xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lauren1

Wireless Printer Resets Router When Connected Wireless printer resets router when connected

Hi,I have a wireless internet conection at home and an SMC router that I rent through my provider. I just got a wireless Canon PIXMA MP560 printer for Christmas. I can connect the printer to my router/network, but as soon as it connects, my router resets and I lose internet access on my computer. I know this is a common problem with SMC routers and HP wireless printers, but I thought Canon would be OK. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? I want to take advantage of my printers wireless capabilties.

Maybe it's a problem with SMC router and you may never be able to solve the situation until you change your router.The common misconception is that you have to have printer that has wireless built-in to have wireless printing setup. This is untrue. And you do not have to have wireless print server to have wireless printing either.All you need is a printer connected to a wireless router via print server. Illustration:Any network (built-in) printer ===== print server ===== wireless routerWhen you connect to wireless router you can print "wirelessly" to the printer because it's all networked. Canon printer does not have built-in network interface. You will need a print server (about $10-$40). With a print server you can turn any printer into wireless, along with wireless router. To enable wireless printing in your situation, you'll need to change your SMC router to that of more stable router service. A new wireless router cost average of $50 these days.You can also Ad-Hoc your laptop or pc with wireless card to connect directly to the Wi-Fi Canon Printer. But this allows you to be severed from the rest of the network. Ad-Hoc is almost like P2P where you connect directly only to the device.

Hi!Most wireless routers that you find on store shelves do not really work as advertised. They often have to be re-booted and have stability problems. I have a Siemens Gigaset SpeedStream router that turns off its wireless. I've tried using the re-boot option in the administration tool provided but that simply restarts the router without starting up the wireless interface, although the settings explicitly indicate that the wireless interface should be active. The LED shows that the wireless interface is down too. A restart using the power switch/button gets the wireless interface up again.I am thinking about getting a different wireless router, perhaps a D-Link, LinkSys or a NetGear ADSL router, but my ISP seems to want to replace all ADSL connections with fibre optic connections and provide a minimum bandwidth of 1Mbps on all of those connections so I think I'll wait for a few months rather than getting an ADSL router now and having to send it to the landfill when the switchover to fibre optic takes place.