xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ENDY_JASMI

Defining Genius In My Own Terms This is totaly my own thinking...No Scientific proven

What are Genius actually?

A genius (plural genii or geniuses,[1] adjective ingenious) is a person, a body of work, or a singular achievement of surpassing excellence

quated from Wikipedia

A genius is people with the ability to read few step a head of normal human. Example in math maybe? or even in other simple thing like chess game to a more complex thing like our life. Common thought are that all the genius is borned to know everything. Based on my previous encounter with the child genius, they are just a normal child like us! The only difference is that they think few step a head of us in a logical way. For example, when you tell a genius child about some chemistry thing like how temperature changes, instead of accepting it they would reply you with another question and another question till they understand it.The best way out from this kind of situation is just tell them how does the atom bond together and complicated stuff like that. Isn't it convenience? They are basicaly a logic "MACHINE".

I would like to stress ONE point before I proceed, Genius is just a person who can calculate few step a head of normal people. In most cases espeacially when we solving some mathemathical problem, we often found ourself skipping some of the calculation step. Does this mean we are genius? Sadly, no. Geniuses can calculate way better then that. But, there is a little bit of hope to becoming a smarter person by thinking! Train our mind continuously in any place and anytime. One of method to train our mind is "CHESS". By playing a lot of chess, you are training your mind to calculate(some people prefer to use the word "predict") a head of your opponent. This may take a very long time but hey! So what if it does take time? If you dont have chance now, why dont you start by teaching your children how to play chess? So, after practice and practice and practice. You can be smarted than most common people! Against genius? you dont stand a chance but who care, we practice to improve ourself anyway.

For certain, one can hardly beat a genius because that is how they are born to think like that while we are trained to. Which of the case is better? Borned or Trained? Either way, both of the choice can make people smarter in some way or another.

What good is being genius when the other aspects of life is average?For example, a person can really excel in the game of chess, but he/she cannot tie the shoes or relate to other people in normal manner, what good is being excelled in chess only?If genius is defined by extreme excellence in one aspect, I would call that a handicap. And if genius can be trained, i.e. the example of training the mind with playing chess, isn't that only training the analytical aspect of the brain? Which then leaves the other brain functions in the dark, like creative and artistic side.Computation only should not define what is genius. Genius also defines establishment and workmanship manufactured or created by a genius or by genius design (either by random or purpose).I once defined genius as the profound ability to express unique ideas with unique words. And the expression is not only with mere words but it can be works of art or compositions of things. And I further extend the idea that to recognize and appreciate the works of genius is also part of being genius. After all, what good is producing genius when no one can appreciate its ingeniousness?

Your definition for genius can declare literally any one (or thing) as a genius by manipulating your point of comparison. If we are merely assuming that a genius is one that excels higher than another conscious being, then we can easily turn a "normal" person (note, you still have yet to define what a "normal" person is—the implication for it doesn't really show any contrast with a "genius") into a "genius." This process is further simplified by the lack of specifics within the definition. That is, if i pick two "average"-looking people, i can easily declare them both geniuses though they don't excel at the same things.Regardless, i see no difference between your definition of the word and the one you quote from Wikipedia. Therefore i don't think you have achieved the goal of defining things on your own terms. Nevertheless, i wouldn't expect anyone to define a word entirely different than what it is commonly accepted as, for words serve a practical use. This practical use is often assumed during the time of attempting to think of a new definition for it. But due to the fact of how easy it is to manipulate this word, we could probably argue it to be useless anyway.

What good is being genius when the other aspects of life is average?
For example, a person can really excel in the game of chess, but he/she cannot tie the shoes or relate to other people in normal manner, what good is being excelled in chess only?

If genius is defined by extreme excellence in one aspect, I would call that a handicap. And if genius can be trained, i.e. the example of training the mind with playing chess, isn't that only training the analytical aspect of the brain? Which then leaves the other brain functions in the dark, like creative and artistic side.

Computation only should not define what is genius. Genius also defines establishment and workmanship manufactured or created by a genius or by genius design (either by random or purpose).

I once defined genius as the profound ability to express unique ideas with unique words. And the expression is not only with mere words but it can be works of art or compositions of things. And I further extend the idea that to recognize and appreciate the works of genius is also part of being genius. After all, what good is producing genius when no one can appreciate its ingeniousness?

Sounds like your defining autism :) someone I know is autistic and is extremely good at math. Hes a sophomore now taking math courses that most seniors don't get to see. I just thought a genius was someone with a higher intelligence then the average person.

Maybe some of you may ask what's the purpose of being a genius if and only if you are not good with other thing...but in my first post, I related playing chess with becoming smarter. Chess is a game which closely related to logic and so do the logic closely related to number. By mastering number, maybe we can control the flow of currrency? Maybe becoming a rich person would not be that difficult? Anyway, all of this is just my perspective on the topic.

