xisto Community
Jonnyabc

True Holograms / Holographs Production costs?

Got a question, whether it pertains more or less to shopping versus science and technology, but nevertheless, I am interested in finding something out. I don't want to give away any details as to the project/product I am working on, but here are the general specifics.1) I want to know if a holograph could be made that extends a good 10 feet way from it's source.2) Can holograms withstand typical outdoor weather conditions?3) If the source of a hologram is covered with a protective shielding, and has water or oil on its surface, will it still produce an image (even if it is slightly warped due to the liquid)?4) Can a standard hologram be manufactured (where each hologram is identical) with these specifications, at a low price, such as $10 or less (not including excess parts)?Thanks!

1) I want to know if a holograph could be made that extends a good 10 feet way from it's source.

A holograph or hologram is based on the material producing it and creating the effect. So, can you see the hologram from 10 feet away? Yes. Just look at a driving licence or something else with a hologram on it and you'll still be able to see it from 10 feet away.

2) Can holograms withstand typical outdoor weather conditions?

Holograms are usually mounted on plastic and coated with a clear protective layer. This generally makes them fairly water and weather proof.

3) If the source of a hologram is covered with a protective shielding, and has water or oil on its surface, will it still produce an image (even if it is slightly warped due to the liquid)?

Water, yes. Oil, depends. Water will act to distort the image you see, but the image will still be visible, although it may be distorted by beads of water acting in a similar way to a lens. Oil can be more of a problem as it can cause interference patterns which destroy any chance of seeing the image, but does create pretty colours :)

4) Can a standard hologram be manufactured (where each hologram is identical) with these specifications, at a low price, such as $10 or less (not including excess parts)?

Holograms that are mass manufactured are fairly cheap - they appear on ID cards, event tickets, money-off vouchers and loads of other places.

I get the feeling from your questions that you are actually looking for something like a volumetric 3D display or projector rather than a hologram, but correct me if I'm wrong.

A holograph or hologram is based on the material producing it and creating the effect. So, can you see the hologram from 10 feet away? Yes. Just look at a driving licence or something else with a hologram on it and you'll still be able to see it from 10 feet away.

I know you can "see" it from 10 feet away...what I am asking is, how easy is it to CREATE a hologram that is "virtually" 10ft? We're looking at a simple box or cube that extends from the source. If that is what you mean by:

I get the feeling from your questions that you are actually looking for something like a volumetric 3D display or projector rather than a hologram, but correct me if I'm wrong.

...then yes. I really do not want a "projector". It would not be unlike the World Trades Center tower lights that they display at night on 9/11, except that this is see-able in broad daylight.

I want to mount a hologram in an outdoor environment that consists of a single holographic box (or column), no more than 2ft x 2ft x 2ft, that extends about 10 ft away from the photo source. Don't know if that makes sense, and if it does, what I'm trying to accomplish from it...this is no ordinary driver's license hologram...but my idea would have a useful purpose, not an ornamental one.

I know you can "see" it from 10 feet away...what I am asking is, how easy is it to CREATE a hologram that is "virtually" 10ft? We're looking at a simple box or cube that extends from the source. If that is what you mean by:

...then yes. I really do not want a "projector". It would not be unlike the World Trades Center tower lights that they display at night on 9/11, except that this is see-able in broad daylight.

I want to mount a hologram in an outdoor environment that consists of a single holographic box (or column), no more than 2ft x 2ft x 2ft, that extends about 10 ft away from the photo source. Don't know if that makes sense, and if it does, what I'm trying to accomplish from it...this is no ordinary driver's license hologram...but my idea would have a useful purpose, not an ornamental one.

To get it clear:

Hologram: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Volumetric display: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you're talking about projecting what appears to be a virtual object then you would need to use a volumetric projector/display. At the moment this is very new technology, and generally relies on very rapidly projecting small sections of the object on to a light diffuser, so quickly that your eye can't tell and you appear to see a whole object. Doing this for less than $10 at the moment is an impossibility. Also, due to the very precise nature of the systems involved, water or oil on the surface of the projection system would ruin the resulting image, so it most likely wouldn't work that well in an outdoor environment. However, coatings for glass have been developed that mean water runs right off rather than beading on the surface, which could alleviate this issue.

Wow I felt stupid reading this at first because I thought he was talking about like Space stuff holograms. Then I hear talk about drivers licenses and I was so confused. So hes definetly talking about like Holographs thought that was the right word for them? I guess not I didn't know it even existed yet. So yes Volumetric display was what I was thinking of when I read this topic. I do not understand what you mean by protecting it. If I am understanding you correctly couldn't you just put glass over it? Like a glass box of some sort? This topic is really confusing me because this technology I thought was advanced so how could you do it for 10 dollars?

If I have no idea what I am talking about please delete this

I do not understand what you mean by protecting it. If I am understanding you correctly couldn't you just put glass over it? Like a glass box of some sort? This topic is really confusing me because this technology I thought was advanced so how could you do it for 10 dollars?

My invention would have to be something that has to be strong enough that a LOT of weight would not crush it. As for the price, I am inquiring if $10 is possible for the holograph.