xisto Community
martvefun

How Do You Partition Your Disk ? for more than one distro

Hello,When I install new distro, I'm always wondering how will I partition my disk.I've read lot's of different thing. You need or not have separated partition for your /home, /boot,...Can somebody explain me when is it a good idea to have a separated partition and why ?Here is how I do for now :- I've a big partition (>100gb) to share files between distro such as music, video, docs,... everything not linked to a certain OS- For each system I've my /home on the same partition than /. It's simply that if I loose my system, I don't really care about loosing the configuration of it. All the important files are on the shared partition No ?- I've read that it's good to have different partition for /boot if you have several distro. But I don't understand why. Anyway, I've a 100mb boot partition only for the distro the grub is installed on (archlinux)Is it good ?other question :- what about primary, logical and extended partition ?- do you use LVM or something similar ?- my firefox and thunderbird profile is on the shared partition but I've problems when it's not the same version of the program installed (with the extensions), do you have solution for that ?

Separating /boot isn't really necessary, but separating /home is wise. The root partition normally doesn't need more than 15gbs of space. If you are going to be putting more than one Linux distro on the same hard drive, then you are going to want to use an extended partition and then divide that into logical partitions for distros to fit in (for their / directory).

instead of reinstalling your entire operating system you can download a software name norton magic partition. it allows you to partition the file without the hassle of reinstalling anything. once the partition is done all you have to do is have fun with it. easy, effective and time efficient.

maybe it wasn't clear that it was for linux distribution only.I don't need a soft to do it but a method.So truefusion, what you said is to do 2 partitions by system + the data one ?3 system = 8 partitions : 3 root, 3 home, 1 data and 1 swapI read that the advantage of having a separated boot partition for the one where the boot is, is that if I crash my main distro (with the grub on it), I can still access the other systems

So truefusion, what you said is to do 2 partitions by system + the data one ?3 system = 8 partitions : 3 root, 3 home, 1 data and 1 swap

If you're going to install two distros, then by what i said it will be: 2 root, 1 home, 1 swap, and whatever else you want—just add 1 to root for every other distro. The only thing i've experienced with having different distros accessing the same home directory was that some change the group or some other directory setting. Normally, this is not really a problem, but from experience Fedora and Ubuntu don't seem to play well together in this area—though that may have changed since the last time i tried Fedora.

I read that the advantage of having a separated boot partition for the one where the boot is, is that if I crash my main distro (with the grub on it), I can still access the other systems

Normally, whatever is installed in /boot is unaffected by any system crashes. Keeping /boot separate means you can uninstall the distros and still be able to boot the system with GRUB (or LILO). But keeping /boot separate means each may try to overwrite things in /boot. Some distros allow you to skip the installation of the boot loader, but some may not. I've only ever had one distro installed at a time, so i am uncertain of any conflicts that may occur by separating /boot and by not separating it.

and what about LVM ? have you ever used it ?

I don't recall ever using it though it is possible that i've used a front-end that uses it and i didn't know it.