Train my mind with chess? I must say that when I was a child a lot of teachers and partners say me that I was a genius only because I was the best in the classroom and I calificate to a national math olimpycs, I have to admite that i was happy with this situation because who don?t want to be called a genius? But a few years ago I fell in the reality after watching a documentary about Einstein and Isaac Newton that the persons that we maybe think that deserve to be called genius only for his grade notes aren?t geniuses at all. I am one of the best in the university actually but to be called a genius is truth: You have to use your mind in a logic way that the other people can?t. And this use that you make with your mind have to discover or create something new, revolutionary and useful to the human race.Based in my personal definition about a genius now you can note that there had existed a lot of humans who were geniuses and if you want that I write the names of some of the people that I think are genius there is the list: Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton for the physic, Max Plank and Niels Borh for the chemistry, Enrico Fermi for the nuclear chain reaction, Henry Ford for the cars and for the revolutionary capitalist way to based a economic in a mass production, and other and others.But in our society a genius is a person that study and study and study and graduate, get a good job and work all the day. At least that think my parents. They are so confused and that confusion make the people live frustated when they fall in the reality that the preparation is not everything. And Why do have to be a genius a person who dedicated all his life to learn the things that other people discovered or created? A genius is not who learn what a real genius discovered or created. Repeat and repeat who the other people discovered or said is not be a genius. If a repeater can be a real genius then the birds who can repeat the words that they listen are genius too, and we know that this is not truth.So all we can be a genius remember Einsten reprobed Math and he is maybe the most bigger genius with Isaac Newton.Ohh, and the first thing that I was to discute I almost forgive that. The mind can be trained playing chess because the chess is a sport and maybe yeah you can train some part of your mind with chess specially the memory but the greatest chess players of all the time weren?t intelligent than their rivals and that is psycologic comprobed. The reason because a chess player can defeat to his oponnent is the practice and it?s proved that the instict that they develop after years of practice is the wheapon that they finally use to defeat to his rivals.This test about chess were make with the russian player Garry Kasparov aproximately ten years ago. So Kasparov is a very intelligent man but the chess is not the 100% reason about his intelligent.So this is my definition of genius.Regards.

Your definition for a genius maybe is not correct and I will tell you why. First of all any people borns knowing everything that is imposible and it is logical to see it in all the children that today born and they dont have anything more that their instincts to live. And now I want to tell you a little more things about your definition that maybe you are rigth and it this: Everybody can be a genius. A genius have one or more steps ahead normal people.

This is real and rigth. This step ahead people give them the advantage and maybe like someone says a handicap.

Now i will tell you how we can define a genius and maybe how everybody can be a genius and how almost everybody never will be genius.

We will take to some of the greatest genius of all time: Albert Einstein. Albert Einstein was not a good student in the school, he was an average student in the high school and in the university. When he was 25 nobody believed that Einstein someday will be a genius. What was the spot that make Einstein a genius? A lot: discipline, imagination and time. Time can be defined like practice.

Albert start to think and act like a genius when we worked in an average job(if we can say it like this) and almost all the free time he invested it in thinking, imagination, mind experimentation.

Once you see this you can think Albert Einstein borns like everybody, had an average childness(all the stories about Einstein solving math problems when he was a child are absolutely fake), was an average student, but once he started to think and to develop his work, his intellingence, he could solve some of the extremely difficult physics problem and be considerated some of the greatest minds in the history.

Now we have analyzed to Albert Einstein we can expose some of the features that all genius have to have to be considerated a real genius:

1. Develop his capacity in one aspect of the life more than the average human beings. This is the logical feature, all the genius have more capacity than the other people in one aspect of the life(math, chess, sports, careers, etc...)

2. Do things that any other man have done until today. This is a critical feature too. The genius have to do the things like any other had could do. This is the peak of this discussion and maybe this is the real difference between the intelligent people and the genius people. A genius create new things the intelligent people can only reproduce the things that already exist.

For example if I study the theory of relativity and learn of the aspects of it and I can speak like an expert in all the forums about this theory I am not a genius, I am only the enough intelligent to understand all the aspects of the theory and reproduce them all the time. I had no create anything. I am not a genius.

3. The geniuses dont born with all their capacities. Another critical aspect is this. All the people see in the television a child who can solve difficult math solves for his age. Everybody says that is a little genius. But the question is: How much of these children that are shown in the television programs make something great when they grow?? The answer: a few and maybe anybody.

The practice make the master(and the geniuses) not their DNA.

CONSIDERATION: Now I have exposed all this I can finish with this consideration. Everybody can be genius but almost everybody never will be a genius. Be a genius need sacrifice and maybe all of us are not ready to make this sacrifice.

So we have to learn first and later create and make the things like anyone before to someday be a genius.

There is not any more way.

Bye.

Edited by fermin25 (see edit history)

My definition of a genius:A person that has better logic and analysis skills than the average person.i.e. higher intelligenceGenerally speaking, this relates mostly to mathematical and scientific things. If you refer to a genius painter, then the word you want is creative, not genius. Same goes for dexterity for sculpting (or any thing else having to do with hand work).If we talk only about being ahead of the other person, then computers are way ahead of any human while doing mathematical things; however, a human is generally more genius than a computer. Computers can be better at chess, reversi and all other logical games.Perhaps giving an example of a computer is not very appropriate since all their hardware is working on one thing at a time whereas a human has to process much much more data.Oh, well...