xisto Community
sheepdog

A Real Vacation!

Finally, a real vacation! No dogs involved either! First time in probably about 15 years. All of our previous ?vacations? involved loading up a bunch of pups in the RV and taking them with us to sell them. Not really much of a vacation when that?s what I do all year long anyway. But we had a good time this year. It was of course, a ?poor man?s? vacation, we stayed with my sister in law way down in southern California so we didn?t have any big hotel bills to worry about. They have a spare bedroom so it was quite comfortable. We didn?t do a whole lot, made a trip to Quartzsite Arizona to the big swap meet there, and visited the swap meet at Calexico, and then of course, our usual trip to Mexico. I always enjoy our day in Mexico, all the street vendors, great food, and we get new eye glasses and I have a favorite dentist there where I get my teeth cleaned for a mere $25, as opposed to the $90 it costs me here in the United States. (not to mention, he does a better job than my US dentist) Other than that we didn?t do much, but honestly, that is exactly what I wanted to do. Nothing. Sat on my butt and read books, ate and just relaxed. I brought 6 books with me, and went threw all of them and had to pick up a few more at the local swap meet. The weather was beautiful, I could sit out on the front porch all day and read, my in laws have a nice front porch with a real couch on it so it was quite comfy. We did great weather wise, got out of Missouri just before that really bad cold spell hit here, and got out of California just before the rains hit there. All in all it was really great. Just wish it could of lasted longer! The bad part of vacations is that sooner or later you have to come home. Then there is that rush to catch everything up. The hired men do a fine job of taking care of the dogs, but there is just so much they can do, so I am one busy person for awhile after coming home.

you have a regular dentist you go to in mexico? hahaha that's the funniest thing i ever heard. tijuana always has a good atmosphere on revelution st. but i always liked to drive deeper south. that's funny though about the dentist. i lived in so cal most of my life and never considered going to the dentist while in mexico. the only thing that annoys me about mexico when you first get in, is some little kid always wanting to clean your windows whenever you are stopped at a light. that gets old really quick. they are worse then the homeless on freeway offramps. i have a few mexico stories. they are funny now looking back, but not very funny then....i have to say though. 15 years and no vacations? and the one you take is to san diego....or wherever it was you were. you didn't say. you should try to save up one year for a trip to maui, hawaii, getting a room at a hotel on the 10th floor or so over looking the ocean during whale season sipping pena coladas or mai tai's all day. now THAT is a vacation. if you ever get bored, there is always snorkling....or just exploring....especially on that road to hanna,hawaii on maui which has to be the strangest road i ever drove on, but on the way, you can hike a mile to see pools of water that you can swim in and has waterfalls flowing in to them. if your only going to take a vacation every 10 or so years, THAT is where you want to go. not mexico :angel:

LOL, nothing so noteworthy as San Diego, at least they have a cool zoo there, this is a tiny town in southern California, Niland, to be exact, out in the middle of absolutly nothing but farm land. Ok, they do have the Saltan sea nearby, big pond with lots of dead fish laying on the banks. Real tourist attraction! But your right, a trip like you are talking about would certainly be a dream vacation! I would love to do something like that. I've always wanted to see Hawaii and other cool places like that. I drool every time I see one of those Carnival crusie ship ads on TV, expecially those with pools and stuff right on shipboard. But puppy sales are going to have to get a whole lot better than they have been for the past few years before I could ever manage something like that.

I'm from the Philippines Why don't you guys visit us here we have a lovely country we have countless islands each with its own tourist attraction, and there's a Fiesta every day some where in the country, and on the plus note where the only country in Asia that almost all the population can speak English, Plus we have the biggest malls its not tax free like other country's but its still very reasonably price.Come visit us here message me and we could hook up

Ohhh .. i really need a vaction. A long vacation alone..somewhere there are fun adventurous sports . I want to tour some places with a group of friends or alone :( its been years i had any.Before visiting any foriegn place i would travel to my own country...so much to see here and i have seen so less here :(

Your thread reminded me about the vacation that i failed to take this year. Lol about your dentist story. On the sidenote, you need to take vacation atleast once in year. Going away from home and workload helps sometimes. By the way, just curious about the dogs you keep. Why not post their pictures in new thread. Maybe that way we can all post about our pets.

I always dreamed to visit California. I think it's a beautiful state. Would like to visit Los Angeles and Hollywood. Maybe I met a famous actor or actress, and maybe get the autograph. I love the beach as they were full of people, and it has a lot of surfers. Would like to see Walt Disney Concert Hall, and other sights. I think I'll make it very difficult. Air ticket is very expensive, and I live in Europe. Maybe once in my life visit California, when I came to some money. I think that the right vacation can happen only when you have good company. Never would like to travel alone, although it is for some people a good option.

I never really have a nice vacation. Every time I go out somewhere far, I am always in a hurry back home. When I tried to rest for a day, my mind is occupied with things need to be done but I resist the temptation to go back to work. I wish I could really have a nice vacation without thinking about anything.

When I tried to rest for a day, my mind is occupied with things need to

That is a really huge problem for me. Mostly because I actually do have an awful lot to keep up with, and so I feel guilty if I goof off for a day. The first few vacations we took I had a hard time learning to turn off those feelings, but I finally managed to do it. Now I dread going home once I do finally get away.

Not sure if we will get to take a trip this year or not. I've actually been thinking about this for the past couple weeks. But that's mostly because I have a tooth about to fall out, and I am too chicken to yank it out myself, and I hate to pay a dentist here $100 for 10 seconds worth of work. And all the TV news has us a bit concerned about all the trouble in Mexico with the drug wars and stuff. I'm not sure how safe our favorite little town is, though I can't see it being too bad, since the entire town is strictly there as a tourist trap. Los Algodones is where we always go.

hmmm a vacation and a dental visit, sounds like fun..... its been a while since i've had a real vacation, the last one was to bali, in the febuary of 2002. We stayed 1 block away from the main blast, so its kinda spoiled our fav destination.but i think a vacation is always a good thing just have to agree with Sheepdog its not easy shutting down the mind and getting away from all your day to day troubles and enjoying the break.and when you have animals to care for its even harder as you need to find someone to look after then while your gone and you worry about them as well.......I so need a vacation and a house sitter that can handel my kids (dogs) while we are gone...... any offers for a few weeks in country Australia looking after a few kids for me ?

You better head out to the dentist to take your tooth away so you can have a peace of mind. How long do you plan to keep your tooth that way?

I have a tooth about to fall out, and I am too chicken to yank it out myself, and I hate to pay a dentist here $100 for 10 seconds worth of work.

How long do you plan to keep your tooth that way?

Well, as long as I can put up with it I guess. I thought for sure it was going to have to go a few weeks ago, when it abcessed, but I took a round of antibiotics and it got better. Only problem with it now is that my tongue tends to rest against it, pushing it out of alignment, and when I chew it catches wrong and pops, which drives me crazy.