xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Samleeuwenburg

The Human Element Could very well be what its missing

A story about a human function being replaced by a machine isn't such a big deal anymore, in these days where my brand new iPhone 3gs ( what I'm using to write this post ) will be outdated by the time I finish my contract with t-mobile it's very easy to make daring statements about the future of technology. But one discussion that keeps comming up is the desicion factor that machines still aren't able to do. If a computer asks me if I want a blue wallpaper or a red one I can't reply with: " you decide " because the computer will need an input, I could make a random series of 1 and 0s and make it emulate a desicion based on that, but when it comes down to it, computers cant make decisions (yet). All we can do is build software, scripts and other clever stuff to make it look like a decision. So while thinking about this stuff I came up with an idea.Let's say you have a function, job whatever that requires the need for decision making, technically it could be done with machines ( lifting the stuff / moving it ) but there ain't no way software could make the decisions ( Wich pile where etc. ) Now let's say I made a game, a game that has repitition and a objective system. My first thought was an RPG, and we have a character, levels, enemies, and quests! And like wow for example no matter what char you choose the gameplay and routine work is the same. Even all the quests on every level be it 1 or 78, it's bassicly the same. What if you can link the process of completing a quest to a task of a machine in a factory? Now I hear u thinking "waaaay to ambitieus". Perhaps , but theoretically this is possible and the missing decission factor machines lack has been intergrated. I'm just putting this out there to ask for your opinions and something for you to think about, what are the technical complications? What would be a good example how this could be used? ( in theory ) what actions can be linked to what? Thanks for reading through my bad english.

I really do not understand where you are going with this. Your saying have machine that does a bunch of different tasks? I really am not getting you on this one. This is where I lose you.

What if you can link the process of completing a quest to a task of a machine in a factory?

Perhaps you could explain it to me in a different way?
As for machines being able to make decisions on their own personally don't think its probable. I mean we could make machines do certain things based on certain things, etc. But it will always come down to what we tell it to do. I don't think it would be possible to make machine that could think for itself.

Perhaps you could explain it to me in a different way?
As for machines being able to make decisions on their own personally don't think its probable. I mean we could make machines do certain things based on certain things, etc. But it will always come down to what we tell it to do. I don't think it would be possible to make machine that could think for itself.

yeah while rereading my post I see I wasn't very clear,
it's just a thought about the future, you are right machines can't make these decisions.
But what if we could represent the problem the machine is having in a visual manner to let's use the example of a gamer.
How much boxes it needs to switch, the person sitting behind the screen would sort that out in a matter of seconds, so during the game you can drop some decision making in between, so you have an input for the machine ( liftarm etc. )

And then add a system like myCENT, the players could get paid for these things.
You might ask why not put a guy behind that machine? Well a human mind is way more expensive long term.

I hope this makes more sense

Humans make decisions based on their goal. Machines can be set to have goals. So could you point out (with some evidence and logic, preferably) some core differences between human making decisions and software making decisions. Because now it seems like you're saying that people make decisions randomly based on nothing.:angel:

Humans make decisions based on their goal. Machines can be set to have goals. So could you point out (with some evidence and logic, preferably) some core differences between human making decisions and software making decisions. Because now it seems like you're saying that people make decisions randomly based on nothing.:angel:

we know that machines make decisions based on their input. It's very predictable.
human decisions, that's a bit harder to define. Based on experience, knowledge, gut feeling?
whatever the case it allows to do alot more then input dependend machine.
We both can have goals yes, but a computer is not creative enough to script it's own path towards the end result if you set the initial condition.

And I didn't ment to say humans are random, just a little bit more advanced perhaps.
Edited by Samleeuwenburg (see edit history)

Maybe we can make the machine to be able to 'think' by giving it some hyper-ultra-extra-giga smart AI? We know that human make their decisions and decide what they will do based on many things such as experience, knowledge, feeling, friends, bravery, love, and other things. Let's say that you managed to make this super smart AI which able to think, react, and learn new things (maybe save them in a folder called 'AI experience'), then make it able use its experience folder to decide based on its experiences. For example in RPG, imagine that the monsters decided equipped theirselves with fire resistance shield because they found out that you are a fire wizard. Now that's really smart.Though, It's hard to make some 'human feelings' for the AI, and i don't think it can be done. Not yet, i don't know. I mean, how to make the AI how to love? Or feeling happy when someone give it a free holiday ticket for a whole year? Or feeling afraid when it fall from 999th floor? So in the point at the moment, maybe we can make an AI that can decide based on its experience before, where it learnt new stuffs. But we can't make it more capable to decide by adding human feeling there. Do you think AI have hearts?

Do you think AI have hearts?

it's a good question to ask, because if we could replicate the human way of making decisions then if you would ask the machine if it feels. It would say yes, but we can't know for sure. Still it's the same as asking another human being if they feel, you can't know for sure. Nevertheless analog or digital i think there is no difference, what we call soul / ghost in the machine is not unique to cellular things i think. But then again we can't know for sure

I can think of one example where your initial idea will be applicable. Imagine a soldier robot that is actually controlled by a person who is playing first person shooting game. The person who plays the game might not know what is happening in real life and only think it is a game or simulation. But in real life the robot is killing enemies and reaching objectives thanks to the human player making intelligent choices for the robot. Apart from first person shooters i can't really imagine any other viable scenarios where game players will be controlling robots in real time/life.

We assume our system of machinery is perfect, therefore we never go back to revise what could possibly be wrong.Say I made an expo marker that could write on a whiteboard and do other stuff. People will start using my expo marker forever and ever and ever and will never go about making a new type of marker. The expo marker will become the "standard".When ever have we gone back and tried to recreate our machines entirely from scratch (not taking into account the old AT ALL) to get a better result? We just assume that it's the right way to do it and that there's no possible way of making it better.