xisto Community
harrison858

Cool Lcd Screen A LCD that can sense/scan 3d objects

Official Article: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (December 15th)

Some guy named Ramesh Raskar at MIT's Media Lab made a prototype LCD Screen that can sense the object or objects infront of it.

It works similar like a touch screen, only, you dont have to touch it. There are 2 cameras, with many "pinholes" that act as lenses, to see the object infront of it :P

Your hands can dilate the image, Zooming in or zooming out, by simply moving your hand closer or further away. They can also rotate the 3-d image by moving left to right.

--

Another cool feature about this is that if you place a 3d object infront of it, and start rotating, moving it side to side, up/down in every direction, it can scan the object and make a 3-d figure out of it!

Imagine what this could be used for!

It would be easier to form a 3d object, whether its in medical or gaming. Or gaming. :D

Watch the video :P It gives a brief explanation.

Pretty cool, huh?

What do you guys think? ^^

Edited by harrison858 (see edit history)

Something kind of like this was done years ago, albeit in a different manner. There was a video on YouTube that you can probably still find entitled something along the lines of "wooden mirror". In that video, it's demonstrated how a series of cameras placed at certain angles, coupled with a computer, could recreate a scene by rotating a canvas of wooden blocks. (As the name implies, it was used to create a wooden mirror, such that when people walked past, they'd see the blocks rotate to reflect light at different angles and re-form the image in a sort of monochromatic manner.(On second thought, it might have only used one camera and just detected different shades of light on the subject, which seems simple enough. At any rate, it's worth a look.)

harrison858,

Dude! What's wrong with the link? I click and some spam anti-virus started to download with message like "your system is infected..."

Are you sure the link is legit?

WARNING READERS!!!

Although the article intended to be read are safe, the advertisements included in the site of newscientist.com are not the responsibility of Xisto. Please be careful! I had three separate instances where "your systems is infected, download to scan..." were popped up and messed around with my browser.

I don't see ads, as I use hosts file. So those types of scan your system ads are not visible to me.

I think there is another research going on at MIT media labs. Pranav mistry doing similar innovations, what he calls sixth sense technology. Very interesting video. There practical daily use are still long way, because we are not yet used to having tech gadgets stuck to our body all day.

@harrison: yes those gaming possibilities are possible, check the video link I posted above, it shows that, and also taking snaps with hands!

Edited by BCD (see edit history)

Hi!@BCDPranav Mistry's innovation is rather close to seeing practical daily use. Nokia has a 2D bar code scanner software that enables you to use the phone's camera to capture a bar code off your computer screen so you never have to type in a URL using the phone's keypad - you can simply use software on your computer (which may become available as a browser add-on in future) to convert the URL into a 2D bar code, and can then take a picture of the screen using the phone's camera which is then processed by the phone to load the URL into the phone's web browser.Mistry's work can take the concept of using a cellular phone's camera for purposes other than video of photography to the next level and can lead to far greater possibilities in future.@harrison858Using new technology for computer gaming can be quite expensive - virtual reality headsets and wearable motion sensors have yet to see widespread use. Nintendo's Wii does take a step in the direction but the Wii platform isn't really a mainstream gaming platform such as the Microsoft XBox 360 or the Sony PlayStation 3.