xisto Community
Jonnyabc

A Forum For...um, My Website? Discuss stuff, people

Many updates contain security updates as well. And seeing unique cms/forum code is easily noticeable even if you cover up the tracks (people will try hacking your site when the security treats in older s/w versions are publicly available), you would still need security updates even if you've modded the crap out of the software.
And Jonny, as anwiii already mentioned, you need to take a LOT of updates. Especially with forums. Every 1-5 days.

The modifications to the software could also be security modifications. Normally, the forum developers provide an in-depth change log, so you can go through it and see if it is worth upgrading. If you are going to be modding up a forum, upgrading will be an annoying task. If there is nothing worth upgrading for, then you can avoid upgrading and avoid the hassle. Plus, upgrades may include new security exploits that managed to creep in without the knowledge of the developers.

Oops, I said "you need to take a lot of updates", What I meant was taking a lot back-ups... stupid me!Anyway, those security updates sometimes have something to do with the core scripts, and it's more difficult, I would say it's easier to mod your mods to work with the next version instead of modding the core and fix vulnerabilities? This is of course, if you haven't made modifications to the core...