Pohe (Vegetarian) - Maharashtrian Style

1 cup Pohe

1/2 spn Turmeric powder

1/2 Mustard seeds

1/4 spn Hing

Oil for cooking

Salt to taste

Method:

wash pohe and keep aside. Heat oil. Add mustard seeds. After they start spluttering add hing. Now add Pohe and salt. cook till done.

Garnish with farsan/Mixture, onions, tomatoes,cilatro. Serve with a lemon and coriandar.

Share if you have any good recipe.

Are there English words for Pohe and Hing? Farsan? I have no idea what those ingredients are. I'd like to try your Indian food recipes, but I don't even know what the main ingredient is. I know a few 'Indian' words from my experience with other recipes..but not those ones.

Pohe is beaten rice. I am not sure whether Pohe is the name of the end product of this recipe or the main ingredient (beaten rice). There are two types of beaten rice available, one is paper thin and other is a bit thicker. Generally for this recipe, thicker beaten rice is used. Yes, its like Farsan, but its not crunchy, as its soaked in water.

Hing is known as Asafoetida in English.

Asafoetida? If that's the English word, I've never heard of it before. It's also known as "Devil's Dung" ? Wow, that's an appetizing name for a food :)

Egg Biriyani

Ingredients:

4 Egg

1 cup rice

2 onion

2 tomato

3 spn oil

1 tablespn mustard seed

1 tablespn turmeric powder

1 tablespn red chilly powder

1 tablespn jeera powder

1 tablespn Asafoetida powder

Salt to taste

1 small bowl grenn peas

3 green chilly

Little bit ginger

Preparation:

Take rice in one bowl and add 2 cup water,salt 1 spoon,butter little bit and green peas, put it in micowave for 15 min.

then boil the Egg's. then cut onion and tomatos and make chilly-ginger past. take fry pan and heat the oil in it. and then add asafoetide, chilly-ginger past and onion. then fry it till onion will be brown colour.

then add tomatos and all powders and salt to taste. and you can also add garam masala. then cook it till whole water burn. then add cooked rice in it and mix it well . then add small pices of boiled Egg's.

add coriandar leave for garnish.

Egg biriyani is ready. Serve with curd.

I was tried Yesterday. it was really really very yummy.

Semolina Uttapa :

Ingredients:

3 bowl semolina

2 onion

2 tomatos

3-4 green chilly

1.5 cup curd

1 spoon gram flour(Optional)

oil for frying

Salt to taste

1 tablespn jeera powder

Preparation:

Take Semolina in one big bowl.Add all Ingredients except oil. then mix it well. then some warm water in it and mix it till comes little thin.then leave it upto 1-2 hour. then take frying pan, heat 1 spoon oil and put 2-3 big spoon and spread it in pan. gas would be on medium flam. then fry until crispy brown.

Its ready to Eat.

serv hot Semolina Uttapa with green paste or with tomato ketchup.

Bread Roll's

Ingredients:

Thik bread slice

2 potato

1 onion

2 green chilly

1 tablespn jeera powder

1 table spoon sugar

1 table spoon lemon juce.

Sat to taste

oil for deep fry

Preparation:

Boil potatos.mash it and add all ingredients. fry onion and then add it.take bowl of water and add 1 spn salt. slight deep one breead slice in it then put one spoon potato mash in center of the bread. then make a ball of bread. then heat oil on medium flam and deep fry the ball till comes crispy brown.

Serve hot bread Roll with tomato ketchup.

Edited by kshan (see edit history)

Dhokla

PREPARATION

You will need a steamer set up. I don't own a steamer so I jury rig one by inverting a heat proof bowl in a large dutch oven, and then placing an 8"x8" baking dish on the inverted bowl.

Mix the besan flour, sugar, salt, turmeric, ginger, and crushed chile pepper in a medium bowl.

Whisk in water until batter is smooth and no lumps remain.

Cover batter and allow batter to rest at least 10 minutes and up to four hours.

While batter is resting, lightly oil steamer insert, and bring water to boil in steamer.

When steamer is ready to go, quickly add baking soda to the batter. Mix gently but thoroughly. The goal is to work quickly enough that the batter can go on the heat before all of the baking soda and lemon juice react with one another, but thoroughly enough that you will not end up with leaden lumps of baking soda in the finished bread.

Place batter in steamer and cover tightly. Cook for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

While bread is steaming, heat the remaining oil in a very small frying pan, or in the bowl of a large metal ladle. When oil is shimmering, add the mustard seeds, and fry until seeds pop. Use the mustard oil and chopped cilantro to garnish.

The majority of the fat in this recipe can be eliminated by omitting the mustard oil garnish.

Muthia - A Gujarati Recipe

Ingrediants:

1 Cup gram flour

3/4 Cup bajra flour

3/4 Cup wheat flour

1 tsp Cumin seed powder

1/4 tsp Turmeric powder

6 Crushed green chilli

2 Inch ginger, crushed

1 tsp Ajwain

1 Pinch asafoetida

6 tbsp Oil

3 tbsp Grated coconut

3 tbsp Chopped coriander

Salt to taste

Sugar to taste

Cloves garlic (optional)

How to make Muthia:

? Combine bajra flour, wheat flour, gram flour, salt and sugar in a big bowl.

? Add cumin seed powder, turmeric powder, crushed green chillies, crushed garlic, and crushed ginger.

? Mix properly and knead lightly.

? Shape into long thin rolls with your fingers.

? Steam for half an hour or until cooked.

? Heat oil, add ajwain seeds and asafoetida.

? Add muthia and fry until brown.

? Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.

Egg Biriyani

Now you've got my mouth watering and stomach juices conspiring against me, and I've just eaten. In other words, you're making me damn hungry. A few questions: when you say rice are you referring to Indian basmati? I do have a wonderful source of it if that's the case. Is there a western-available herb I can replace the jeera powder with? Or perhaps it's not a necessary ingredient? You mention oil in the recipe as opposed to ghee. Which oil? I was always under the impression ghee (clarified butter) was the cooking fat of choice in Indian cuisine. Believe it or not I have all the other ingredients, including the mysterious "devil dung."