xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

Trouble Migrating Wordpress To New Domain

ok, i am gonna kill myself, can't make my new domain work :angel: look at these long queue of problems.i added my domain as addon domain, i bucked up my database, i exported my old database from phpmyadmin, i export data from wordpress, after that i installed wordpress to my new domain folder and make sure to choose the new domain during installation, then i upgraded wordpress. and i created database by phpmyadmin. till now everything is ok. i checked my new domain and it worked good with the new wordpress installationthe next step is to import database and use replace and search plugin, but every time i import the database strange thing happened, i can't find search and replace plugin in my wordpress even i add it in plugin folder in cpanal. so how can i activated it when i can't see it in wordpress???it's like i have a completely different website from my cpanal. that's because when i add plugin in cpanal i can't find it in wordpress. when i tried to add the plugin from wordpress by add new plugin, i couldn't because i got an error when i tried to add hostname, username and password. the same problem occur when i tried to update wordpress to the new version.so, as you can see i stuck in this step. also, i tried to upgrade my old website to the new version of wordpress, but i got the same problem. after that i tried to import the xml file that i exported from my old database wordpress, but i got temporary file missing error. the result is that no matter i do i still have a copy of my old website, the only change is i can enter it from the new domain, but my whole info and links still the same old thing, and the biggest problem that i can't change anything.why? and where is the wrong step, i don't know.i spend the last four hours trying to find solutions but i can't. i hope you can help me with any idea or anything. thank you.

you know, i thought you were beyond the database issue by now. you even said you were in another one of your threads. this is your third thread about the same problem and you are really getting confusing when you are posting so much. and not staying in one thread so we can actually help you!now i suggest you just delete everything you've done and start over FRESH since you have a backup. obviously whatever you did is not working so we first need to know what you actually did. did you try installing manually? because if you did, then you would have to change some of the backup files to your new domain. your config.php file should be the first one you edit. then, i would install the search and replace plugin so your links point to your new domain.import the database FIRST, then copy your files from your old domain to the new one. edit the config.php file and make sure wordpress is pointing to your new domain. install the search and replace plugin to change the links that are pointing to your old domain.you may also have to do a few 301 redirects depending on how you had your pages set up originally because i remember you stating in another thread that the posts were fine, but the pages would revert back to your old domain. so if needed, you would also need to install that pages plugin i stated in your other thread, edit your pages by changing the link and clicking on the 301 redirect. and then just saving the pages that way on your new domain.now i would HIGHLY suggest you delete EVERYTHING you've done so you can start working on importing things the right way and changing the links the right way.you posting this third thread after posting two others is VERY confusing and would be confusing to anyone. maybe this is what you are doing to your own self. let's keep it simple, everything in one thread this time until we can resolve your problem. i know you're frustrated but your problem is fixable so let's see what we can do to fix the problem.

I have to agree with anwii on fresh start as you had backup so need to worry about it now. You can remove the installation on old subdomain. Then you can remove the current failed installation. Once you do that start with fresh installation.

Here is some links to help you out in this process:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i have to agree with you. i will delete everything and start again. because i really get mad yesterday. when i post the previous two posts i got my website to work good but my links and pages not. so i delete everything and start again and installed wordpress again but i got this series of errors, maybe because i had a headache yesterday. any way, i will follow your instructions and see what will happen, thank you.

did you try installing manually? because if you did, then you would have to change some of the backup files to your new domain. your config.php file should be the first one you edit. then, i would install the search and replace plugin so your links point to your new domain.

if you asking about wordpress installation, then no i used fantastico deluxe in cpanal to make the installation after that checked the config.php file and it points correctly to the new database, after that i imported my old database but here i have a question?
there are two ways to make the import, one from phpmyadmin (here i exported my database from phpmyadmin), and the other from wordpress (here i exported data from wordpress platform). which is the better way??

another question, do you have any idea why i can't upgrade my wordpress , i use the automatic upgrade but it asks for host name, username and password, whatever i put as an information i can't proceed.

yea, i wouldn't use the import/export feature in wordpress. i would back up and import directly from the cpanel. there probably wont be a problem exporting and importing from wordpress itself, but i've heard that it could get bogged down if there are a lot of posts and somewhat unreliable. through your cpanel, it's a little more trickier, but not hard and very reliable. that's why i suggest doing it that way.

to upgrade anything or even upload plugins, you need your ftp account information. your main account info will work. the account info you use to log in to cpanel. your host name is your domain name with your extention. your user name is usually your host name or a shortened version of it. and obviously your password is obvious.

when you replace your files and import your database, it is very important to change your config.php....but more importantly is to replace all the links that link back to your old domain....so the search and replace plugin makes it really easy to do that. now if your going to use 301 redirects(which i recommend), then it's also important to keep the same permalinks to your new site as you had with your old one....but that would be the last thing on your list to do along with your .htaccess file and robot text file and any updates you need to make to your newsfeed etc....

the most important thing right now is to get your site up and running with all the links pointing correctly.

if you asking about wordpress installation, then no i used fantastico deluxe in cpanal to make the installation after that checked the config.php file and it points correctly to the new database, after that i imported my old database but here i have a question?there are two ways to make the import, one from phpmyadmin (here i exported my database from phpmyadmin), and the other from wordpress (here i exported data from wordpress platform). which is the better way??

another question, do you have any idea why i can't upgrade my wordpress , i use the automatic upgrade but it asks for host name, username and password, whatever i put as an information i can't proceed.

ok, right now i tried the two ways of exports, from the wordpress and this time it failed , i don't know why. and the export files from php my admin which works good. but it changed my username and password in table users in the new database. it replaced them with the old ones in my old database. therefore, i couldn't enter the wp-admin after importing data. so, what do you think of that???also, about config.php, because i use fantastico deluxe to install wordpress, it create the database and set the user name, and password in config.php file. so what else should i change??should i add anything to it after importing data???

i believe you would want everything in your database to be the same as before except for the links for posts and pages. just use you old admin name and password. that should work, shouldn't it?

i don't know if this will help you, but i added this to my config file...

define('WP_HOME','http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ name');
define('WP_SITEURL','http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ name');

it's the same settings you can edit in your admin control panel, it just makes them more permanent.

and as far as the database, i woulda just installed that from scratch. in fact, i would have just installed everything manuel since you already have all the files. it woulda been as simple as dragging and dropping the files and folders from whatever ftp program you use. for the database, you would use the same name/user/password as your old one and import your file

and if your having a problem logging in to your admin area in wordpress, then there is a major problem and i wouldn't know what that is. when you import your database, i believe there is a scroll box and i think you need to make sure "utf8" is checked before you import.

ok, right now i tried the two ways of exports, from the wordpress and this time it failed , i don't know why. and the export files from php my admin which works good. but it changed my username and password in table users in the new database. it replaced them with the old ones in my old database. therefore, i couldn't enter the wp-admin after importing data. so, what do you think of that???
also, about config.php, because i use fantastico deluxe to install wordpress, it create the database and set the user name, and password in config.php file. so what else should i change??
should i add anything to it after importing data???

i can now see the problem very clearly, the problem happened when importing data, because of the difference of my databasename, username and password. the last two hours i was searching for a solution in the net, and you said that,too.i thought of changing db, user name,and password before importing. but it would be hard since my old database still in php myadmin. and of course i can't make two databases with the same name. thanks a lot for your replies, i'll try to do something about that.