to make sense of it. I would say that no one can make sense of something they do not know.

I heard someone call the catholic religion the worst religion. why why why? all religions are different and hold their different beliefs. if we are trying to find the truth, no one religion holds it. they are all different. i do agree that money should not be a part of any religion but that is beside the point most all churches have their offering plates.

Agreed. Making a statement such as "X religion is the worst religion" is meaningless unless you specify your criteria for the judgement of the quality of a religion. I do not believe that any religion holds THE truth, with respect to their core beliefs... they may each hold truths, but I don't think those truths have anything to do with god, the origin of humans, the origin of life, the origin of the universe, or any of the other "big" questions. As sure as they each hold truths they also each hold fallacies.

but do you even have to go to church to be religious? do you have to believe in god to be religious? no on both counts. churches don't make a person religious and just because you go to any certain church doesn't mean you ARE religious. atheists are not bad nor good. religious people are not bad nor good. we all have bad and good inside us and it is not only defined by our belief in our own selves but those who see us.....judging as we judge our own selves.....the good and bad are just judged differently on different levels according to their own personal beliefs.

Agreed, well put.

personally, i think many people are fake. they believe in certain religions when they can't even believe in their own self. or people say they don't believe in god because their is no proof although they will have faith in other things they can't prove. a lot of people are FAKE in my opinion. some act fake on purpose. some don't some just don't take the time to even find out who they are

Agreed, but with one caveat. Proof is not required to rationally believe in something, nor is it often even practical to ask for. All that is required for a rational belief is evidence. The strength and quantity of evidence should directly effect the veracity of the belief. This is reason, this is rationality.

people use god as an excuse for their lives wether it's total crap or if they accoplished something. they give all credit to god. i really hate it when someone accomplished something big in their life and they say they couldn't have done it without god when in fact it's the actual BELIEF that helped them. we are our own worst enemy. not god. we either accomplish or not accomplish. not god.....for the most part
i'm not saying there is or is not a god. i'm no preacher and never will be. what i AM saying is we are accountable for our own actions and we are on this earth to be better people with god as a crutch or without god and strongly believing in our own selves. i am neither an atheist or religious when it comes to any god. i am neutral. always will be....because.....i'm just me.

i hear people who survived accidents and turn to god as the only logical explaination. i see people looking at the trees and listening to the birds sing and thank god as that could be the only logical explaination. i see people die and i hear other people either blame god or switch sides in not believing in any god that can allow things to happen when it is the human race that allows things to happen and they use god as an easy out to believe in something different.

Agreed on all counts.

we have to see to believe and if we don't see, that should automatically make us non believers. so i guess if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around to hear it, it can never make a sound. so we have to see to believe huh? maybe we DO see....and we just don't want to believe. those are some sad people who try to use failed logic to believe or not believe.

I disagree. You do not have to "see" to belief, even if I assume that by "see" you meant experience. KNOWLEDGE requires experience, BELIEF only requires evidence. FAITH is belief without evidence, which is irrational and should be avoided.

i know my post is a lot of mumbo jumbo, but the most important thing to consider is not if god exists or not. it all starts with knowing who you are, and believing in yourselves because if you can't even do that, then you will never hold any answers and you will die one day as someone who lived a fake life because they didn't even know who they were. they just followed the crowd to the cliff and jumped off....... not even knowing why.

This is a good point you make about thinking for yourself and not simply following the crowd. I would only add that, on the position of god, one should strive to live life in such a way that the presence or absence of any god would be irrelevant, then you will truly be free, no matter what you believe.

Why are people religious? It is because they have had a like vision with them and god like hanging out?
I mean, I'd seriously appreciate someone going in-depth about why religion makes sense and why it makes sense to be religious.

I've never really thought about religion until now since I've been atheist my entire life.

Can someone explain a little bit like what the bible and stuff say? I heard about it from a friend but I'm not interested until now because I got shot and I survived and I don't understand why. I was supposed to die but I didn't.

Thank you.

That's like asking why are people golfers, or why are they historians. For someone who doesn't play golf or is into history it might seem silly to walk miles hitting a small ball with a long stick! What sort of fetish is THAT!

I think people who criticise religion do so in ignorance and in their ignorance they get the wrong idea. I was never into history but the more I learn about medieval England the more fascinated I become and it is the same with theology. The deeper you go the more fascinating it becomes and the more you learn the more it gels into a cohesive whole.

People can talk about football for hours but until you go to matches, and play it for yourself you can never "know" football like a footballer and the idea of twenty-two grown men chasing a bag of wind around will seem forever silly, untill you become a footballer and then you see it like you have never seen it before. All I can say to people is to get off the sideline and into the changing room, become a Christian, study the Bible, pray, open up your heart to God and a whole new world will enter in.

All the best.
Edited by Sheffield (see edit history)

There should be some belief for a person to know why he/she exist.TO complete this curiosity we present various theories and the base is any religion.Why are we destined to live the way we live today.We need some kind of nourishment to our soul to calm it as it is always curious to know a whole lot of thing.Many questions are answered by religious theories which a logic and evidence can not answer.It is all about having faith.When we fall in live we need something to stand up again and to move on in live.When we loose people and dreams we need an answer to why did it happen.Religious theories sometimes fulfill it and make us ready to move in the odds.Some people are religious in the same manner as some people are believer in science only.Religious people are taught to learn the difference between the good and the bad by the fear of punishment from God which comes through various religious teaching.When i fail and become hopeless when i do no reach the desired results and aspirartion i think of Bhagvat Geeta which says ' Work is Thy Duty Reward in not Thy concern'.I move on and start off again.Religion never harms anyone it try to guide us.But when religious teachings are not understood in the actual crux and the real meaning is misinterpreted then it is a big harm to the society.This leads to superstitions and thus kills the real goal of religion.