xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Spring Pet Tips

I keep telling myself that sooner or later spring will be here. Despite the fact that we got snow last night just a few short miles west of here. I just am so sick of winter all I can do is look forward to spring. So I thought it might be good idea to remind everyone to protect their pets when spring finally does come. Here are some hopefully helpful reminders. It is early in spring when pets are most likely to suffer from heat related problems. After their bodies have adjusted to the colder winter temperatures, those first few really hot days we get in early spring can be devastating to pets not accustom to the sudden heat. Many people give their dogs a haircut for the summer months, but often this is not done until later in the season when the weather is completely stabilized and is warm all the time. Unfortunately, we seem to always get a few very warm days early, when the temps hit up in the 80?s and these are the days that can cause real problems. Dogs can actually die of heat stroke, and they are more likely to do so in those first few hot days than they are after their bodies have had a chance to adjust to the temperature changes. Make sure your pet has access to plenty of fresh water, and a good shady spot, even early in the spring. If you have a coated breed that you do shave down later in spring or early summer, be sure to keep an eye on your pet?s hair coat until you can get it to the groomer?s, or you do your own clipping. The frequent spring rains and constant wetting of the coat can quickly cause hot spots to start on your dog. And then too, along with spring comes all those pesky critters dog owners despise, fleas, ticks and the like. If you don?t do heartworm protection year round, spring is time to restart your heartworm protection too. Mosquito?s carry the parasite, and when they start flying, your dog is at risk for what can be a fatal parasite infection. Most breeds of dogs shed naturally in the spring and if you don?t want a hair storm in your home, now is the time to get busy with the doggie brush. Even short haired breeds shed, and will benefit from a good brushing. With long coated breeds, it is important to brush frequently in the spring when the coat is shedding naturally to keep the loose and dead hair removed from the coat to prevent matting if you prefer not to clip your long coated breed. Happy Spring everyone!

it musta snowed a lot. i am up north from you and got snow too. at least 3-4 inches in the last 2 days.i have a question for you. it's been haunting me. i have my indoor dog. i live in an apartment. it kinda sucks when i take him out when it rains. not because i don't like the rain, but his paws get all dirty and muddy. i find myself having to wipe his 4 paws every time i take him back inside. is there an easy way to handle this matter other than taking a wet rag to his paws every time? or is it just going to be like feeding a baby the rest of my life....there has to be an easier way....i hate dog tracks on my carpet haha

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

They actually make little booties you can put on your dogs paws for walks in the rain, but it is probably easier to just wipe your dogs paws before coming back in than trying to get all 4 paws covered up in boots, keep them on, take them off, and of course not to mention then putting up with all the rednecks and other hillbillys making fun of you for doing it. :angel: